• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
When I turned 30, which was like 14 years ago, me and my then girlfriend went to Paris for a romantic getaway. We did all kinds of pleasant stuff for a few days and one evening we had booked a pretty fancy place to eat. That's when the shit hit the fan, pretty literally. I spent all night curled up on the floor in the bathroom, at our hotel. It was awful. Let's just say it ruined the rest of the trip.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Christmas day 3 years ago. Had lasagna from local Italian restaurant.
What a horror night.
Blacked out and fell on the bathroom floor because of dehydration and stuff

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Got mine from a hockey game. It's funny since I don't usually eat at games. But this time I had to. Got the obvious diarrhea and vomited a few times in the beginning. The diarrhea overstayed it's welcome and it took several days to pass. I couldn't eat any solid food for a few weeks. My stomach would get extremely painful if I did. Haven't felt such a pain before or after.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Starbucks breakfast sandwhich. Spent a night vomiting every 15 minutes. by the end i was so delerious that i kept trying to drink water even though i know i would immediately throw it back up because i was so thirsty.

get very skeeved at any prepackaged breakfast sandwhiches now.

my stomach gets pretty fucked up from anxiety so I'm used to diarrhea, vomiting scares the fuck out of me though

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Circus Circus buffet, summer of 1990. I thought I was going to die, but I was completely fine in under a day. Nothing since, and I haven't been careful. I LOVE undercooked burgers.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
A Chinese buffet restaurant in central Ohio.

I hadn't thrown up in over 30 years, but I made up for it after a trip to that place.

superfriar19

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Work. A coworker brought in some leftover Pancit she made over the weekend for a party. Whole department got super sick and were out the whole week. I missed three days. It was awful. Coming out both ends at the same time. Never been so dehydrated in my life.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Work. A coworker brought in some leftover Pancit she made over the weekend for a party. Whole department got super sick and were out the whole week. I missed three days. It was awful. Coming out both ends at the same time. Never been so dehydrated in my life.

Everyone on my mom's shift was out for three weeks or more from a disastrous Thanksgiving potluck one year.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
99 Restaurant. I kept getting up in the middle of the night so much I eventually had fallen asleep on the toilet.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
In high school we had a day in our german class where we made crepes. Everyone brought in something like pie filling and other ingredients. During class, I opened up a can of cherry pie filling that someone had brought. We were playing cards and I ate 3-4 spoonfuls of the filling. I removed the lid all the way and licked it, only to discover it was pitted with rust. I scoop around the can and the entire thing was rusted on the inside, nothing visible from the outside. I distinctly remember saying out loud "Well that ain't good". It hit me about 4hrs later. I was eventually admitted to the hospital late that night due to severe dehydration from my near constant vomiting and diarrhea. I was 16 and so had to stay in pediatrics. My hospital room had cartoon ducks on the wallpaper.

Better still? The older sister of a girl I liked was my nurse. She was probably 22ish and hot as fuck. In the middle of the night I had to call her in because I shit the bed and was too weak to even sit up straight. I remember her and another female nurse assisting me to a wheelchair, changing my sheets, then helping me shower. It was humiliating as fuck.

I'm 46 now and that was the only time in my life I have ever been hospitalized.

A close second for me was a double cheeseburger from McDonalds. I ate it on the way to a Lords of Acid concert. I fucking knew something was fishy about it after 2-3 bites and didn't finish it. The cheese was a dark yellow and had hardened. After the concert, we had a 2hr drive home. I balled up on the backseat of my friends suv while he and his girlfriend drove me to my apartment. I have no idea how I managed to not throw up during the entire drive. It was hell on earth. We get to my apartment at 2am, I get out, they drive off as I stood there. As soon as they were out of sight, I dropped to my knees and did full body vomiting in the snow for about 10 minutes, then crawled about 50ft to my apartment door. I was about 23 with no health insurance, no family in the area, and just kind of tried to ride it out for a day or two. To this day, it was the sickest I have ver been in my life. It made the cherry pie filling incident seem like baby time frolicks in comparison. At one point during the 2 day illness, I was so weak that laid down on the floor of my apartment and stayed in that exact spot for about 4hrs even though my bed was 1 room away and I was 5ft from my couch. I thought I was going to fucking die. I absolutely should have been hospitalized.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No idea what it was from, but it got all 4 of us in my apartment at the time...

We had one bathroom, it was a nightmare.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Pizza delivery a few years ago.

Got a bad case of salmonella ... high fever and I barely left the bathroom for whole weekend, barely managed to get to the doctor. Lost around 8 kgs in four days.

From that moment on, I always have some juniper schnapps on hand at home. it is disgusting as fuck, but it can help with any stomach nastiness caused by bad food.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
An Indian takeaway place in Bondi that I had ordered from several times before. Their food was incredible, which really sucked because I couldn't bear to order from them ever again.

It was the most brutally sick I've ever been. I was legit curled up on the bathroom floor for the better part of 3 days. I'd start throwing up the water I tried to drink. Horrible.

That said, I should have probably seen it coming given a particular experience I'd had with that restaurant. Basically their website allowed you to select a delivery time when ordering. I made the order just after leaving work at ~5pm to be delivered at 7pm...but they showed up at my house with the food at like 5:30pm. I wasn't even home yet. My housemate turned them away as the receipt clearly said 7pm delivery. Pre-ordering the food for later was straight up something they advertised on their site!

But, of course, when the delivery guy showed back up at 7pm it became clear it was the exact same food and they'd hadn't even bother trying to disguise it, given it was lukewarm and the naan felt old. But we were like 22-23 and fearless, so we still ate and still mostly enjoyed it. And that wasn't even the time I got sick lol! But it does paint a picture of what the place was like.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Back in January 2008, I was in the Air Force and we flew down to Tyndall AFB outside of Panama City, Florida for a week long training. After we completed training, we went out to dinner at a seafood restaurant. I had deep fried shrimp, fries and three cooked oysters.

Got back to the hotel and went to bed, woke up around 11pm with a massive stomach ache and then spent the next two hours getting very intimate with the hotel toilet. It was awful.

Ended up having to go to the hospital and missed my flight in the morning as I was so dehydrated that my kidneys were shutting down.

I'm not sure if it was allergies or food poisoning, but I'm 100% sure it was the oysters. I've had fried shrimp my entire life, but that was the first (and only time) I'd had oysters. It took me a good year after to be comfortable with eating seafood again.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Golden Corral. And if I had to guess, I'd put it down to the chicken.

Not as severe as some of the stories here, but it's certainly the one I remember most.

I never went back to a Golden Corral, and that location closed like a year or two later.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Some upscale BBQ place. Two days straight where I was just on the toilet with a bag in case I needed to vomit.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Oh boy.

So it was from expired coffee creamer. Tasted a lil funny but ignored it. Spent that entire night shitting my guts out and begging for the ability to sleep, but you can't sleep while you're shitting your guts out. I call in sick the next day and plan on sleeping all day, but I was renting at the time and someone else was renting the garage literally right outside my room. They show up to do a day's worth of work and bring their kids, who spend the entire morning shrieking like idiots and playing.

They also boxed my car in.

I'm dead to the world but I go, "okay. gonna walk to my parents house and sleep there." it was only a mile. I thought i could handle it.

I make it about halfway down the block and realize this isn't gonna work, so I turn to head back when this lady high on fuckknowswhat flags me down thinking I'm her lawyer or social worker or something. She's super convinced I am despite me telling her otherwise, and she needs me to know she won't be showing up to court today. I tell her that's probably a bad idea. SHe laughs ten seconds later.

At this point I'm going, "well i can't take her home because I don't want her to know where I live" so i slowly walk in random directions while she babbles at me. Eventually we find a yard sale and she wants to check it out, so she wanders over and I sprint the fuck out of there. Get back to my house where the people are still working next to my room. I fall onto the couch and just kinda collapse into a puddle of goo for a few hours.

Then the next day those people are back and I'm at least not dead anymore, and I ask 'em to move their truck so I can leave. And that fucking horrible woman shrieks at me like its' my fault adn I was rude for not coming out to help. Also I never say hi or smile at her! I am the worst!

The guy working with her was like "I got you bro" and I went through the encounter without talking or smiling at her, which made her more upset. It's the little things, I guess.

I don't live their anymore. I don't know what happened to the lady and her court date. I drink my coffee black now

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
KFC. Did something so graphically bad to my insides for an entire month that I finally scheduled a colonoscopy. The issue did finally abate just a couple days before I was to go in, so I canceled it. I've never again patronized that awful place, nor will I ever.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Chipotle restaurant in the 'burbs of Atlanta, GA sometime back in the 2000s. It was so bad I have yet to set foot back inside one.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
A few years back I was cooking chicken and there must have been cross contamination because I was puking and shitting from both ends for next 2 days. I had chills and fatigue/weakness for the next week or so.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Happened to me three times but the worse had to have been a place called the Abington ale house. I had a Texas Chicken Sandwich and 12 hours later had a fever and was throwing up. I could not even drink water without throwing it up. That was like 1995 and I think I have since then I have been back maybe 5 times.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Boston Market... had me laid up for days. I would never go back there based on that, and also... I would never wish food poisoning on my worst enemy.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
St. Thomas, it was a slice of pizza on the beach. Spent the rest of that cruise going from bed to toilet. I was maybe 9 years old. The next one was Punta Cana. Dunno what I ate. Shivering in bed or on the toilet for days, but I was older and the room was nicer, I guess.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Got some sushi in Florida that wrecked me while on vacation. I'm 100% sure it was this sketchy conch roll

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
We had Latin cuisine for lunch the day I arrived in Seattle for one of my yearly visits and I ended up having the runs for days.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
So I always thought it was some BS excuse people would use to not hang out until it finally happened to me.

First time: Steelers vs Jets 11/18/2007
Towards the end of the game I went to grab an all beef hot dog for my boss, my coworker and myself. Called an audible for myself at the final minute and grabbed the very last order of chicken wings sitting out. I was up all night on the can, Sweating profusely, stomach cramps, etc. Had to travel like an hour to the airport clenching my butt cheeks and trying not to throw up. We get to the airport, then back to Pittsburgh, then to the office. I finally get to my office and I'm now holding my trash can and throwing up. I have to wait like a half an hour so that I can tell my boss I have to go. Didn't eat any food for 2 more days.

The other really bad time was Montezuma's Revenge in Lome, Togo.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think i've had food poisoning. I think there was one time where i vomited dinner but that was it. After one go i was clear for the next one.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
My dad.

Was visiting him for the summer with my brothers and he made hamburgers. The messed up thing was at maybe 10-11 years old I knew the ground beef looked questionable and asked about it. I got so sick. Couldn't keep anything down for days. On the final day I didn't even have the energy to move. I just laid on the floor. When it passed I remember my body craving sugar. I then had two bowls of the best Frosted Flakes I ever had or will ever have.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I tried making Chicken Soup from a youtube video, bought everything you toss in the pot. I couldn't find chicken feet so I used chicken backs and I didn't know what I was doing or how to clean it. Soup tasted great honestly....until I was vomiting yellow shit the next 2 days. It was the absolute worst I've ever felt and I haven't had chicken soup since and I don't know if I'd ever try and make it again. It's about about a year since that happened.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
At home years ago. I tried reheating a chicken dinner.

Big fucking mistake. It took me years to even get back into chicken as I never wanted to experience that again.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Raw, unwashed spinach. 20 minutes after I ate it I had the worst abdominal pain of my life, and for 2 days rushed to the toilet every 15-20 minutes. My bowels didn't return to normal for about a month.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
From a Wendy's. I couldn't stop shitting for quite some time. Another was from coffee while flying. Never again.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I was like 10 and we went to get ice cream at a local place after a baseball game and I ordered a milkshake and one of the other kids told me not to and that their friend had one and got really sick

I drank the milkshake
I drank it up

I got really sick

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Got sick after eating Whataburger years ago. Even had to take the next day off work, and I never have to call in sick. Couldn't eat the stuff for like three years, it just put me off whenever I thought about it.

Don't know if it was actually the food or just coincidence. Didn't see anything on the news about anyone else getting sick from eating there.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Carl's Jr got me real bad. I remember looking at the patty and going "that doesn't look right, or even like meat", but I was hungry. My finace and I both got it real bad from that meal.

The other one was a local fancier restaurant where all the cooks and servers were just coked to the point of barely being able to do any of their jobs. At a certain point there were no wait staff on the floor. All of them and the bartender were obviously in the back just getting wasted. I remember when they brought my steak out and it was CLEARLY not cooked, but because the lights were so low in the restaurant (which, again, I think because of all the coke the staff were on), I couldn't see that until I took my first bite of raw steak. And I mean raw. Like they took a steak that had been sitting out all day, forgot to cook it, sliced it and put it on the plate. It's not like it was cooked on the outside raw in the middle. It was just raw steak. And no, it wasn't a tartare or something like that. They asked me how I wanted it cooked and I told them medium rare. They just neglected to cook the steak. Just sliced and served me up a raw steak.

I remember telling them to take it back. They asked if I wanted something else and I just said, "not from here". That was incredible intestinal pain the next day. I should have really called up the health inspector and/or law enforcement after that. I guarantee you that kitchen area probably looked like Pablo Escobar's compound. Fortunately that restaurant has since gone under, which was obviously going to happen, but I wish it would have happened before they tried to poison me.