• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be crossplay with PC?

• Yes

Votes: 202 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 44 10.4%
  • at least Opt-in

Votes: 179 42.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
True solution is to have proper anti-cheat, server side.

IIRC, wasn't in-game aimbot cheating type stuff. It was more exploits around losses not showing up on your record or getting into "lower-ranked" games to clean up on the lesser players.

End result is the same though.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only plays on PC...I'm wondering where all these blatant cheaters are in my games, I don't see them. In fact, this board is the only place I've seen so many people concerned about PC cheaters.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Yes? I don't want to lose the ability to play with my friends because some people might cheat.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
To be honest, I think this website really exaggerates the prevalence of cheating on the PC. I ran into more hackers playing CoD4, MW2, and Halo 2 on the xbox/xbox 360 than I have on PC games.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
More anti-cheat effort, and opt-out option for crossplay for people who think half their death are somehow the result of cheating.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They were abusing penalties of it to play against much lower skilled players, so they can easily instantly wipe them all out.

It's smurfing, which really isn't the end of the world IMO. Someone better than me joining my game and being better isn't really that huge of a problem... Now some dude seeing every player through walls with instant headshot lock-ons, speedhacks, no clipping etc etc... that's a completely different story.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
To answer your question:
No, I don't think crossplay should be removed for a good reason: How will people complain about """cheaters""" when they cant take a loss ?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only plays on PC...I'm wondering where all these blatant cheaters are in my games, I don't see them. In fact, this board is the only place I've seen so many people concerned about PC cheaters.
I have only ever encountered cheating in console games tbh. That I'm aware of, of course.

Because pc players don't have a choice about playing against other pc players but console players do? Seems pretty obvious.
Those PC players should still be up in arms and complaining about the lack of proper measures then - and while I'm sure that happens - we never seem to hear about it on the same scale considering that they should be encountering these cheats pretty much every time they play, no? Are you saying PC players are just so used to it that they no longer care and just shrug and get on with it?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Durante used to keep a log of how many cheaters he'd encounter in Dark Souls which was apparently rampant with them. It wasn't people just saw videos and assumed that was how it always was.. He had well over 100 pvp matches without any last time he posted about it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Notice how people mostly bring them up in context of streamers.

As if streamers don't have giant ass griefer/troll targets on their backs because they're streamers.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are plenty of cheaters on console as well.

And realistically myself and the average gamer almost never see cheaters on PC.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Disabling pc cross play always feels like punishing the players because of the rich game companies inability or unwillingness to invest in better anti cheat.

Honestly i am always shocked how much of this community is willing to give rich companies an easy out and put the blame and consequences squarely on part of the player community on this subject.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
I don't understand people saying that they'll be punished if crossplay is disabled. Like in what way will you be punished?

Warzone is a pain in the ass to play right now when every other match there's a dude with an aimbot shitting on the whole server.

I'm just glad that BF6 will give us the option to enable console only crossplay.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I have only ever encountered cheating in console games tbh. That I'm aware of, of course.

Those PC players should still be up in arms and complaining about the lack of proper measures then - and while I'm sure that happens - we never seem to hear about it on the same scale considering that they should be encountering these cheats pretty much every time they play, no? Are you saying PC players are just so used to it that they no longer care and just shrug and get on with it?
Lots of my friends complain about it but what are they going to do?

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Make it opt-in. Seems like the best option. People who don't have a problem with it can enable it and play with PC gamers and people who want to avoid blatant aim-bots should have that option as well

gameguy682

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I think crossplay should be a thing, but anything that gives KB+M a huge advantage (like FPS and RTS games), there should at least be an Opt-in. Either that or have crossplay on inputs only (who's to say you can't let a PC player play with console players even if they use a controller, or vice versa with console and KB+M)

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with a full "no" or even an "opt in", but I'd be OK with "opt out" being an option. People who don't want to crossplay would still be able play with only console users if they really wanted to, but less popular games would be less affected by it.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
For all the whining about cheaters on PC I'm either very stupid or I run into very very few of them. Like, I remember playing with people with aimbots and wall hacks on CS servers in the past and when you spectate them or just see them in action you can tell but outside of a bit in PUBG where someone was half a map away from my with an M16 and headshot me with no scope while the spectator/killcam thing had the camera basically just pointing at the ground I can't remember the last time I played against a cheater.

That just sounds like the difference with m+kb and controller.
lol what are you talking about. I'm talking about play the same game that doesn't support cross play ( or with cross play opt out) on those two platform. You aren't going to tell me those people can fly in BF1/Fall Guys/PUBG because their use mouse/keyboard?
Even with games that has better anti cheat, like siege, cheating is way more rampant on PC. (And I have over 600 hours of siege played on PC so I can tell a good player apart from a cheater).

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Yes, and they should fix the cheating.

How much money does warzone make in micro transactions, put that money into a competent anti cheat team.

You're blaming the players here, where the problem is with the devs.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Why should the vast majority of PC players who don't cheat be locked out and penalised becuase of a small handful of cheaters?

Why punish people who have done nothing wrong?
I don't understand this thread.

It's not about locking them out, but it's a fact that PC is open to much more cheating in games, and if you have the option to not put yourself in that position then why wouldn't you?
It's also not like there's no one to play with on PC anyway.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about locking them out, but it's a fact that PC is open to much more cheating in games, and if you have the option to not put yourself in that position then why wouldn't you?
Depending on the game, sometimes there isn't.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Via opt-in at the very least, but yes I still think the option to be able to play across with PC should exist.

I do personally hate encountering cheaters in online games but I'd still rather have the option to try and play with my brother and friends on PC, as a console player.

My hope is that ultimately, investment in anti-cheat can ramp up enough for this to not be a problem someday but I do know that that's a huge undertaking for any company... Would need a company that works around the clock to investigate and "solve" the issue and be able to push to a multitude of engines. Or, publishers/developers would need to have dedicated staff to do it on a per-game basis.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Cheating isn't near as big an issue as console people think it is, it's just that now that Crossplay is a thing it's the first time console audiences are really exposed to it and with that comes the hackophobia where every death is blamed on cheating.

Yes, Warzone has a cheating problem, and that is because the game has fuck all for anti cheat.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
And what if my friends are playing on console and I want to play with them on PC?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What year is this? I thought we moved beyond treating PC players like second class citizens. No, OP, abandoning cross play which companies worked years to establish is not the solution that you think it is.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Should be opt-in, well it should be input based for shooters really. Nothing to do with cheating though, there's plenty of extremely popular and free MP games which don't have rampant cheating problems.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I saw a lot more cheating on Modern Warfare 2 PS3 then I have on PC. That was a different time, though.

I play Overwatch regularly on PC and I don't think I've seen a single cheater.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. The problem doesn't go away by ignoring it. Devs and publishers should be developing resources to curb cheating, not strip out good features that are hindered by it.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This makes the assumption that cheating isn't a thing on console without crossplay, which I don't believe is the case. Ive seen the same cheat/hack that works on PC across multiple games (pretty much any game), work on PS4, Xbox one, ps5, Xbox series x etc etc. With what appears to be zero modification..pretty much hacks that are universal and work across multiple titles and platforms..what game devs need to invest in is some type of machine learning hack detection across all platforms because that's where the future of hacking his heading imo.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
people can easily cheat on console as well.
they should invest on a better anticheat.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Opt in for sure. Some devs aren't lazy and can actually do something about this cheating. For those devs that refuse to do anything then thought shit PC players.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Talk about over exaggeration. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw a cheater playing on PC. Probably about the same time I saw a cheater on consoles. Crossplay for every game is a must for every platform with no exceptions.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That's why an opt in choice should exist.
Which would, depending on the game, immediately kill the community on PC.

There shouldn't be an opt anything; just work to improve anti-cheats and start recording reported players for any cheating behavior once they get flagged by enough people and then move them into a cheaters lobby and then ban them once their footage has been looked over by mods.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I play on PC and can count on one hand the amount of times that someone was clearly cheating. I'm sorry but I do not believe for a second that it is that rampant. I think its more likely that 9 out of 10 times that someone was cheating, he wasn't and you're just blaming anything but yourself.

This is exactly the same as when people say that they can't climb ranks because of their teammates. That is not a thing, if you're good enough you're good enough, the enemy players aren't gonna be better than your teammates. So just different kinds of people. Some will blame team mates and others will blame cheating. And I'm the same, it probably has to do with human psychology. I just go more for the team mates excuse. And yes you may think its not an excuse. I'm not saying you're making it up. When I blame teammates I also feel like that's genuinely what happened. But if after 500h you're still stuck in bronze but you think you should be in gold.. nah, you shouldn't, and its not just your team mates.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
wwz has had crossplay since early 2020 I think and it's been great. pve cheating has no real purpose.

If people want to boost stats they can always play single player mode without going on people's ignore lists.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If devs can't get a handle on effective anti-cheat measures on PC, yes there absolutely should be at bare minimum an opt-out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.