• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kreve

Design Director
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a promotion and will be relocating close to the equator. I basically have to replace my entire wardrobe and I'm considering getting the Sony Reon Pocket 2 - a personal induction air conditioner device you wear. Not even sure the thing works, just know it's gonna be hot and I will be prone to burning. It's gonna be a struggle to appear fashionable when it's so hot.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently tempted by the 2021 iPad mini. It seems like it would be ideal to read library books on. I have an 11" iPad Pro and an iPhone 12 Pro and have read books on both. I don't need a mini. It just seems like the perfect size to be more portable with though. Hundreds of dollars for a niche product though that fills a pretty narrow gap between the devices I already have. That purple though *drool*.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
My recent bullshit purchases were preorders for Playdate and Steamdeck. Less bullshit but definitely unnecessary is a decent coffee grinder. I currently have a cheap grinder (Cuisine Art maybe?) that I like just fine, and I'm not a coffee snob, but after watching some James Hoffman videos I'm tempted to buy a better grinder to see what I'm missing out on.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I just got a promotion and will be relocating close to the equator. I basically have to replace my entire wardrobe and I'm considering getting the Sony Reon Pocket 2 - a personal induction air conditioner device you wear. Not even sure the thing works, just know it's gonna be hot and I will be prone to burning. It's gonna be a struggle to appear fashionable when it's so hot.
Well damn, this is now some bullshit I'm thinking about buying

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Ugh started watching diecast car youtube and bought some "mid range" 1/64 cars at $10 a pop and can't stop thinking about getting more

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Been thinking about getting a new phone. While my galaxy S9 is only a little over 3 years old, it occasionally has issues when talking on the phone, where people can't hear what I'm saying. And since I'm applying for jobs, I can't afford to have issues if I'm getting important calls. That and the battery doesn't last as long, and the wifi reception sucks.

Ugh started watching diecast car youtube and bought some "mid range" 1/64 cars at $10 a pop and can't stop thinking about getting more

Just don't start looking at 1:18 AutoArt models.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Been thinking about getting a new phone. While my galaxy S9 is only a little over 3 years old, it occasionally has issues when talking on the phone, where people can't hear what I'm saying. And since I'm applying for jobs, I can't afford to have issues if I'm getting important calls. That and the battery doesn't last as long, and the wifi reception sucks.

Just don't start looking at 1:18 AutoArt models.
Yeah luckily I only had a couple bigger models when I was a kid as opposed to buckets and buckets of hot wheels, so 1/64 is all I have nostalgia for now. Also luckily the most expensive 1/64 brands don't really interest me since they usually don't roll in order to get more details on the brake rotors and calipers.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I really want to learn about and purchase/set up NAS to run my Plex server off of- it's currently just running off my MacBook, and it's kinda a pain from there. Seems a bit daunting to get started with, since I know essentially nothing about networking.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard in my cart on an online guitar store and I'm just a couple of pints away from hitting the "confirm purchase" button. I just spent £1,500 on another new guitar a couple of month ago and that is the only thing stopping me from taking the plunge.

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
Surface Duo - second hand. Not even to use as a primary but more to play with.

I have a perfectly functioning Fold 2 as a primary

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
I am mighty tempted to spend $600 for a custom mechanical keyboard. The rational half of me is seriously questioning the other half.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard in my cart on an online guitar store and I'm just a couple of pints away from hitting the "confirm purchase" button. I just spent £1,500 on another new guitar a couple of month ago and that is the only thing stopping me from taking the plunge.
do it, they don't get cheaper.

Quilter Mach 3 combo and three pedals incoming here.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I have a great bluetooth speaker already, but I recently bought the divroom tivoo speaker, which also have a pixel screen, so you can download pixel animations and lots of different features and functions. Just wanted it as a cool little "gadget" to have on my desk. Really cheap as well and surprisingly good sound (I have the small one, not Max)

Divoom-Tivoo-Portable-Bluetooth-speaker-Smart-Clock-Alarm-Pixel-Art-DIY-by-App-LED-Light-Sign.jpg

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Thinking of getting the iPhone 13 mini to replace my XR. My XR is still good - 94% battery health left. I just want a smaller phone. hmm.

Oct 25, 2017
An MX Master 3.

It's on sale, it's a fine productivity mouse, and it'd make perfect sense for somebody who needed one, but I've got a gajillion mice in perfect working order.

I have a weird mouse addiction.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking of getting the iPhone 13 mini to replace my XR. My XR is still good - 94% battery health left. I just want a smaller phone. hmm.

just did this and have no regrets! Trade in promos are really aggressive this cycle so depending on carrier, you won't have to pay much for a 13 mini. Much prefer the size and weight to my XR and the screen and cameras are massive upgrades! Battery seems about on par too

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
just did this and have no regrets! Trade in promos are really aggressive this cycle so depending on carrier, you won't have to pay much for a 13 mini. Much prefer the size and weight to my XR and the screen and cameras are massive upgrades! Battery seems about on par too

We don't have any decent trade in promos here sadly so it will be a one off purchase. I guess I can send in my XR to Apple for some credit but thinking of using it as a back up. Glad you're enjoying the 13 mini!

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I came very close to dropping £300 on a motorised desk from Costco because I like the idea of occasionally having a standing desk.

To be fair, it seems pretty reasonable for what you're getting.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
New washer and dryer. The ones we have are 20 years old, but they still do the job, but the only real issues is that the timer on the washer can sometimes stop the wash at the same exact point each time it happens (you can turn it off and on to get it going again) and that they are pretty damn noisy.

Not sure if it's worth it to get new ones entirely... what do you guys think?

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Air fryer.

My deep fryer is in need of replacement- just trying to hold out til Black Friday for deals.

Hesitant cause I need to adjust recipes to be gluten free. I just found my trick(s) to doing gluten free wet batters- now I to come up with dry batters. GF bread is expensive just to turn into bread crumbs for trial and error method.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to buy one of those echo speakers, it would be nice to not use iphone speakers to listen to podcasts while cooking.

Maybe during black friday...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't felt the desire to buy any BS for a while.

The most close I've been is a 34+ inch sized ultra wide. I blame work. They upgraded all our monitors as a further move to entice us to be in the office (it's working). I love it for productivity and it makes WFH seem like a step back on my 27 inch. My desk feels like it might be kind of small for it (or I just need to get rid of some stuff).

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Mac mini.

Since upgrading my PC and GPU is so ridiculous right now, it might be fun to change things up in a drastic way. Looking at the programs/games I use on a regular basis, it should work for 95% of my needs. And I'm kinda jealous of my wife's M1 Macbook Air. :)

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I can't buy any new lenses for my camera because of the damn chip shortage/supply chain nonsense so I'm sitting here revving myself up to replace my Surface Pro 3 with either a Surface Pro 8 or the new Macbook Pro 14" (whenever it finally gets released).

Fully specced up the SP8 would be about $2,200, the question is if the MBP will beat that price with at least 16gb of RAM and similar storage.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I've been inundated with ads on Youtube for these woodcut puzzles and as time goes on my interest in getting one goes up...and I don't even care for jigsaw puzzles.

81-Oi-RRe-NDw-L-AC-SL1500.jpg

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I just bought a car I didn't 100% need, but it's certainly going to be a nice upgrade from what we had.

To cut a long story short, we had a lease that ended just as COVID was starting, so we extended that for a few months... but even then it proved pretty difficult / impractical to actually find and buy a car, so on a compressed timeline we bought a used Jeep Compass. I hate it, and my wife hates it too. It's an absolute lemon: the central locking freezes up in winter so you have to climb in the boot; the suspension broke randomly; the front tyres wore down to the cords in just a few months (even though the alignment was fine); the tyre pressure monitoring system failed; it makes high pitched whistling noises for no reason; the infotainment crashes; and a bunch more nonsense.

So while we typically keep cars for 4 years or so, we're getting rid of this one after less than 18 months in favour of a car that (I hope) is going to continue working, and that will let you open the doors when the temperature is below zero. That's quite a bit of money I didn't WANT to spend, but from the point of view of saving money on repairs etc. and also having a nicer vehicle, it's money I'm ok spending.

I don't know if that qualifies as bullshit, but it feels sort of unnecessary but also sort of necessary, so there you go.

Oct 27, 2017
After last year's multiple snow storms on the east coast and me fucking my back up, I'm finally going to buy a godamn snowblower.

We also bought a new Mazda CX-5 GT in silver to replace my wife's Honda Civic. Great car!

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought some Sennheiser 560S's after my Tygr 300's randomly blew out on me and can't get a warranty replacement on them because of Brexit lmao.

Now I'm back in the audiophile rabbit hole and trying to convince myself to not buy some HiFiman Sundaras 👀

Oct 25, 2017
I like this thread's premise. Good work OP.

As of very late, it's been waaaay too many cheap Apple Watch bands off of Amazon.

I have ordered 20 so far, anything from faux, cheap leather ones in many different colors to rubber ("Nike Workout" ones with the holes in the band ) to metal-magnetic ones. Variety of colours.

I've made about 5 separate orders in the past month and a half. These are thin, fairly small watch bands shipped in over sized Amazon envelops. Probably getting here all the way from China!

So yeah... :/

However I like to try a different one on every day, match the colour to my wardrobe. As shallow as it sounds, I feel cool wearing them on my wrist. And been using my smartwatch a lot more now that I have these bands.

3/10 bullshit buy (size 44mm)

So yeah, I'm about to go and order some more. Maybe the stretchy, cloth ones.

Last edited:

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Even though I already own a handful of DOS and WIndows 9x PCs, I went online and bought a Thinkpad T41p as a retro XP laptop. After doing that, I liked it so much that I went and just bought a Thinkpad T41 (non-P) as a Windows 98 PC.

Definitely 8/10 bullshit - it's not like I didn't already have 3 or 4 other computers that could do exactly the same thing (including one that I built myself from all NOS parts about 3 years ago). At least they were only about $120 each - I've spent more money on far dumber things over the years.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want a 1080p projector. Nothing fancy. I figure those are pretty cheap now but have not done the research yet.

Been wanting one for a long while now. Well before 4k lol