• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 19, 2020
As I'm sitting, waiting for my flu shot, I'm pondering why someone would go to Walgreens for a non-pharmacy related reason. There are 15 isles of stuff that you could easily get at the Target 2 minutes away (including most pharmacy needs). There are freezers with ice cream. I'm racking my brain for any instance in which I or someone else would say, "oh shit! I need to run to Walgreens!!"

If you or a loved one frequents Walgreens, I'd love to know why!

EDIT from the tread mark:
I should clarify, the target is 2 minutes from the Walgreens, not where I live. I guess my experience as always been that Walgreens is relatively close to another, larger store and that the Walgreens is so exorbitantly priced that it's worth getting to the other store. Then again, I haven't spent time living in a truly dense urban center, so that makes a ton more sense.

I suppose my argument is more like "the suburban or rural case for a Walgreens when another store is way cheaper and not unreasonably out of reach doesn't make much sense to me."

EDIT 2: This has been way more interesting than I would have guessed when posting. Obviously, location plays a lot into how you see convenient stores, but it also seems like there is quite the divide between people who use convenient stores regularly and those who don't regardless of location. Growing up, it was drilled into me that convenient stores were a waste of money. We literally never went to them out of frugality and the conveniently located big box stores in our rural town. To this day in adulthood, I'll only buy snacks from a gas station if I'm on a road trip and I didn't plan ahead. If Walgreens was 2 minutes away and Target was 20, I'd still find a way to stack that trip with a target run. But clearly everyone has different circumstances.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Convenience. Walgreens is closer, and they open later than Target.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't go to Walgreens but do visit CVS cause it's super near me so more convineance Targets/ Walmarts are way further away like 5 miles away

But fuck cvs and Walgreens their prices are always jacked up.

Oct 29, 2017
Walgreens probably exist in more communities than Target does, as an example. Some people probably get food from Walgreens as a primary soruce.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CVS fills a similar niche and is like a 2 minute walk from me.

They're a nice halfway point between a huge, sprawling mega-story like a Walmart or a Target, and a tiny convenience store or gas station. A little more expensive, but a little more convenient.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I go all the time. Very convenient and has all the little "things" I randomly happen to need. Fuck going to target if I just need a half gallon of milk lol.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I go there because their mortar and pestle logo is imprisoned behind the window over the entrance like the Thwomp in Bowser's Castle in Mario Kart 64. I go there to protest their inhumane treatment of their logo but end up picking up ice cream and chips for some reason every time

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
There are more Walgreens and CVS's than Targets. CVS is a 5 minute drive for me. Target is a 15-20 minute drive.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens are convenient, and that's also why their prices are fucking sky high compared to Target or wherever else. Sometimes they're next door to each other, but mostly there's a hell of a lot more of these pharmacies than big box stores.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
aren't they called "convenience stores"? Presumably they're located in convenient spots where a megagrocery wouldn't fit.

I'm racking my brain for any instance in which I or someone else would say, "oh shit! I need to run to Walgreens!!"

you don't have a reliable freezer because you were born into a poor neighbourhood. your kid's birthday party is today, and you've just finished working a double shift—you still want to provide a happy experience for your child despite having 20 minutes before their "party" is supposed to begin. You look up through your glued together broken glasses and see a walgreens down the block.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh.

To buy some Google Play cards because some dude in customer support told me to purchase $2,000 worth of them because my suscription refund got borked somehow?

I'm so addicted to Kitboga it's not even funny. I can imagine the "employees" being "not this shit again" when they see Edna barging into Walgreens while holding her phone.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Walgreen's prices are absolutely nuts! I went to one just to pick up some mouthwash and prices were at least $3-$6 more there than they'd be at target or even the market.

the ones here aren't even that convenient because they all close at 9 and open when Target does. I agree with the premise of this thread!

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Walgreens around me have switched to a hybrid Kroger/Walgreens Express type deal. Apparently we're a test market for a possible nationwide rollout. It's nice. More options and prices have gone down.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I get earplugs from them every now and then. They sell them in big bottles that are cheaper than a lot of places.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
CVS and Walgreens are basically better alternatives to Dollar Stores and Family Dollars that also have a robust pharmacy. You can find them most anywhere, when places like Target or even Walmart are miles or dozens of miles away.

They are also the only stores still open 24hrs in portions of the country.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I'm sitting, waiting for my flu shot, I'm pondering why someone would go to Walgreens for a non-pharmacy related reason. There are 15 isles of stuff that you could easily get at the Target 2 minutes away (including most pharmacy needs). There are freezers with ice cream. I'm racking my brain for any instance in which I or someone else would say, "oh shit! I need to run to Walgreens!!"

If you or a loved one frequents Walgreens, I'd love to know why!

Walgreens are in lots of poorer areas where I live. People don't have access to transportation can go and grab things in a pinch.

Your privilege is showing.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Walgreens is small enough to grab and go without having to wait in line for long. But seriously, this is such a weird question. Why do people do anything different than what I'm used to?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
usually closer than a target and most are open 24 hours. stuff is definitely more expensive there tho so you're paying that convenience tax for sure

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Proximity for one, wider selection of non-prescription medicine/health product for another, and easy access to some basic staples when you do need to make a medicine/health run.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
They were the only place near me with the at-home Covid tests in stock.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I swear some of yall don't think when you make these threads. There isn't a target anywhere near me, any other store is 15 minutes across town and there are like 2 walgreens that are right in the middle of town. Its far faster to run down there to grab something plus they are open 24 hours.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They close, they open all the time, and small so you don't have to wander around for what you want.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I have a CVS within walking distance, grocery store and target close but not that close.

Wiseguy

Oct 29, 2017
Pro tip.

Walgreens online prices for items are often cheaper than in store and match or can beat other retailers. You can buy online and then pick up in store for free.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
IMAGINE not having a car, and not being able to drive to whole foods on a whim and purchase whatever you need or want from there. Just IMAGINE.

couldn't be me. therefore it can't/shouldn't be anyone else

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Walgreens is closer to me and Target is also a weirdly sterile, desolate hellscape that has a creepy & indescribable feel to it. I avoid it like the plague.

A slightly more enlightened, still probably privileged take
OP
OP
Krombopulos_MK
Mar 19, 2020
Walgreens are in lots of poorer areas where I live. People don't have access to transportation can go and grab things in a pinch.

Your privilege is showing.
I should clarify, the target is 2 minutes from the Walgreens, not where I live. I guess my experience as always been that Walgreens is relatively close to another, larger store and that the Walgreens is so exorbitantly priced that it's worth getting to the other store. Then again, I haven't spent time living in a truly dense urban center, so that makes a ton more sense.

I suppose my argument is more like "the suburban or rural case for a Walgreens when another store is way cheaper and not unreasonably out of reach doesn't make much sense to me."

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Target and grocery stores are notorious for being out of basic stuff all the time, or for whatever reason keep very low stock of that kind of stuff. They prioritize the weirdest things and I don't get it. There's a massive section just for bandaids at the Target near me, but only 2 slots for neosporin and the target generic version.

There's just been way too many instances of me needing some illness/medical/firstaid type things and stores letting me down, only for me to end up at Walgreens anyway. So I just go straight there now. Also helps that they have a lot of hygiene related stuff that other stores don't. (SA CeraVe facewash to name one) Also have a much better selection of wrist/finger/hand/foot braces and that sort of thing.