• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the "popular" weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday.

IDRrZU6.png

xlGtVfg.png

ZOWqvjx.png

WLyyxYt.png

MAAH1zv.png

ZfWUsUK.jpg

Worldwide Updates:

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be curious to know the budget of the green knight. Absolutely loved the film and was happy to experience it with the theater experience.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Jungle Cruise also made $30+m from Premier Access. Really solid result for a film that hasn't had much hype - half of what Black Widow pulled in its first weekend.

I don't think PA is going away.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Had tickets for green knight later but my wife doesn't want to be in a crowd so we canceled the tickets. 🥲

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Jungle Cruise also made $30+m from Premier Access. Really solid result for a film that hasn't had much hype - half of what Black Widow pulled in its first weekend.

I don't think PA is going away.

For right now at least, Disney is still sticking to "only in theaters" for Shang Chi. So while it may not go away for good, there's a good chance we see at least one movie go without it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
For right now at least, Disney is still sticking to "only in theaters" for Shang Chi. So while it may not go away for good, there's a good chance we see at least one movie go without it.

Yeah I highly doubt Disney would change Shang Chi to PA this late, and I don't think they'll use PA for their biggest movies like Spider-Man (I assume Sony wouldn't allow that anyway).

I think generally they'll use it for non-MCU Disney movies. I'm still quite surprised Free Guy isn't a hybrid release but it seems to be picking PR steam in the last few weeks.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
*Looks at YTD domestic studio market share*

Disney's about to pull away from the 3-way race. Sony, lol.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Shang Chi's gonna tank hard without Premier Access. Don't know why they chose that movie to go all in on theaters.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Shang Chi's gonna tank hard without Premier Access. Don't know why they chose that movie to go all in on theaters.

Just comes down to they expected the pandemic to be getting better by then and public awareness and confidence of open theaters would be high by then. Obviously the delta variant flipped that on its head.

It not doing well is going to be a fine argument for PA as the pandemic continues but I wouldn't read into it as the permanent decision maker either.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I highly doubt Disney would change Shang Chi to PA this late, and I don't think they'll use PA for their biggest movies like Spider-Man (I assume Sony wouldn't allow that anyway).

I think generally they'll use it for non-MCU Disney movies. I'm still quite surprised Free Guy isn't a hybrid release but it seems to be picking PR steam in the last few weeks.

Free Guy can't as it's a Fox film that was in production pre-buyout. It legally has to go to theaters only. They never wrote in hybrid release into the contracts at the time since no one saw the pandemic coming then.

Also, Fox has an existing contract with HBO for film releases until next year.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
A $91.8M combined global theatrical and PVOD start are not the ingredients to profit off a tentpole with excellent audience exits which cost an estimated $362M in negative cost, distribution and marketing expenses.

Hopefully Emily wins her lawsuit.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They never wrote in hybrid release into the contracts at the time since no one saw the pandemic coming then.
That didn't stop them with Black Widow 😝

Seriously though, they probably thought it was unwise go directly against HBO / WB / AT&T (at the time) just for the Fox films.

But didn't Disney tried to stop honouring royalties for Fox properties alleging they weren't the ones who signed them? lol

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Cool to see Green Knight come in at #2.

Jungle Cruise numbers seem solid, but I'm not sure what the budget for the film was. It seems like the vast majority of people who have interest in a film see it week 1, so not sure where it will end up domestically. I'm curious how well Suicide Squad will do next week.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see Green Knight come in at #2.

Jungle Cruise numbers seem solid, but I'm not sure what the budget for the film was. It seems like the vast majority of people who have interest in a film see it week 1, so not sure where it will end up domestically. I'm curious how well Suicide Squad will do next week.
200 million...it's got a long ways to go to be a success.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Man, more money spent on Jungle Cruise OW across theatrical and Premium Access than Space Jam has made in theaters life to date. Must mean it is a huge success.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Free Guy can't as it's a Fox film that was in production pre-buyout. It legally has to go to theaters only. They never wrote in hybrid release into the contracts at the time since no one saw the pandemic coming then.

Also, Fox has an existing contract with HBO for film releases until next year.
Nomadland did skip the HBO Max release, so i think it's possible for Free Guy to skip it after the 45 days.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Green Knight doesn't fully escape the Disney grip either with Lowery's next movie being Peter Pan for Disney+. I bet he's calling his agent to see what his backend deal looks like from a streaming only movie.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A decent opening to the Snooze Cruise considering the pandemic-era.

However I imagine that trash wouldn't have opened much higher under normal circumstances.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a struggle for Jungle Cruise to make a profit with those weak overseas numbers. Movie has the same budget as Black Widow but with none of the MCU hype.

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Green Knight doesn't fully escape the Disney grip either with Lowery's next movie being Peter Pan for Disney+. I bet he's calling his agent to see what his backend deal looks like from a streaming only movie.

Lowery is used to producing flops for Disney (his last movie before Green Knight was Pete's Dragon), so I doubt he's particularly worried.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Decent rollout but man, I think Blunt is about to join ScarJo alongside Stone.

Shang-Chi and Candyman have to hope things aren't as fucked come a month later.

PA is here to stay, just fix those contracts.

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
When does the Rock start attacking critics and people for not seeing Jungle Cruise?

Once it drops 60-70% next weekend like almost everything else has this summer.

Decent rollout but man, I think Blunt is about to join ScarJo alongside Stone.

Shang-Chi and Candyman have to hope things aren't as fucked come a month later.

PA is here to stay, just fix those contracts.

The crux of the argument in that case is that Disney technically isn't in the wrong, especially since the contracts for these movies were signed before the pandemic ever happened. They guaranteed the movie a wide release with 1500+ theaters, and that's what they gave it. Contract doesn't say anything about excluding streaming, so they didn't break it by adding it. ScarJo's entire case basically hinges on whether or not a judge says "we guarantee you a theatrical wide release" means "we guarantee you an exclusive theatrical wide release" even though the contract doesn't say it (but correspondence after the fact might).