• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 19, 2020
Switch and PS4 new off the shelf in 2018, both at Target. Everything since online, but since I'm not planning to get a PS5 or XSX until 2022 or 23, maybe I'll be able to get one in store by then.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U. Stopped buying consoles after this one and build a pc. Always had my eyes on a Switch though, but then the Steam Deck came around the corner.
Wish Steam had a polished tabletop collection as Nintendo's 51 Clubhouse Games. Tabletop Simulator felt like an early release game.

Artistic

Jan 3, 2018
I bought a used PS3 back in 2007 from GameStop if that counts, otherwise Xbox 360 back in Holiday 2006.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
My most recent Switch in 2019. I would never buy a console otherwise, if I order one online around here and it turns out bad, I'm screwed. Too much paperwork to return it.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Got the switch at launch by just sitting inside a walmart, but aside from that I also bought the ps4 a few months in by just going into a target.

The PS5 was actually my first online console purchase.

null_

Oct 27, 2017
OG 60gb PS3, on my way home from a bad day at work… everything since (PS4, PS4 pro, switch, vita) has been online…

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've always pre-ordered so, I'll just talk to which one I could have picked up off the shelf and that's the PS4 or Xbox One

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
One X was the last time I was able to just freely purchase a console at Costco.

The day I'm strolling through a store and see a PS5 digital just chilling is the day I buy one:. I already fought for my Series X, I'm not fighting again.

listerine

Jul 6, 2021
PS4 was the last console I purchased and I walked into a Gamestop to buy it with my tax return money during the launch window.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
PS5. Rumors they were showing up in Wal-Marts. Went in at 6 AM 3 days in a row with no luck. Shortly after getting home an inventory site said they were in stock. Went back and there it was

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think a 360 refurb circa 2012 at gamestop

i was semi-retired from gaming at the time so it was actually exciting. went home with bioshock, dark souls and Skyrim

mrtnmntrl

Nov 5, 2017
Montreal
Actually I honestly don't remember. Although I picked up my Skyward Sword Joycons in store last Friday because I haven't been able to get them online.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If we're including preorders, then it was the PS5 last year since I got one from preordering at my local GameStop.

If we're being super literal and excluding that, it would have been the Xbox One in, I think, 2014 or 2015. I just walked in and picked one up.

Roli

Apr 16, 2018
I think the PlayStation Classic was my last console purchased in store in 2018. However in terms of an actual console and not a collectors item, it would be the 2DS in 2015.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo DS and PSP. Only other in-store purchases were launch day pickups like the PS4 and Wii. Other consoles were all online delivery.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Pokeball themed 2DS, before that Blue Vita, before that PS3 Slim. Everything else has been ordered online and the PS5 was picked up in store.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I managed to snag my Series X by using inventory checkers and driving around on the weekend after launch week. Walked into Target and got it.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever bought a console online other than a Switch, which I ended up returning because I found one in stock at Walmart before it arrived.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I think PS3 super slim.
Anything more recent was preordered and/or delivered.

edit: actually come to think about it was the Wii U Mario Kart 8 bundle.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Think it was a PS3 to be honest.

3DS, PS4 and PS5 were all through Amazon

Switch was through Ebay

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
My Nintendo Switch, when they put out the revised version with the better battery life. I wanted to make sure I got the new version and not the old one so I didn't want to order it online. Prior to that, I think the PS2 was the last console I bought in a store.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
A Wii U but technically my wife bought it cause she was at Target and called saying they had one left in stock if I wanted it.

Me physically going in a store would be a GBA at launch. Everything else has been online or Christmas gifts. Weird to think about!

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 500gb UC4 edition on black friday 2016 at Kohl's for $250.
I remember showing up at like 9am, just to browse leftovers/ gifts (I already had a white PS4 Destiny edition from 2014, wasn't really looking for another), but I asked a clerk if they had any left in stock just for the lulz (the piles of doorbusters were long gone).

To my astonishment, he said "I think I saw one in the back", and left.
I was pretty sure he'd come back empty handed, but lo and behold, he then hands me one.
I was stunned tbh, but I went and bought it.

In hindsight, the only way this could have happened is if an employee put one aside for someone (or him/herself), either a friend or family member.
But whatever, still working great.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
I think it was the PS Vita. I was going to say the Wii when I went to a mom-and-pop store, but I just remembered I randomly went to Gamestop and bought a Vita.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
My last in store purchase of a game console was the New 3DS XL from Best Buy in April 2015. My last in store home console purchase was a PS3 Slim in November 2009.

The days of me waiting outside in the middle of the night at launch for a new console are over. I used to do it when I was younger, the last time I did it was back in 2006 during Wii launch at Kmart. I rather pre-order online now, it is much more convenient for me now.

Here is my console purchase history. Some of these I got as gifts. You will notice that some of these stores are out of business now.

1990- Nintendo Entertainment System- Lechmere (I remember this store when I was a kid. My mom took me to Lechmere when I was 8 years old to get a NES. The store is out of business now)
1992- Sega Genesis- Montgonery Ward ( Another store that closed dow. I got it for Christmas.)
1993- Super Nintendo- Service Merchandise (Another store that closed. My mom got it for me for Christmas. )
1994- Sega Game Gear- Sears (I got for my birthday)
1996- Nintendo 64- Kmart (I remember getting it a day early before the N64 was to launch. Kmart was selling them before launch. My mom and I went there and bought the last one they had. Stores do not sell consoles before launch anymore)
1999- Sega Dreamcast- EB Games
2001- Gameboy Advance- EB Games
2001- Nintendo Gamecube- FYE
2002- Playstation 2- EB Games
2002- Xbox- Best Buy
2003- Gameboy Advance SP- EB Games
2005- Xbox 360- Walmart
2006- Nintendo DS Lite- Circuit City
2006- Wii- Kmart
2007- PSP- Walmart
2007- Xbox 360 (Launch unit RROD)- Best Buy
2009- Playstation 3 Slim- Best Buy
2012- Wii U- gamestop.com
2013- Playstation Vita- Gamestop
2013- Playstation 4- amazon.com
2014- Xbox One- Nebraska Furniture Mart Online
2015- New Nintendo 3DS XL- Best Buy
2016- Playstation 4 Pro- bestbuy.com
2017- Nintendo Switch- bestbuy.com
2017- Xbox One X- bestbuy.com
2020- Playstation 5- walmart.com
2020- Xbox Series X- microsoft.com
2021- Oculus Quest 2- bestbuy.com (My wife bought it for my birthday)

Last edited: