• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you personally rather have a The Last of Us Remake or Day's Gone 2?

• The Last of Us Remake

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • Days Gone 2

Votes: 1,109 50.5%
  • I have no interest in either game

Votes: 747 34.0%

• Total voters

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
I made this thread last year, well before the Schrier article, and y'all weren't nearly feeling DG2 like that.

www.resetera.com

Which would you want most from Bend Studio: Days Gone 2 or a new Syphon Filter?

Bend Studio is best known for the Syphon Filter series and Days Gone. While they're almost certainly developing a Days Gone sequel, would anyone prefer a new Syphon Filter instead? The studio still retains key personnel from Syphon Filter 1 (John Garvin, Darren Yager). I think a new Syphon...

Oct 12, 2020
I've got a lot of issues with Days Gone. It stinks of a game trapped in development hell. It's super uneven in its script and pacing, it's bloated with content that often doesn't justify itself, and the entire zombie hoard feature feels like it's undercooked and aggressively wrestling with the archaic PS4-tier hardware ceiling. It's precisely the fact it's undercooked and struggling that I want a sequel. I wound up enjoying it as a whole a lot more than I anticipated, and I feel the concept and gameplay loop could be vastly improved with more focused direction and a hardware ceiling that could make better, more regular, and interesting use of massive zombie hoards. The actual shooting in Days Gone felt surprisingly punchy and good, the bike was pleasing to drive and upgrade, the setting is gorgeous, and it has some of if not the most impressive seamless weather condition transitions I've ever seen in an open world game. The potential for the gameplay loop is there, especially if more emphasis is put on the presence of the hoards and how they engage with the game world.
I agree. From the user comments here, Days Gone has some good elements, but the trailers and screeshots were never convincing. A bad first impression is hard to overcome. A sequal may could build on the good parts and have a overall better impression. It really need to go into a different art direction or setting, so that it doesn't look like "Zombie game in the woods" like The Last of Us or Walking Dead, which is still super played out.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the dilemma here. It's not like Sony decided to make the LOU Remake in place of Days Gone 2. The question should be between DG2 and a new IP by Bend.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I made this thread last year, well before the Schrier article, and y'all weren't nearly feeling DG2 like that.

www.resetera.com

Which would you want most from Bend Studio: Days Gone 2 or a new Syphon Filter?

Bend Studio is best known for the Syphon Filter series and Days Gone. While they're almost certainly developing a Days Gone sequel, would anyone prefer a new Syphon Filter instead? The studio still retains key personnel from Syphon Filter 1 (John Garvin, Darren Yager). I think a new Syphon...

I don't think people suddenly love Day's Gone now, I just think most people prefer new games to remakes when push comes to shove, and The Last of Us Remake comes across as unnecessary even to a lot of people who like remakes

If you want to gamble on it, TLOU Remake will almost certainly be a good game, but it's a game most of us (on an enthusiast board) have played already, and we know that story already. It's also still quite recent in the memory, as a lot of people replayed it before TLOU 2 came out

Day's Gone 2 might be more of the same, but it might also take an Assassin's Creed 2 or Uncharted 2 level jump in quality and end up a fantastic game

So what do you bet on? The safe bet you have already played before, or the new game that could be a 7/10 but could also be a 10/10?

If Day's Gone 2 sucks, you don't miss out on much, as you already have TLOU Remastered. If you bet on TLOU Remake and it's just TLOU again with better graphics, then that's fun and all but it's still a game you've experienced before

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
There's no reason to remake TLOU, the Remaster already looks and plays great.

Ideally I'd like a new IP altogether, but if I had to choose then Days Gone 2.

Feb 26, 2021
I don't think this is applicable because comic book films are massive, and compared to them, comic books are not as popular.

They want to capture people who watch the films so they can get them into buying comic books, that's why they redesign the comics to match the films, to help nudge the film fans into the comic world

Same is true for TV shows and Games though. Gaming is far from a mature market. Everyone doesn't have a console in their home. There is still plenty of room to convert people onto gaming. Its why you see so many stories of Google/Amazon and MS talking about the future of gaming. If the gaming market was saturated you wouldn't see anyone talking about how big gaming is going to be, it'd be about how big gaming was.

That's not the same with gaming, the HBO show might be awful, or non gamers might see it as a generic zombie TV show. It's not guaranteed to be the next Game of Thrones, it's not even guaranteed to be the next Walking Dead, it's not even guaranteed to be any good at all, or if it is good, it might not even be popular and get cancelled after the first season
Do you think companies invest millions of dollars into things expecting them to flop and be terrible? Like do you think HBO is spending tens of millions of dollars to develop, produce and advertise something they expect to stink and flop? The answer is clearly no.

As you point out, nothing is guaranteed. So of course there is a chance it ends up not doing very well, but i doubt that's what they are planning or hoping for. Now lets imagine the game does, decently not next GoT but decently and they don't prepare for it. Where does a new fan go to get their TLoU fix? Digitally its only on PSN which you can only access through a PS4/PS5. You cant convert someone over if they need to already have your product before having a look at what they want. Do you expect them to hunt down a game disk that's no longer being produced and being sold on eBay over MSRP? or do you then spin up the production of the game, which will take you several years and miss the chance on capitalizing on the show?

The right answer is you take advantage of the free publicity you're going to get from HBO advertising the show, to sell new potential customers your product. You could be walking down a Target/Walmart isle and see a poster for your new favorite TV show. If you're impulsive enough, you'd walk out of that store with a new game and PS5 on hand.

People forget how much money is spend on advertisement. Days Gone 1 had 8 million dollars spent on advertisement alone. TLoU could easily have 20 to 30 Million dollars in advertisement alone, again would be silly of them to not take advantage of that.

Also from the perspective of a fan, isn't it lame when they amend the comics to match the films? I'm not a comic fan but I feel like that would just annoy me.
To the loyal and die-hard fans of course it does. Though its just the world we live in; Businesses sometimes have to make choices that aren't popular with some costumers but best to their bottom line.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I didn't like Days Gone but that game has a lot of fans and makes more sense to me than remaking an 8-year-old game that has aged pretty well.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I like TLOU far more than Days Gone. But still, a remake of a game I played not so long ago ? I'd go for the new game without a doubt.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
TLOU still plays incredibly well today and its story holds up really strong.

A remake is literally pointless.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Same is true for TV shows and Games though. Gaming is far from a mature market. Everyone doesn't have a console in their home. There is still plenty of room to convert people onto gaming. Its why you see so many stories of Google/Amazon and MS talking about the future of gaming. If the gaming market was saturated you wouldn't see anyone talking about how big gaming is going to be, it'd be about how big gaming was.

Do you think companies invest several millions of dollars into things expecting them to flop and be terrible? Like do you think HBO is spending tens of millions of dollars to develop, produce and advertise something they expect to stink and flop? The answer is clearly no.

As you point out, nothing is guaranteed. So of course there is a chance it ends up not doing very well, but i doubt that's what they are planning or hoping for. Now lets imagine the game does, decently not next GoT but decently and they don't prepare for it. Where does a new fan go to get their TLoU fix? Digitally its only on PSN which you can only access through a PS4/PS5 you cant convert someone over if they to already have your product before having a look at what they want. Do you expect them to hunt down a game disk that's no longer being produced and being sold on eBay over MSRP?

The right answer is you take as much advantage of the free publicity you're going to get from HBO advertising the show to sell potential new customers your product. You could be walking down a Target/Walmart isle and see a poster for the new show you started watch. If you're impulsive enough, you'd walk out of that store with the game and new PS5 on hand.

People forget how much money is spend on advertisement. Days Gone 1 had 8 million dollars spent on advertisement alone. TLoU could easily have 20-30 Million dollars in advertisement alone, again would be silly of them to not take advantage of that.

To the loyal fans of course it does. Though its just the world we live in, business have to make choices that sometimes aren't the best for their costumers but best to their bottom line.

Yeah I agree on some of your points, however putting ND on a remake of a recent game, means if they do it to their standard, it will impact how many games they can release on the PS5. Even if they have 2 teams, those 2 teams could both be making new PS5 exclusives, as opposed to one exclusive and one remake

At a time where their main rivals are mopping up studios and gaining tons of exclusives, it just seems weird to reduce the amount of exclusive content you can produce to try and get some non gamers to buy a PS5 thanks to being fans of a TV show

MS already tried to get non gamers on board with the original XB1 and it didn't work. The vast majority of people under 40 already play games, so I just can't see the audience for a TLOU TV show (the main demo probably being people under 40) bringing to Sony millions of people who don't already play games

I'm sure they have internal reports and numbers that show it is a good move, and after all, I'm just a random guy online who likes video games, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. I managed to call the OG XB1 and Stadia being massive flops and I (along with a lot of people on old GAF/Era) were dead right there, and that's not because we're genius', it's because it was obvious they were bad ideas. Remaking TLOU to serve a TV show just sees as obvious a bad idea to me. That said, I may be wrong, and I have been wrong in the past, so really only time will tell

I know Era is a bubble but even on Era, only 16.1% of the almost 2,000 people polled are really interested in a remake

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Guys, it is Days Gone not Day's Gone

The game was fixed and is free so people realized it is good.

lol OP can't even type the correct title of the game! :P
Anyway yeah I suppose it's really not a bad game, just one that many overlooked at launch. The reviews weren't exactly glowing either.

Maybe they'll get to revisit a potential sequel after their next game.

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed both Days Gone and The Last of Us, but I'd much rather have a whole new game from Bend (and as far as I can tell that's what we're getting... So huzza).

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Days Gone 2 isn't connected to TLOU Remake being made since that was a Sony VASG issue but I do believe Days Gone 2 had potential.

Uncharted 1 didn't blow things out of the water but ND was given the chance to make a sequel. I feel Days Gone 2 could've been something special.

I wish Bend Studio the best and hope they produce a unique, well reviewed, received and well sold new I.P since great sales alone clearly isn't enough anymore for SIE AAA studios.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Didn't like any of the characters in Days Gone, so I'm not mourning the loss of a sequel tbh. Wish they would've waited before remaking TLOU, but eh I guess they want a game to release with the HBO series

Oct 27, 2017
lol OP can't even type the correct title of the game! :P
Anyway yeah I suppose it's really not a bad game, just one that many overlooked at launch. The reviews weren't exactly glowing either.

Maybe they'll get to revisit a potential sequel after their next game.
I am doubting they will but hopefully the more fans it is getting due to plus and the pc changes Sony's mind.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I've got a lot of issues with Days Gone. It stinks of a game trapped in development hell. It's super uneven in its script and pacing, it's bloated with content that often doesn't justify itself, and the entire zombie hoard feature feels like it's undercooked and aggressively wrestling with the archaic PS4-tier hardware ceiling. It's precisely the fact it's undercooked and struggling that I want a sequel. I wound up enjoying it as a whole a lot more than I anticipated, and I feel the concept and gameplay loop could be vastly improved with more focused direction and a hardware ceiling that could make better, more regular, and interesting use of massive zombie hoards. The actual shooting in Days Gone felt surprisingly punchy and good, the bike was pleasing to drive and upgrade, the setting is gorgeous, and it has some of if not the most impressive seamless weather condition transitions I've ever seen in an open world game. The potential for the gameplay loop is there, especially if more emphasis is put on the presence of the hoards and how they engage with the game world.

This is basically where I'm at as well. Days Gone has a lot of glaring issues, but manages to be overall enjoyable almost despite itself. I went in with very low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. I'd love a sequel that knows what it wants, iterates on the good parts and ditches the bad, cleans up the jank, doesn't suffer from (what I guess are) constant script rewrites leading to some weirdly mismatched performances, and can utilize newer hardware to really make its emergent systems sing.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
People uninterested in Days Gone might not understand what battling hordes is like in that game. I had zero expectations going in but I was blown away by the experience. It was like Alien: Isolation all over again, in terms of the disconnect between how I ultimately felt about a game compared to what critics said.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Tlou 1 remake is honestly one of the dumbest thing ever. How does a game age that quick if it was so highly praised? The answer is it didn't. Doing a remake or supporting is like admitting that the game doesn't hold up anymore. It's a dumb move and a move that insults the original.

Tlou is fine it doesn't need a remake.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone 2 by a lot.

Remaking TLoU is something i would be interested as a launch title for the PS 7 or 8. It's to fresh and the PS4 remaster is really, really good.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU1 doesn't need a remake, it needs a simple and free remaster to run optimally on PS5.
DG isn't a game I'm interested in and judging from all I've read about it I wouldn't be interested in a sequel either.
So neither.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Bend were doing an Uncharted spinoff until they got the go ahead for their new ip?

That's a better question Uncharted spin-off or new ip?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Days Gone, but I also want to see Bend work on something new, so:

The remake. Part I being as immersive and feeling as good to play as Part II is worth it to me, and it's not going to eat into Naughty Dog's schedule much more than a couple of PS4 remaster projects did at the start of last-gen.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One doesn't need to exit.

The other could be a potentially great new experience.

This should be an easy one Era.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Well I agree with many that TLOU doesn't need a remake given how good the game still looks and plays, but TLOU is so much better than Days Gone that I simply wouldn't play/be interested in Days Gone 2.

Also I am a gigantic fan of Naughty Dog and whilst I would prefer an entirely new game/IP I would still buy a TLOU 1 Remake Day1 simply because I like the game so much and I believe in the talented people at Naughty Dog and they could use the power of the PS5 in ways that we wouldn't believe possible.
I think the PS5 is like atleast 10 times+ as powerful as the PS4 and probably even more if you factor in IPC gains and Naughty Dog would be able to create a game that feels like jumping two generations (which it kind of is since TLOU is from the PS3).

Feb 26, 2021
Yeah I agree on some of your points, however putting ND on a remake of a recent game, means if they do it to their standard, it will impact how many games they can release on the PS5. Even if they have 2 teams, those 2 teams could both be making new PS5 exclusives, as opposed to one exclusive and one remake

At a time where their main rivals are mopping up studios and gaining tons of exclusives, it just seems weird to reduce the amount of exclusive content you can produce to try and get some non gamers to buy a PS5 thanks to being fans of a TV show

At the end of the day the number of exclusives don't matter, how they connect with the audience does. MS could have 50 exclusives but if they don't connect then they might as well have 0. No one uses the number of new IPs/Exclusives to dictate how they feel about a generation. Like, I don't think I've ever seen anyone feel disappointed because the PS4 only had 9(Random Number lol) Exclusives instead of 10.

MS already tried to get non gamers on board with the original XB1 and it didn't work. The vast majority of people under 40 already play games, so I just can't see the audience for a TLOU TV show (the main demo probably being people under 40) bringing to Sony millions of people who don't already play games.

I'm sure they have internal reports and numbers that show it is a good move, and after all, I'm just a random guy online who likes video games, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. I managed to call the OG XB1 and Stadia being massive flops and I (along with a lot of people on old GAF/Era) were dead right there, and that's not because we're genius', it's because it was obvious they were bad ideas. Remaking TLOU to serve a TV show just sees as obvious a bad idea to me. That said, I may be wrong, and I have been wrong in the past, so really only time will tell

Both companies when in a dominant position looked for growth in other markets, that's business as usual. I think you vastly over estimate the console market as it currently is. Like i said in my other reply, gaming consoles are far from being ubiquitous. There are 128 Million Households in the US yet only 30M Ps4's have been sold in the US. Even if we limit those numbers to adults age 25 to 40 we get 67.66 Million adults yet only 30M Ps4's.Not everyone has a gaming console, heck i don't have one at this moment myself(Gave my last gen away). The potential customers are out there, they just need a way to get to them.

I know Era is a bubble but even on Era, only 16.1% of the almost 2,000 people polled are really interested in a remake

Part of that depends on what you interpret the Poll to mean. For example: I voted not interested in Either but if i had to choose one then i would buy TLoU:R. Like do you doubt the remake will sell millions more than Days gone?

Gamers like many other crowds will say they don't want something but when time comes to it, they buy it. Its why you see all the complaining about how bad CoD is yet it never fails to sell Hundreds of millions. DG2 is polling high right now because people feel like it was stolen from them.

Lastly more than half the people that voted against TLoU:R will be more than willing to forget their vote in this thread if it rates well. At that point its just Sony making good games and Xbox having no games. Go see the thread about some Xbox Exclusives being 2-3 years out, See if they care that BloodBorne was a remake.

Last edited:

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Days Gone is one of the most hated games on Era. The pre-launch threads was a disaster with people saying constantly how generic it was.

It's crazy how the public opinion changes fast.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us is one of my all time favourite games. I have no interest in it being remade.

Days Gone was an excellent game that not enough people gave a chance (whether that be fairly due to the launch state, or somewhat unfairly due to the game's so-so first impressions it gives). I ended up loving it and it's characters by the time I was done and I'd absolutely love to see it get a sequel.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed all of days gone so I definitely want a sequel. I have zero interest in a remake of the last of us. Seems like a giant waste if resources.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My interest in Days Gone is such that I've passed on it when it's been 149kr. But I'd rather have a sequel to that than an old thing again for the third time. Everyone who wants to play Loafus has done so by now. It has been ans is easily accessible to anyone at this point in time. The idea of a PS5 remake with better graphics to some extent, is so boring.

Probably the only remakes that aren't boring are the RE ones. Those are just flat out new games based on the framework of old ones. Boring nostalgia utilized as justification for creating something new and cool. Do it like that or don't do it. Or a quick port for the sake of accessibility and preservation is fine too, just highly unexciting as it's just a practical thing, like archiving.

I'd prefer something else get greenlit.
Like a proper spy game in the vein of Alpha Protocol x Hitman.
Or bring back Eight Days.
Vampire Bloodlines 3.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I'm not interested in either, but if I had to choose, I'd always take the new one, rather than some old stuff.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I have no interest in either, but if I had to choose, it would be DG2 easily. Last of Us is not due a remake at all.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only disappointed with Naughty Dog's output last-gen in the sense that they were unable to deliver a new IP. It was the development issues on Uncharted 4 to a large extent but I can't see that repeating itself. I doubt ND spending its first year or so of last-gen working on remaster projects was much to do with that either, if at all. They still managed to push out 3 incredible games between 2016 and 2020 that weren't remasters or remakes, but I understand the apprehension considering their last new IP was released almost 8 years ago, and it used to be a regular thing every generation.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I just finished DG, and I have no interest in either. Time for something new that's not a post-apocalyptic zombie stealth shooter please.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone 2, no contest for me.

Unlike a lot of you here (most?) I absolutely loved that game, I 100% completed it this year.
Granted, I waited until it was actually playable (60 fps), as I've tried it at launch and couldn't get into it then.

But in all honesty, it's by far my favorite PS4 game and would absolutely love a sequel, especially if all the coop plans for it turned out to be true.
TLOU isn't really something that needs to be replayed, I think. I'll gladly play TLOU sequels, but remakes? I feel no need to play that.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who hasn't played Days Gone, I would take Days Gone 2 over a TLOU Remake any day of the week. I played TLOU in the last 12 months and it holds up perfectly fine. I'd rather Sony put their money towards any game other than a TLOU Remake.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I want to say neither but I bet I would play Days Gone 2 at some point. Would rather funding/support go to something else entirely though.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm not exactly all fired up about the idea of a TLOU1 remake, but I'd definitely buy it and almost assuredly love it. Whereas I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about DG2, considering I could only stomach a few hours of DG1. Holy shit was a bore that was.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I honestly do not see the purpose of a Last of Us remake. The original game holds up phenomenally with the remaster at 60FPS.

It legitimately feels like whoever made the decision to remake TLoU doesn't understand why remakes are good/necessary sometimes.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Easily Days Gone 2 for me. I'd love to see Bend build on the foundations of the first game. Expand the world, tell a tighter story, add some logical QoL improvements - and to think what they could do with PS5 hardware - Yeah.