• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
What are the worst examples when a writer wanks off a character in order to show how awesome they are but its done in such an obnoxious way that you can't help but roll your eyes at it. For me, It's Bakugo in the upcoming arc of the anime and the JT arc from the manga:

latest

So in this arc, Class1A and 1B are doing training rounds against each other. In Bakugo's round, he beats a recommended student and pretty much manhandles everyone with no one on his team losing and this is all done in 2 chapters while everyone is praising him for doing what others have done from the start.....cooperation. I mean Todoroki, like one of the class's strongest struggled and got knocked out along with Tokoyami in the round before that. It's even more jarring when after that, All Might says Bakugo is a good childhood friend/good friend, despite him doing nothing but bully Midoriya for most of that and having done nothing to show any kind of good friend behavior. Yeah this was pretty bad

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Neil Breen in every single film he's ever made. His movies are just people constantly praising him and saying he's the best.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Tolkien on Fëanor:

"For Fëanor was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind: in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and subtlety alike: of all the Children of Ilúvatar, and a bright flame was in him."

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Prometheus in Justice League Cry for Justice (a horrible book anyways)

8gpazWl.jpg

Dude takes down some of the most powerful members of the Justice League in seconds.

Not even Deathstroke in equally awful Identity Crisis was that out of character powerful.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

8gpazWl.jpg

Dude takes down some of the most powerful members of the Justice League in seconds.

Not even Deathstroke in equally awful Identity Crisis was that out of character powerful.

This is nerfed Prommie.

He's way stronger than that in JLA, fighting the proper league and taking out Batman, Flash, GL, stymies supes.

JLA was also vastly better written though. It's shocking that the same person who wrote Starman wrote Cry for Justice.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019

Yup. It actually got to the point where I got completely turned off the character and I'm to the point where I actually kinda dislike him now.

8gpazWl.jpg

Agreed. And since Prometheus in this was essentially written to be "evil Batman" it sorta hilighted what exactly was bothering me and was more or less the turning point for me to dislike Batman too.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
In Half Life 2, it seemed like the main point of every NPC, but especially Alyx, was to show how awesome "Gordon" is. Except Gordon was such an obvious non-character that it was plainly clear that it was really to convince you, the player, of how awesome you are. It was irksome, to say the least.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
cYydbuY.gif

We gotta work out the specific criteria to work out how much wankage a character is given. Some sort of categorised wankography.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
In Half Life 2, it seemed like the main point of every NPC, but especially Alyx, was to show how awesome "Gordon" is. Except Gordon was such an obvious non-character that it was plainly clear that it was really to convince you, the player, of how awesome you are. It was irksome, to say the least.

Yeah, this is pretty good.

I love HL2 and I think the 'hero worship' theme of Gordon is a nice nod to your role in the 'Resistance,' but the constant fawning over Freeman by Alyx like,...... when he doesn't talk ...... is so lame. I know it's also kind of a 4th wall breaking thing, but it's just lame.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Bradley Cooper's shitty fucking character in Burnt. The people that made that movie were so in love with the shitty character they made. Holy shit what an awful movie. He literally physically assaults a woman half way through and they try to paint it as a "cool chef" moment. Douchey character douchey movie.

LOL how did I almost forget the part where Uma Thurman's character talks to Bradley and unironically says "How did I, a lesbian woman, find myself in the curious position of having sex with you? A straight white man? You're so fucking cool"

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel has Wolverine

DC has Batman

I mean he survives this and punches the badguy out in the next panel.

main-qimg-2cb498df0bc1c4c976d9d3bb726af2b5-c

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Taita from Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series. Pretty much the da Vinci of Ancient Egypt and perfect in every conceivable way except for been a eunuch.

71551WpiZHL.jpg

Dec 2, 2017
Every mission in ace combat 7. Three strikes is the best! Three strikes is special! trigger is the only way who could take on the experimental squadron! Etc.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
M. Night Shyamalan in Lady in the Water. He plays a character who is destined to be assassinated because he releases a book with political ideas so amazing and revolutionary that he's seen as a threat or something.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Does the player character in many RPGs count? It is sadly more often than not that your character is treated like the sexist badass who ever lived than anything else. It's partly what holds back the story in so many games.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Red Hulk

images

Yes, that is him using the Silver Surfer's board and Terrax's weapon.

Other highlights include using the lack of gravity to lift Mjolner and punching out the freaking Watcher.

Oct 30, 2017
Robert Langdon is a Batman-level detective and historic savant with eidetic memory who single-handedly takes on corrupt organized religion and WINS!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I could do without hearing how great Oden is in OP every other chapter rn. I could think of a few that are far worse, and this one isn't even that bad, but this one is just the most annoying to me right now

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of pulp fiction characters like Doc Samson or Conan were amazing at most everything they needed to do for the story. Conan might be a barbarian but he was often portrayed as more civilized and thoughtful than the city dwelling folk he met for example.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
im not gonna say he's the worst ever out there but Mako from Legend of Korra is a pretty bad one.

honestly, they backed themselves into a corner by naming him after Uncle Iroh's late voice actor. you don't want to dishonor the guy so this character is so handsome and so smart and so talented and so selfless he's willing to die for everyone and blah blah blah

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Nathanos from WoW. He's the self-insert of one of the writers, can't lose any fight, beats literal demi-gods, gets away with everything while his power is basically that he can shoot good with an arrow.

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
Cable in his first appearances was just awful about this. Every single other character kept talking about how awesome and badass, yet intelligent he was, and characters who didn't trust this new mysterious mentor to a group of teenagers were shown as being bad and insecure compared to how awesome Cable was.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, Bakugo and Kirito are the worst ones for me.

To some extent, Naruto comes off as bad to me too. And less frequently Boruto but also with worse reasoning.

Naruto's like a ninja Kingdom Hearts Sora but worse because it works in the cheesy games that are Kingdom Hearts.