• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
When I was in Brooklyn, there was a Target about a 15 minute walk and a Walgreens about a 10 minute walk. The former was just swamped with people at all times and while the latter could be as well - it was also smaller and I could get in and get out pretty quick.

The point of these bigger convenience stores is that someone can pop in and get the essentials and possibly a bit more without having to be bumping into people.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose my argument is more like "the suburban or rural case for a Walgreens when another store is way cheaper and not unreasonably out of reach doesn't make much sense to me."
Full disclosure, I worked at one for several years.

Part of it is convenience. Walgreens tries to market themselves as being a place where you're able to get in, get what you need, and get out quickly, unlike the "big box stores" (your Walmarts, Targets, etc). There's also the whole "one-stop shop" thing, like you're here to get medicine, but you might as well grab some other things you needed to get so you don't have to drive to another store.

And yes, I agree that there are a lot of things there that run higher than what you would find then for at other places, but they do tend to have some decent sales on things. It was completely normal for us to run out of more in-demand items like dish soap, laundry detergent, and soda the weeks they would go BOGO or buy two get one.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Easier to get to, faster to get to and through, have snack foods in smaller sizes like a gas station but might feel less sketchy/be less busy, can grab stuff while getting things at the pharmacy. I think some still have photo print stuff, which isn't an option at a lot of Target stores.

OP
OP
Krombopulos_MK
Mar 19, 2020
i think target gives a $5 off $20 coupon like cvs for flu shots. you're missing out
Damn it! I'll have to remember that for next year…

Full disclosure, I worked at one for several years.

Part of it is convenience. Walgreens tries to market themselves as being a place where you're able to get in, get what you need, and get out quickly, unlike the "big box stores" (your Walmarts, Targets, etc). There's also the whole "one-stop shop" thing, like you're here to get medicine, but you might as well grab some other things you needed to get so you don't have to drive to another store.

And yes, I agree that there are a lot of things there that run higher than what you would find then for at other places, but they do tend to have some decent sales on things. It was completely normal for us to run out of more in-demand items like dish soap, laundry detergent, and soda the weeks they would go BOGO or buy two get one.

This is a helpful perspective, thanks!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get what you mean. The prices are higher (except for the occasional sale) than going to Target or a grocery store. I think there are a few reasons:
1) Location
2) Convenience (if you're picking up a prescription and only need to buy one or two items then it's not going to be worthwhile to make a second stop)
3) Hours - some Walgreens open earlier or close later than Target/supermarkets.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
My wife holds a grudge against CVS for them being shitty to her several times, so as far as that type of thing it's my only real option.

We both have chronic sinus issues and thus have to go somewhere for Sudafed. The pharmacy in walking distance doesn't carry it.

So that's the main reason, but my wife drinks a ton of Diet Dr. Pepper and they often have those buy 2, get 1 free on the twelve packs.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
My Target is actually even closer than my Walgreens (and right on the way, if I need to go the latter), so I'm one of apparently few people who empathize with the original take here.

But yes, unfortunately Targets are not distributed evenly along a grid-based system to be two minutes away from every home and/or Walgreens.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
also i grew up near a target that has another target 1 mile down the road and it has been like that for years. if two targets can exist that close to each other i'm sure a walgreens can too. i think there's a cvs in between those two targets as well.

Oct 29, 2017
They're the only place I know in my area that carries this ambrosia:

23oz_BIGCAN_GBS_800x.png

Goddamn delicious.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Walgreens are 100% about convenience. They're small and often placed very close to neighborhoods, especially in a city. I used to live next door to one when I lived in the city and it was nice to have.

It's like if Target and 7 Eleven had a baby.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Walgreens/CVS are to larger stores what fast food places are to normal restaurants.

They are more like gas station convenience stores
Prices are higher but you can get in/out way faster than a Target

Real

Oct 28, 2017
The Walgreens next to me is open 24/7. That's half the battle as a night owl.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get the argument over convenience. And I don't mean for Targets sake. Just go bulk buy at a grocer for a 1-2 weeks worth of food. Then instead of having to walk/drive 2 minutes every so often to your Walgreens, you don't have to go at all and spend extra money. You'll save so much money and time doing that, and it forces you to learn a lot of self control/discipline because you have to make that food last.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has the same energy as that viral post from a few years ago where some teen was like "how can people live outside of NYC where they don't have Bodegas, where else can they go to get a coke and toilet paper in the middle of the night"

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Walgreens has a better selection of Halloween candy that hasn't been picked through to hell and back.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
This is like asking why buy things at gas stations when the items are cheaper at grocery stores. Convenience of already being at Walgreens and not having to go elsewhere to pick something up.

Just this week I picked up some milk when I went to get my prescription because I didn't want to drive miles down the road to a grocery store. Sure I paid more, but it was another stop I didn't have to make.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I should clarify, the target is 2 minutes from the Walgreens, not where I live. I guess my experience as always been that Walgreens is relatively close to another, larger store and that the Walgreens is so exorbitantly priced that it's worth getting to the other store. Then again, I haven't spent time living in a truly dense urban center, so that makes a ton more sense.

I suppose my argument is more like "the suburban or rural case for a Walgreens when another store is way cheaper and not unreasonably out of reach doesn't make much sense to me."

Its convenient and quick. Its one of the easiest places to go if you're heading to a party and need to pick up drinks or snacks.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
most if not all the walgreens or CVS near me are on the corner on or a block away from a bus stop. not everyone has a car to go to Target

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I never went to Walgreens until I moved and it became ever so slightly closer to my house than larger grocery stores. So definitely convenience related.

And then for some people having a national pharmacy chain can be important instead of relying on local/regional grocery store chains. Obviously, Target pharmacies are operated by CVS, but that's an exception.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I go to Walgreens for the clearance items.. they're not shy about marking stuff down to get it out of there.

I picked up a couple of 12 pack boxes of 5 Hr Energy for $1 each. Basically it's worth going through the store looking for orange stickers. Ten cent bottles of 100 ct. Tylenol, fifty cent pizzas, etc.

Mainly I go when they have Arizona Teas on sale 2 for $1.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the argument over convenience. And I don't mean for Targets sake. Just go bulk buy at a grocer for a 1-2 weeks worth of food. Then instead of having to walk/drive 2 minutes every so often to your Walgreens, you don't have to go at all and spend extra money. You'll save so much money and time doing that, and it forces you to learn a lot of self control/discipline because you have to make that food last.
It's never something that you're planning for. It's always realizing that you don't have something the moment that you need it.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Convenience is why Walgreens wins out.

For me, it's a short drive, parking lot is small, store is small (so I don't have to look around for long), and the check-out lines are usually short or nonexistent. I had to run down to get something the other night and I completed the entire roundtrip to Walgreens within 15 minutes. Target wasn't even open but, if it was, it probably would've been a 40-45 minute ordeal.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Walgreens is a convenience store.
Target is an inconvenience store.

I have a Walgreens and CVS within equal distance of me. I actually prefer Walgreens because the CVS is always super packed and a shit show. I never liked Walgreens as a brand, I Was always a CVS person growing up, but now I'm particularly crowd resistent.

My 3 year old and I go to walgreens every weekend. We get up, go do errands, and part of those errands are getting her a chocolate milk at Walgreens, then getting a coffee + muchkins from dunkin donuts, and we eat those at the park.

The Walgreens near me is basically always empty, no lines, no people, and it's just way more convenient for me than the shitass CVS same distance, but always a zoo with long lines wrapping down the first aisle... and with a 3 year old during covid, no bueno.

It's not even in the same ballpark as target. Target is a huge store, not for going into and getting a single item for convenience. Target is a big box store/super market, not a convenience store. Walgreens is primarily a convenience and pharmacy store that has some grocery items. Target is a huge busy parking lot that isn't convenient to get to the door. Walgreens is small and I park within 1-2 spaces of the door.

Last edited:

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Also my tiny grocery I usually use doesn't have a lot of OOC medications and other assorted health items and my local pharmacy is small.

I'd rather go into Walgreens for those things than Walmart or a bigger grocery store.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Target won't build on my side of town because we're too poor. But I guess I should make the effort to give them money.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
It's never something that you're planning for. It's always realizing that you don't have something the moment that you need it.
I guess that's fair, but for me living in a rural area that's just kinda like "Well, guess I'll get that next time." and live without for a week or so.

Edit: Unless you mean meds or pain relief stuff, that's different obviously but probably should be a rare thing so an emergency "go to the store" moment is fine to get get something in a hurry.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is the perfect encapsulation of the thinking that plagues our world.

"Why would someone possibly not do things the way that I do them?"

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Walgreens is the closest pharmacy to me, and far closer than Target or anything else like it.

Besides the grocery store I guess, but Walgreens has a much bigger selection of shampoos, face wash, non-prescription medicines, etc.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't go to Walgreens but do visit CVS cause it's super near me so more convineance Targets/ Walmarts are way further away like 5 miles away

But fuck cvs and Walgreens their prices are always jacked up.

yeah, their prices are way higher because they can't compete on volume/big items like Target, WalMart, etc. I kinda think of it as the price of convenience, vs. going to a giant store, dealing with long lines, etc. Milk is usually like $3/gallon at the supermarket for me, and easily like... $4.79 at Walgreens or $3.29 for a half gallon at CVS/walgreens. But my supermarket regularly has lines 6-8 people deep and like 2 checkout cashiers for the whole store + shit show at self-checkout, plus a giant lot that I have to park far away from. With a kid ... I fucking hate going to the supermarket, because to get something quick like a half gallon of milk I have to walk all the way to the back with a kid and then stand in line for 5-10 mins for one damn item.