• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
So I know it got somewhat mixed reviews, but I am absolutely loving Trek to Yomi. It may be because of my love for Japanese and Samurai history, but I can't get enough of it at the moment.

It is hitting all the same notes that Ghost of Tsushima hit for me.

The combat is pretty basic, but for me is only a sideshow to the world and the art style.

Jan 31, 2022
Interesting indeed.

If that's true I really wish they would stray away from the usual suspects (i.e. Star Wars, Marvel... etc.).

Give me a Chronicles of Narnia RPG, keep it PG and I'll lose myself in it for weeks!

Hell, give me a new Aladdin game, I wouldn't mind.
A Chronicles of Narnia RPG would be great to see. I still remember how great the Chronicles of Narnia game made by Travelers Tales was back from 2005.

adam3s

Mar 17, 2021
I would not call SOD 2 a GAAS. Its updates are too infrequent/consistent. Just having post support in some manner does not make the games focus shift to be a service. Thats the core idea of GAAS.

That being said, ya, I think its awesome they have 2 teams. One working on SOD 3 and one doing updates to SOD 2 (something they did not need to do nor did they promise).

No, its a true GAAS, but the game is still being supported and has had 30 updates over 4 years inclduing: new maps, a campaign, graphics overhaul, new lightining engine, bounties and so many QoL updates. I'd say they've done a better job of being a service than some true GAAS titles *cough* Halo Infinite *cough*.

Grounded is another game that feels that way too, although with that not yet officially being released its more of an expectation.

Honestly one of the reasons I'm invested in the Xbox eco-system and happy with GamePass, it's led to me having a lot of games in rotation for years.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think it's pretty cool you can play games like Fortnite, Minecraft Dungeons, and MLB The Show across EVERY platform together including via the cloud.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
No, its a true GAAS, but the game is still being supported and has had 30 updates over 4 years inclduing: new maps, a campaign, graphics overhaul, new lightining engine, bounties and so many QoL updates. I'd say they've done a better job of being a service than some true GAAS titles *cough* Halo Infinite *cough*.

Grounded is another game that feels that way too, although with that not yet officially being released its more of an expectation.

Honestly one of the reasons I'm invested in the Xbox eco-system and happy with GamePass, it's led to me having a lot of games in rotation for years.

That does not make it a game as a service. Again, having that many updates is great but its not then focus of the game. Infinite's core is to be a service MS can make money off of consistently. SOD 2 is not that. Its a game that got longer support then anyone expected. Its not trying to continually gain new players and retain them to then make money off them. Aka what a GAAS is.

SOD 2 was also borked until the juggernaut update which did not launch until just shy of 2 years after launch. So comparing it to Infinite which is 6 months old is nonsense

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
So I know it got somewhat mixed reviews, but I am absolutely loving Trek to Yomi. It may be because of my love for Japanese and Samurai history, but I can't get enough of it at the moment.

It is hitting all the same notes that Ghost of Tsushima hit for me.

The combat is pretty basic, but for me is only a sideshow to the world and the art style.

yeah love the setting

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Since FIFA/Soccer is going to be broken up into 2 separate games now, Xbox NEEDS to get the marketing for one of those games if they ever want to make a dent in the EU market

No game dominates Europe like FIFA/Soccer and Sony has had the marketing deal for (it feels like) forever. Now is Xbox's chance to get into that market

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Since FIFA/Soccer is going to be broken up into 2 separate games now, Xbox NEEDS to get the marketing for one of those games if they ever want to make a dent in the EU market

No game dominates Europe like FIFA/Soccer and Sony has had the marketing deal for (it feels like) forever. Now is Xbox's chance to get into there
Who is gonna make the Fifa one now tho?

Det

Jul 30, 2020

No game dominates Europe like FIFA/Soccer and Sony has had the marketing deal for (it feels like) forever. Now is Xbox's chance to get into there

Aside from the delusional comment by FIFA in response to EA, who the hell is even developing their games? Let alone in time for 2023/2024.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

No game dominates Europe like FIFA/Soccer and Sony has had the marketing deal for (it feels like) forever. Now is Xbox's chance to get into that market

Xbox definitely shouldn't attach themselves to whatever garbage FIFA throws out.

If someone like 2K came on board then maybe, even then to get a game ready for 2024 will be a massive stretch.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
When fifa comes with a game. Everyone is already used to the other name from ea.
Don't think fifa will come with a game after all. They played chicken and lost and are now like. Shit we need to make a game and will understand how hard it is and bail out.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Btw, I said it before but Famitsu doesn't track amazon jp sales at all (or MS store JP for the record).
This makes sense, but I never knew this. I imagine these would be potentially pretty popular avenues to get consoles from, too. Hmm..

Sooo... I'm kinda annoyed.

I pre-ordered the collectors edition of AI The Somnium Files: nirvanA Initiative on Xbox back when it was announced (I had only played like an hour of the first game at the time lol, but I knew I'd like it if I gave it time). I had to pre-order it on Amazon US, as the game isn't even getting a standard physical version here in the UK. I've since played through the first game and absolutely loved it, so I was really looking forward to the sequel, and getting that art book and OST especially.

I got an email today telling me that my order is cancelled as the item is 'out of stock'. This is really irritating, since I ordered it literally within a minute of pre-orders going up. I guess they're probably only producing a tiny handful of CEs for Xbox :/

So now I'm in the position where I will have to buy the CE on Switch instead*, even though I won't play that version 😩 I have the first game physically on Switch, so I can sit the sequel next to it on the shelf I guess, but now here I am hoping and praying for a surprise Game Pass deal so I don't have to buy the game twice to get the CE and play it where I want to play it.

*the one upside is that I can get the Switch CE locally, which will save me a decent chunk of change
What's the point of preorders if you can't even generally match production to the preorders. Charge people a small deposit around when you spin up production to test commitment and then make the things that people want :<. That sucks :( I just started playing this game yesterday. Not sure I'm ready for another murder detective-ing game after something that ended up being warmer like Citizen Sleeper (and after other games like 999 and Danganronpa and even GTA SA), but.. it's been fun and weirdly lighthearted in some ways so far.

Something I thought was interesting from the SoD livestream, is that they switched engines twice during the development of SoD 2 (CryEngine > Stingray > UE4.) One of those switches happened half way through the development of SoD 2, meaning they had to throw away all their prototyping and early systems when they switched. They had to rebuild their whole gameplay loop and systems in those two years, they didn't have the core gameplay loop implemented until very late into development (months before release.) They didn't even know if they would be able to ship it working, what a crazy sounding development cycle and explains a lot of the issues with SoD 2 at launch. It's also why SoD 2 shipped light on content at launch, due to them loosing a year or more of development. Apparently with SoD 1 and 2 they didn't really have any sort of production process or dedicated producers, due to the team on SoD 1 being so small (22) and this caused issues with SoD 2 with it being a bigger team (50+) Now they have a much bigger team and an actual production team, they also reorganised how their team is structured. So everyone across every role in the studio including QA, has a seat at the table when it comes to what goes through production or not. Previously there would be a small group of the leads in the studio that would define what did or didn't go into development, without anyone determining if they would even be able to do it or build it in time.

EDIT : UE4 also didn't have any sort of open world streaming system at the time, so they had to build that completely themselves.
Huh. This is very interesting. To me, what this says is... why didn't MS delay this game, then? They must have been deep in discussions to buy the studio when they released the game. They knew they were about to pour a ton of money into the studio... if the project was in this sort of shape, they perhaps should have bit the bullet. I know it might have messed with the celebratory moment. But it could have been an opportunity to go "we care about quality in our 1st party games. And we're putting in every resource we can to make sure games we release are great." Anyway, that is kinda wild. But they now have many years of experience on UE4 with all the support they've done for SOD2. Looking forward to UL finding its way forward post-Jeff Strain. If people there end up being ok with Holt, missteps as they were, then they certainly have the potential to pull some cool stuff off in 3 at the end of the day.

In these past few days, ive run into so many people criticizing the tv show's lore accuracy and then use Halsey being Miranda's mother as an example. Like, dont get me wrong there are inaccuracies (and thats fine). But like..... really? Did people really not know this?
if there is one thing ive learnt seeing the reactions from people of the show its that many people don't know a damn thing about Halo's lore.
Ahahaha... so true. At this point, I avoid anyone complaining about lore accuracy. We left that boat behind so long ago that I stopped caring about lore accuracy in Ep2. It's just not that type of show now. Still very much rooted in Halo's universe, but very fundamental truths about the rules of said universe are different. Lore faithfulness is great, but that conversation/debate became irrelevant, and I pay it no mind now lol.

This is awesome! So I was a bit confused, but apparently you can get a variety of mouse "tails" that snap onto the mouse core (2 buttons and scroll wheel), so that a variety of people can hold/use it - similar to the variety of button types to access the big d-pad function. Interesting that there's no version of the dish from the Elite 2 haha. Plus, you can even get them to 3D print a custom mouse tail. This is really cool. I'll definitely be looking for more details when this comes out later this year. Though, not entirely sure what I might use it for. My family member has now improved from totally 100% paralyzed 2.5 years ago to being able to type at like 10 wpm on a regular keyboard and kinda use a regular mouse. Still, having some shortcuts might be great. I've loved the creativity of finding ways to use the Adaptive Controller so far.

This would be cool for Series S but all this tells me is that they're preparing to get rid of disc drive on Xbox Series X Slim/Pro/next gen Xbox and want to make sure people can still play all their owned disc games.

I imagine anybody with a large physical collection would just buy an Xbox Series X over the S, however when it's not an option at all... They will need this.
Perhaps, though I still do think this is a great idea. I think we all know that physical is on the outs. It's a major hardware cost and space taker at a time when managing margins of cost and device real estate is the name of the game. If SX slim can deliver on a price cut (doubt, for now, but still) by eliminating the disk drive, it might well end up being a great move. Especially if it perhaps allows them to compete with PS5 on cost (since I believe the unit cost of Series X is still much higher).

There are still some drawbacks, like you probably won't be able to play CDs of music or play BluRays (though, if they find a way to do this, that would be pretty awesome. Something like a partnership with RedBox or something, where you scan the disk through Redbox's app or something and then that unlocks the movie for viewing. Of course, I'd like it to work for movies that are owned and not just rented too.

Hopefully it's on Xbox systems. Hate to have to wait for another port from a PC-only game.
I'm not familiar, but is there any reason to need Xbox Live SDK/GDK experience for a PC only game? I know that Windows Store can hook into it, but would it be a priority if it were PC only? I actually don't know.

A Chronicles of Narnia RPG would be great to see. I still remember how great the Chronicles of Narnia game made by Travelers Tales was back from 2005.

Love the IP, but not Disney. Netflix have the TV/Film rights, not sure on other media.
Man, as soon as Narnia was brought up, I was like... that could be cool! Disney doesn't own the IP, but neither does Netflix. Netflix owns the publishing rights for all the books for movies and TV, which very specifically is not games. CS Lewis Company seems to be the entity that dealt with Netflix and I believe they would be the ultimate rights holders there.

Possibly my favorite book in the series is The Horse and His Boy, which is unique for not being set around the ostensible white European stand-ins of Narnia and not based around the Isekai stories of real human children falling into Narnia. Would love a story set during this period with the Pevensies on the throne in Narnia, but there still be plenty of normal life and strife to contend with throughout the world. (Just realized the post-millenial tribulation timeline that Narnia implies. Interesting. Anyway.)

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
How much do we think new campaigns for Infinite will cost, if we assume they're just as big as the main campaign? $40?

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Nothing surprising, but it looks like Forza Horizon 6 could already be starting pre-production:

gamingbolt.com

Forza Horizon 6 is Seemingly in Development, According to Job Listing

A recent job listing for a level designer at Playground Games has seemingly confirmed that development on the next Forza Horizon game is underway.

"Playground Games is looking for a Level Designer to join our Forza Horizon team," the listing reads. "As a member of the design team on a AAA title, you'll take responsibility for large sections of the game's level design, as well as mentoring and leading junior teammates.

"You will be a part of the level design team on our next AAA title, responsible for creating fun, playable gameplay experiences. During pre-production you will work closely with environment artists to create and iterate whitebox environments which prove core gameplay concepts."

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
$30 if i had to guess. Maybe included with GP ultimate I don't think there in a position to charge as much as Destiny 2.
Nah, they need to launch on Game Pass. But if you mean for people not subbed to GP, yes, $40 sounds about right.
Maybe they'll launch one or two on Game Pass but I don't see that being the norm. The biggest way Game Pass is going to become profitable is to get users to spend more on those expansions and DLCs. I could see an exceptions for Halo since it's had it rough but we'll definitely see.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Maybe they'll launch one or two on Game Pass but I don't see that being the norm. The biggest way Game Pass is going to become profitable is to get users to spend more on those expansions and DLCs. I could see an exceptions for Halo since it's had it rough but we'll definitely see.
Honestly, they've botched the launch so badly that I think they need to do them all on GP. Kind of like how No Man's Sky announced paid expansions and then the launch went so poorly they just do free updates for years.

Also, I personally think it's a selling point of GP. Tons of great single player experiences at no addition cost besides the sub fee. This is also me not wanting to buy them 😉

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Honestly, they've botched the launch so badly that I think they need to do them all on GP. Kind of like how No Man's Sky announced paid expansions and then the launch went so poorly they just do free updates for years.

Also, I personally think it's a selling point of GP. Tons of great single player experiences at no addition cost besides the sub fee. This is also me not wanting to buy them 😉
I agree it'd probably be better to just make them included in Game Pass.

I think the selling point of GP is to get the base game included at no additional cost but you pay for the expansion. That's the reason Game Pass makes sense and is sustainable. Unlike movies and TVs, you can sell players DLCs, skins, etc., and if we don't want to see Game Pass become like Netflix currently is, I think we should expect that for most games. Like I said I can see Halo being an exception because of the botched launch.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

They're free to do what they want and I'd obviously welcome including expansions in GP, but typically (always?) DLC for games on GP are paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.