• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you believe or think happens after death?

• Nothingness

Votes: 679 85.3%
  • Reincarnation

Votes: 30 3.8%
  • Eternal life

Votes: 45 5.7%
  • Loop theory

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 27 3.4%

• Total voters

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I would like for reincarnation or a loop, but I have no evidence for anything but nothing. If I could get my desired end, I want a multimedia wiki of history from the beginning to the end of time.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
After my late grandmother contacted me to say that she died in my dream, I have a hunch there is some kind of state of being after death. I should note what made the dream feel legitimate was that she was in a delirious state, as if she was in shock that she died.

What do you mean your grandma told you she died...? Like at the end Sixth Sense?? (not being rude, legit asking and relating it to something I think we'll both know)

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking a lot about this over the past few years. If there was another human born with the exact same brain/cerebrum makeup as you in the future, would you technically be reborn?

I think nothingness is the easy and logical answer, but I honestly have no idea what to even predict.

The same thing that happened before you were born... nothing because you didn't existed.

What if you did exist per loop theory but just have no memory of it?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
As a semi- agnostic, Im fine with nothing, certainly wont have the capacity to be surprised. But...

I would like to think, instead of pure judgement, if you were a good person, meaning you spend part of your life learning compassion, empathy, patience, there's some sort of obstacle that would be overcome with those skills.

Like, no one's going to say "you were bad, you fail", but selfish people just wont have the skill or experience to move onto another plane or whatever. If you worked on yourself, you see a wall and realize wait, I can make it over that. And then on to a new adventure.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be kinda cool if your brain entered some kind asymptotic, infinitesimally long dream sequence in the moments before death. But yeah, once your brain is gone, that is it.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea tbh. Not going to worry too much about this kind of stuff if it doesn't help me improve my life in some way.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean your grandma told you she died...? Like at the end Sixth Sense?? (not being rude, legit asking and relating it to something I think we'll both know)

Full story is she died in the hospital and my family returned home. I overheard them talking about her death from another room and I drifted off to sleep. In my dream, I was lying up in my bed and I was in a state of sleep paralysis. I could barely move my head to my left and that's when I saw her sitting on my bed. In the Vlach language that I speak, she said that grandma has gone away, but in a shocked tone. Out of the shock of seeing her (and her shocked expression) and the fact that I couldn't move comfortably in my bed, I "jerked" my head to my right sharply to attempt to get out of the dream. I suppose I sub-consciously understood I was in a dream state. I think had she spoke to me in a calmer tone, I would've stayed in the dream, if possible. She was living with me for a long time, so I think that had something to do with her visiting me.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm satisfied with our current understanding of consciousness: that it exists as an emergent property of biology, and isn't a seperate, distinct thing. So obviously we just switch off when we die. But it's fun to think about waking up in a VR chair or whatever.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
I believe there is a form of reincarnation that takes place, but not in the sense most people think of it. Some sort of Karmic energy that gets passed to another life. The person you are today, your identity, memories and relationships fade off into nothingness. But I believe there is a reason people can recall "past lives" and such, and that is because there is some sort of cosmic memory, sort of like a "soul" of a person, but it's not you as a human in any sense. I don't know, it's hard to explain but falls along the lines of what Buddhism and Hinduism believes.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
This could be a dream, so when we "die" we simply wake up in the reality we actual live in. We could be some random guy in a deep sleep in another country, or a completely different species sleeping in the sun on another planet in another universe. We're just in such a deep sleep we've forgotten who or what we really are and that's why this dream feels so realistic.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death is scary, but it has to be nothingness.

I wish I still believed in god and heaven and all that.

the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' only becomes more relevant the older I get.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Nothingness, and it doesn't scare me one bit.

I'm scared of dying though. I'm afraid of slowly losing my mind until every day is like a dream where I'm surrounded by strangers who claim to be my family. I'm scared of minutes, or hours, or weeks, or months, or years of excruciating pain with no way to make it stop. The nothingness is fine, and at that point, I'll welcome it.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
This could be a dream, so when we "die" we simply wake up in the reality we actual live in. We could be some random guy in a deep sleep in another country, or a completely different species sleeping in the sun on another planet in another universe. We're just in such a deep sleep we've forgotten who or what we really are and that's why this dream feels so realistic.

You wake up and you are a dog on an alien planet.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it isn't nothing :c hate the idea of just...not existing. That honestly terrifies me to no end.

Went ahead and searched about it. Loop theory very interesting though OP.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? Thread is not asking what happens. But what YOU believe happens. No one is trying to prove anything here.

I answered the question and explained why I "believe" that. Believing in anything else would require evidence.

This would be a lame thread if everyone just posted what they are voting for without saying anything else.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
zilch

though sometimes i wonder about a scenario thats like how the only part of dreams we remember is right before we wake up, and if that happens directly before death it might be interesting

but its basically impossible for me to imagine a lack of brain activity with my brain so like, thats not gonna be accurate

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I think it only makes sense for the next thing we know after death is gaining consciousness in some other form. Even if there's nothingness for near infinity in between until whatever ridiculous chances of shit we cant understand lines up, we won't feel the time anyway.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it...

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Born too late to explore the earth

Born too early to explore the galaxy

Born just in time to watch 90 Day Fiancé

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Consciousness is a trickster that draws an arbatory line in the sand between your feet and the ground you stand on. Once I'm dead I'll return to being a part of everything.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
People from the future copy your brain into the Matrix where you can live forever until a new body can be made for you

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Imma wake up in a medieval anime fantasy world idk why y'all wtf gonna happen to y'all

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I always think about this Roger Ebert quote when it comes to death

"I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. I am grateful for the gifts of intelligence, love, wonder and laughter. You can't say it wasn't interesting. My lifetime's memories are what I have brought home from the trip. I will require them for eternity no more than that little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower I brought home from Paris."

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
We are all children of the stars. Made from them, living among them and then returning to them in death.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
A part of me wants something like reincarnation. But in reality, I know the real answer is nothing. We just die, our consciousness disappears and either our body is cremated or become worm food.