• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
There's a chain in my area called Hassleless Mattress and there aren't any employees, just a bunch of beds set up so you can check them all out without someone looking over your shoulder the whole time. I ended up buying my mattress somewhere else but it was nice to get a feel for what I liked with no one around first.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've had mine for about 8 years now. Got it from Macy's and it's been great...

You're normally supposed to switch it after 10 years right?. I don't think it's given me any issues..

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Because it's something that is expansive and annoying to be wrong on. My mattress is pretty much done right now but I'm enduring it because I don't want to deal with the trouble.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
It is the hardest thing to buy. That being said:

Bought a Purple Hybrid mattress 2 months ago. Don't think I've ever slept better. Definitely sleeps cooler than my old mattress which is a huge plus. Slightly firm. The deciding factor was a commercial which made me laugh.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Tempur-pedic LuxeAdapt and I love it. I went to a furniture store and they had about 20 mattresses to try out so I did and the one I bought just felt perfect to me.

Loom & Leaf in the guest bedroom and it's also very comfortable, but might be too soft for some people.

Apr 12, 2021
It's one of those things you shouldn't cheap out on considering how much time you will spend on it in your lifetime.

I think I'll be looking for a new one in the near future. Don't even know where to start.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. I'm in the same boat and almost made an exact thread like this.
Based on this thread Purple seems pretty popular. Any specific model? Im mostly a back sleeper who ends up on side sometimes

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
well that was an enlightening watch lol
That's usually my go to video in these topics but since it hasn't been posted yet, here's the second.

The mattress industry is seedy to the point where looking for a mattress it worse than looking for a car.

After a year of planning on getting a new mattress I ultimately went with the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Hybrid in a queen, I got the medium with the cooling aspects being a big reason why I went with it. I kind of got concerned it might be too soft for my weight but then the next day found out they had recently updated it to make it a little firmer, I'm apparently 230 pounds (yay for the 10 I put on since the last time I weighed myself) and it's only been about a week and I'm satisfied so far, I've certainly slept a lot better than I was before and haven't woken up hot or sweating. No problems sleeping on my stomach or back, I've been laying more in an in between position between side and stomach, usually wake up on my back.

I also bought an 18 inch base for it which with the mattress is like 31/32 inches high at the top which made it about 10 inches higher than my previous bed... it's a little high.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
As I've gotten older I can't get by with cheaper mattresses. Wife and I got a Tempur Hybrid Medium-firm and it's been a life saver for my wife who has a bad back:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
All I've read is that mattress stores are scams. There are tons of mattress companies on Amazon with a good reputation that offer no hassle guarantees. I picked tuft & needle and am happy with it. Fraction of the cost of a store mattress.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I went to a local mattress store that had a sale, lied down on one, found it comfortable enough and said "this please".

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every mattress store I contacted in my local area sounded like used car salesman.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got mine in Ikea and surprisingly, or not, it works perfectly

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Ikea near me has a huge selection of them you can also try out, and allow you to return it like months later if you end up not liking it.
Helps going ahead with what felt good trying out in the store, and if end up being a bad choice, you can return it and get your money back.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I have no complaints with my mattress and I think the market for them is not too horribly priced and has a variety of options, but the salespeople at mattress stores are one step removed from used car salesmen. They'll act overly friendly with you and do anything to try and upsell you on stuff.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Before you settle on anything, literally anything, heavily research whether or not the mattress you're about to buy has fiberglass. Avoid those ones like the plague.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a tempur mattress and pillow. I'm really happy with both.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I feel you, had to buy a new mattress cause of backpain and it took forever to decide on one. Of course it still wasn't good and I had to exchange it, this one is good so far

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I bought a foam mattress for about ÂŁ140 about 4 years ago. Absolutely comfortable, no discomfort or pain ever from sleeping on it.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Try the ones that offer a money back guarantee first.
If you like you like it. If not, get your money back and try another. Usually the companies just ask you to recycle the mattress.
I bought a Tuft and Needle 4 years ago. Still comfortable and no problems with being too hot or cold.
What gets me is the prices. From what I understand, it costs these companies like $50 to produce the foam blanks for these mattresses. Then they do some trimming and fancify the foam. So maybe at the most $150 for the cost of the product.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just avoid any pillow tops and go from there.

Used to love these, and if you find a good one its great.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My old bed was a Beautyrest Black in a Queen and is still great but we wanted a King when we moved and my wife was annoyed at the thickness of that mattress so we ended up getting a SleepMaker King bed and putting the Queen in the guest room.

It was a little bit of an adjustment as it's a different style of bed but it's turned out really well. I quite like it now.
Also helps that I got the $5,000 mattress for $800 though. My staff discount is pretty good, I got a friend of mine a $14,000 mattress for $1,500 delivered.

Try the ones that offer a money back guarantee first.
If you like you like it. If not, get your money back and try another. Usually the companies just ask you to recycle the mattress.
I bought a Tuft and Needle 4 years ago. Still comfortable and no problems with being too hot or cold.
What gets me is the prices. From what I understand, it costs these companies like $50 to produce the foam blanks for these mattresses. Then they do some trimming and fancify the foam. So maybe at the most $150 for the cost of the product.

Depends where it's made. I can only speak for Australia.
You have labour and overhead for all the employees that pour the foam, cut the foam, glue the foam and pack the foam. Then the various costs associated with the cover, if it's made overseas or locally makes a big difference. Like $5-6 to $30-$40 or more.
Then also transport costs.

Keep in mind most places that sell these mattresses don't make the foam themselves. So we make the foam and glue it all together and normally fit the cover for them, also roll and pack in to a box for bed in the box products and then sell to that company that slaps their sticker on it because the layers are their "design" then markup the price 120%.

I can say that on average most foam is around the $4-$6 per kilogram range. So for example if the mattress has 30kg of foam in it you're looking at $150 at just the raw cost of foam without all the stuff I mentioned before.
There are some that cost us like $40 and sell for a couple of hundred in store though. Just depends on how difficult it is. Labour is the most expensive thing.

The biggest rip off is memory foam pillows. They cost $15 each to make and sell for over $100, some I have even seen as high as $300.
Some are good, but are ridiculously marked up.

Source: Me. I literally do costing for a foam/bedding company.

Last edited:

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I hate my mattress, it was expensive and we bought it after a long search and it really was good for 2 months. Like the best mattress I've ever slept on.

But the memory foam, or whatever, doesn't bounce back and eventually you're sleeping in a divot.

I need to keep swiveling it around but even then it seems to go out of shape faster and faster. It's been two years or so, and we are already looking for a replacement.

What's stopping us from pulling the trigger is we don't know how to do it without getting burned again. we researched last time and still got a crappy one. So reviews and trying them out short term don't actually help when getting a mattress.

Oct 25, 2017
We got a Caspar 2 years ago and have been pleased. Its a frustrating experience for sure

Does anyone actually take these companies up on their 180 day (or whatever) return policy? That seems like such a hassle.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
My partner and I had been using a full-size mattress I bought in college. It was the cheapest new mattress I could find at the time, I think I got it from Lebeda Mattress Factory. This last year, mid-pandemic, after like 10 years on that mattress, we bought our first mattress together.

We got a Sealy Response Performance Cushion Firm King-size. We got like a 12" foundation/box spring to go with it. Cost around $1400 after tax and delivery which frankly isn't insanely expensive for a King, imo, but it is wonderful. Got it from Mattress Firm and we had no issues. We didn't try it out first, however, as this was like August of last year and we didn't want to risk it with COVID, so we bought it and crossed our fingers. Worked out perfectly though.

I'll add: fuck memory foam. That shit never holds up based on literally every person I've ever spoken to that has owned one, not to mention it gets kinda warm when you are in the bed. We specifically sought out a a coil mattress with as dense of coils as we could get within our budget.

I hate my mattress, it was expensive and we bought it after a long search and it really was good for 2 months. Like the best mattress I've ever slept on.

But the memory foam, or whatever, doesn't bounce back and eventually you're sleeping in a divot.

I need to keep swiveling it around but even then it seems to go out of shape faster and faster. It's been two years or so, and we are already looking for a replacement.

What's stopping us from pulling the trigger is we don't know how to do it without getting burned again. we researched last time and still got a crappy one. So reviews and trying them out short term don't actually help when getting a mattress.

Don't get a memory foam next time, is my suggestion.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Purple is divine, I think we have Purple 2 or 3, but I get such a cool night's sleep from it. Just be aware it's really heavy.

Side note: purple pillow is also great, but probably lethal in a pillow fight due to its weight, and not necessarily for everyone as it'll feel different from most pillows

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I've had some pretty bad lower back pain lately and am starting to wonder if it's our mattress, which is almost 7 years old at this point. However the thought of trying to replace it is just ugh. I can't imagine buying a mattress online without trying it, but at the same time absolutely despise the in store buying experience where you have sales reps hounding you the entire way through.

I think it's also stressful because mattresses can be expensive purchases, and you don't want to get burned.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I just layed down on a couple of mattresses at Ikea and then picked the one I liked the most. It was delivered like 2 days later and I've no regrets.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Got one from Leesa no issues. Have had for a few years now. Not overwhelming. I can see frustrations if you or your partner have health issues and need something specific though.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
We have one of those sweet zero gravity adjustable beds and the mattress is super comfy. They did a body study on us and we had to lay down on this weird mattress and answer a bunch of questions too. Totally worth it! It has led lights underneath and you can adjust the bed for all sorts of fun sex positions.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I just ask what the hardest thing they've got is, buy that and then throw a cooling gel overlay on it.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017

This is actually happening to me right now ;_; I bought a nice memory foam mattress and it's starting to have sunken spots I've only had it for like 1 1/2 years. I'm very annoyed right now.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
nc6osnK.png

Harry-Potter-and-Ron-Weasleys-Friendship-Feature-Image.jpg

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I'm going to through this process now,. :(

Am a side sleeper, I sleep hot and need a super firm bed that doesn't get to hot. I'm scared to pull the trigger on anything, heh.

Need to soon though, been getting lower back pain for the past year or so after waking up. My sagging bed ain't cutting it.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Bought some cheap box mattress off amazon for like $150 and its fine. I do want to upgrade from a twin to a bigger mattress though.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I haven't bought a mattress in 11 years. It was a huge pain in the ass to get it home on top of the car. Imagine my shock when I learned they come rolled up in a long box now.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
So I'm trying to buy a new mattress and I feel like I'm being overwhelmed with a shit ton of options, and according to the internet, all of them bad and a scam. So, ERA, what mattress company did you buy from? Did you buy one online from Casper/Nectar/Purple/etc. or did you go in store and get something from Tempurpedic/Serta/Sleep Number/etc. ? There's gotta be an easier way to do this lol

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm going to through this process now,. :(

Am a side sleeper, I sleep hot and need a super firm bed that doesn't get to hot. I'm scared to pull the trigger on anything, heh.

Need to soon though, been getting lower back pain for the past year or so after waking up. My sagging bed ain't cutting it.

I really need to upgrade my mattress. It's about 8 years old, and starting to sag.

I'm the same as you: I want firm as possible, cool, and long-lasting, which inner-springs aren't.

As a memory foam hater, I have latex pillows and absolutely love them. Cool, firm, bouncy. I want to get an all-latex mattress, but I don't know where I can get a good one for the best price. Hoping the landscape has changed a bit from when I last looked and gave up. Sleep Like the Dead is the best resource online.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
The town I grew up near had a mattress factory. They made stuff for one of the big companies, I've forgotten which, to their specs. They also made their own label that were much higher quality and cheaper. It was also the place to go if you wanted something custom sized for an antique bed. I wish they were still around or I could find something similar where I live now.

The last time I shopped for a mattress was on like the 30th of the month and I wonder if that made salesmen desperate to meet quotas or something. I walked out of one store because a guy absolutely refused to leave us alone after repeated requests that we be allowed to just browse. We bought that day, just not from there. I can't stand high pressure sales.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
We got a Brooklyn Bedding Aurora queen size mattress, then upgraded to a King size and put the queen size in the guest room. It's a hybrid and my wife and I both agree that it's the most comfortable mattress we've ever slept on.