• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020
With the recent move to drop the XBL Gold requirement for free-to-play games, bringing Xbox more in line with PS, do people think that we'll ever see Sony drop the PS+ requirement for cloud saves?

Free cloud saves is something that Xbox and Steam have always had and for me personally, how seamlessly saves transfer between machines (even XB/XB360 one) is a huge plus for the Xbox ecosystem.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
It would be great for us, but I don't think that this is going to happen. Sony shows sometimes that doesn't care what MS does or maybe they have other plans.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not until they're the last holdout. They and Nintendo require payment for cloud saves.

Deleted member 44122

not anytime soon. thats like the only feature i actually need from ps+ :P i dont really play multiplayer games and the ps+ games mostly arent that interesting to me or if they are i already own them

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think the problem is it isn't actually free to give people these online services. Some of the money actually does go into paying for things. In the case of cloud saves, PS has to pay someone else to host all of those cloud saves for them. MS doesn't. I think that's why you will continue to see cloud savings behind the paywall for Playstation.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I really hope they will, especially now that PS5 saves can't be backed up on an USB.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they might with PS5, but it doesn't look likely unless it becomes a thing as loud as the recent PS3/Vita uproar (or as loud as my PS4 Pro on God of War's pause menu LOL).

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem is it isn't actually free to give people these online services. Some of the money actually does go into paying for things. In the case of cloud saves, PS has to pay someone else to host all of those cloud saves for them. MS doesn't. I think that's why you will continue to see cloud savings behind the paywall for Playstation.

They can pay for those from 30% cut on PSN and their cut from retail games.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
One can only hope they do just because is the right thing to do. It's even worst now that the PS5 don't have a way to backup your saves to a USB drive. Another thing is that the PS+ benefits aside from playing MP are not shared across other accounts on the same console so cloud saves are only "good" for the account with PS+. It's freaking terrible.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not

Don't think they're going "tit for tat" in terms of features but, like anything enough noise and they might.

I think the big issue is that no one really makes enough noise about it.

OP
OP
xenonium

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020

MS still has to pay for the servers to host, it isn't free. Given that they're both making 30% on all sales, it seems like the amount from that to host a save would be negligible.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Economy of scale for Microsoft helps for sure but I don't think it's out of reach for any online focused company of huge success to not offer it, they just choose not to. See Micosoft with their former idiotic polices for F2P, Netflix, Youtube, IE on Xbox.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting this is a thing. Equally as stupid as MS gate keeping free multiplayer.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why they don't at least give a free tier for cloud saves. 10GB (instead of 100GB) and 100 saves (instead of 1000, although that is already too low) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
No. Simply because MS is competing for the customer, Sony already has the customer.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
They should outright fix their cloud save system altogether. It is garbage if you actually hop between systems and don't get me started on how it works with PS Now.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Cloud saves in 2021 should be done for free. It also sucks that only my account has it (PS+) and that's not a benefit that transfers to other users on the same console.

Having had a SeriesX for a month now.. it's a dream to have Cloud storage everywhere and for free. Sony needs to step up.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The very least Sony should do is make cloud saves seamless, and if they are charging me, they really need to make save storage size unlimited. At the very least they need to offer a way to make sure all my cloud saves backup and install to my machines seamlessly without micromanagement.

It's really frustrating knowing I paid for this service for years, yet still managed to lose hundreds of hours of save files anyways. It also sucks booting a PS5 game back up on my PS4 and not being able to access my PS5 save file.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Nope, but you can always stick in a USB stick and save your game and take it elsewhere I believe.

Apparently no longer the case with the PS5

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
They should outright fix their cloud save system altogether. It is garbage if you actually hop between systems and don't get me started on how it works with PS Now.

To be fair, they did just make improvements on PS5 with that system update. When you launch a game it now automatically checks to see if you have a later save in the cloud.

Still a long way to go until it's as seamless as Xbox though, definitely.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why they don't at least give a free tier for cloud saves. 10GB (instead of 100GB) and 100 saves (instead of 1000, although that is already too low) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
10GB is about as much as anybody can ever upload to PS4 PSN with the item limit. They should fix it before making it free.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No, because these things are not related and Sony can get away with it.

Sony will continue to get away with it as long as console makers continue to charge for online play (on paid games). Because online is a basic feature that most people need, Gold and Plus are considered by most people to be mandatory subscriptions you must pay for to use the console. Therefore you're forced to pay that $60/year anyway ($20/year on Nintendo) so cloud saves behind paywall is not a deal breaker for anyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Doubt it, they even removed transferring PS5 game saves to USB

Not with PS5 games
Wait, how is the situation here?

I thought you can now load PS4 saves off a USB flash drive onto the PS5. Did I dream this?

Or am I misunderstanding this and it is really only games marked as "PS5" that you can not back up from PS5 to USB? But PS4 games you can back up to USB even on a PS5? Or can you only LOAD back up saves from USB to a PS5 (made on PS4)?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't think so? MS didn't even make this change, or at least announced it, out of nowhere, it was after the backlash over the Live Gold price hike, so I don't see why Sony would answer this with something that isn't even directly related.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because these things are not related and Sony can get away with it.

Sony will continue to get away with it as long as console makers continue to charge for online play (on paid games). Because online is a basic feature that most people need, Gold and Plus are considered by most people to be mandatory subscriptions you must pay for to use the console. Therefore you're forced to pay that $60/year anyway ($20/year on Nintendo) so cloud saves behind paywall is not a deal breaker for anyone.
I think the OP was implying that they're related in that, Sony had this thing in Column A (free "f2p" games) and MS and this thing in Column B (free cloud saves), now MS has both column A & B, so would Sony follow suit.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
They can pay for those from 30% cut on PSN and their cut from retail games.
There's multiple ways to do it but taking a cut out of their retail game cut still doesn't solve the problem. They are taking a hit somewhere. The theory goes that this way only the people that need cloud saves are paying for them, I would imagine. They could definitely subsidize the cost by spreading it to all Playstation users like you mention but they don't seem to want to do that. MS has done this but Sony seems to think it is better to have the people who use cloud saves pay for them fully.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wait, how is the situation here?

I thought you can now load PS4 saves off a USB flash drive onto the PS5. Did I dream this?

Or am I misunderstanding this and it is really only games marked as "PS5" that you can not back up from PS5 to USB? But PS4 games you can back up to USB even on a PS5? Or can you only LOAD back up saves from USB to a PS5 (made on PS4)?
You can save and load from an USB for PS4 saves only on a PS5. PS5 saves can't be moved at all.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
They won't make a move until they can enhance the feature to some degree.

My example (and hopes) would be:
-Free base amount of storage to all users, like 20GB or something. (random made-up number, don't read into it too much)
-Unlimited storage for PS+ members.
-Improved syncing and auto backing/downloading of saves.
-When downloading a game to your console it auto-checks if you already have save data for that game in the cloud and auto-downloads it along with the game, so no need to install the game and then go sync the saves before starting up.
-Essentially it working smoothly, quickly, and seamlessly like Steam.