• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu seems done with them in 6 haha. Like he's had enough of them.
Exactly. Its a rather nice character arc for him over the years. From the fresh out of jail, naive character in 1, to the pretty smart character who isn't falling for that crap in 6. There's a trio of those side stories in 6 that really highlight his difference.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Surprised digital pre-orders haven't gone up for Judgement next gen version on Xbox. Maybe a secret gamepass game?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
But aren't there spin offs? When should you include those?
Spinoffs dont affect the ongoing plot of the series. Also, most spinoffs dont even get released outside of Asia (both PSP games, Kenzan, Ishin). The only spinoffs that have actually been released outside of Asia are Yakuza Dead Souls (non canon zombie spinoff on PS3) and Judgment. Well, and FOTNS but that's another story.

Judgment technically takes place after Yakuza 6, so you could play it before Yakuza 7) but there's nothing to really tie them together main plot wise. You could play it right now and not lose anything plot wise, aside from a couple of jokes in side cases.

Dead Souls actually does benefit you from playing Yakuza 2 and 4 first - mainly 2, as its actually a pretty direct sequel to it believe it or not, that references events and characters in 2 quite a bit. But I'm guessing your just playing the games on PS4/PC/Xbox.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started Like a Dragon and the prologue's pacing is, like, actively bad. You spend an hour and a half dicking around for information that can be conveyed in five minutes, and then Ichiban's 18 year stint in prison lasts ten minutes and then he's off.

It's this level of really slow and plodding I'm unaccustomed to with Yakuza. Usually they start off pretty snappy.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Spinoffs dont affect the ongoing plot of the series. Also, most spinoffs dont even get released outside of Asia (both PSP games, Kenzan, Ishin). The only spinoffs that have actually been released outside of Asia are Yakuza Dead Souls (non canon zombie spinoff on PS3) and Judgment. Well, and FOTNS but that's another story.

Judgment technically takes place after Yakuza 6, so you could play it before Yakuza 7) but there's nothing to really tie them together main plot wise. You could play it right now and not lose anything plot wise, aside from a couple of jokes in side cases.

Dead Souls actually does benefit you from playing Yakuza 2 and 4 first - mainly 2, as its actually a pretty direct sequel to it believe it or not, that references events and characters in 2 quite a bit. But I'm guessing your just playing the games on PS4/PC/Xbox.
I just noticed, Taiga Saejima looks like Dave Bautista lol

I haven't played them but I don't think these matters when you play since they are spin offs.

Thanks, I'll just follow the mainline games for now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's true, i do remembering pre-ordering Yakuza like a dragon months before release but i guess that was an exception.
Yakuza 7 did have issues in certain (Asian) regions I believe - took forever to list on Steam (basically right up to release day) so there's that. But that was only for certain regions, with others listing it months in advance. I'll chalk it up (at least for now) with Sega just not knowing what they are doing (something proven time and time again!), but you never know, Judge Eyes could appear on Gamepass but I'd imagine we should know very soon if that's the case...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I vastly prefer Judge Eyes as a name as well. Though I suppose Judgment "makes more sense". Though... when you play the game, the Japanese title makes complete sense.
Then again, I've sorta disliked the naming conventions for the series from day 1. From picking "Yakuza" as the main title of the series (not exactly the best choice compared to the Japanese name), but I blame that on gritty 00s GTA sales chasing by Sega. I'm also sorta sour that they dropped the "7" from Yakuza 7. It gave people the rather silly notion that its a) not an actual sequel to the series (some still try insisting its a spinoff) and b) it gave people the strange thought that its a brand new start for the series. Which is strange considering a big part of 7's plot picks up where 5 leaves off basically, serving more as an epilogue to the last 15 odd years worth of plot. If any game is gonna be a reboot/new beginning for the series, its more likely going to be 8. Maybe. Or not. Who knows.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Yakuza 5 after ~80 hrs. Did all side stories/substories except few. Tried last substory but fuck that shit! Big one vs one battles are usually fun in the Yakuza but when enemy gets to have 10-20 health bars and also allowed to have weapon but you can't, it is not fun.

It was fun ride except Shinada part. Shinada arc felt completely meaningless in overall story. So far Shinda is least fun after Saejima. I only want Kiryu or Majima. Akiyama is awesome but he isn't yakuza. Don't know why he is getting dragged in Yakuza shit. LOL!

Regarding story, I know Yakuza series tries to do serious stuff in dumbest/fun way but it opens so many story holes. If Aizawa was final boss/bad guy what was he doing at underground coliseum? What was the point of interaction with Saejima? That interaction played no part in scheme except misleading player intentionally.

Also events from Y3 to Y5 happened in like 5-6 yrs. How the hell Kiryu and Saejima didn't know identity of Omi Aliance chairman? Tojo and Omi are portrayed as biggest yakuza organization in the country. Really hard to believe anyone who deals with Yakuza is completely clueless about chairman of Tojo and Omi. Saejima was in prison only for 2 yrs. So when he went in, Kurosawa would have been leading Omi.

I can still go for Y6 but now there are only 3 games left in the series for me: Y6, Judgement and Y:LAD. Don't want this ride to be over so will play some other games before jumping back in. Have been playing Yakuza series for last 3-4 months.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aight finally out of Kamurocho into Yokohama and the plot is now kicking into gear.

Ichiban kind of came off as a dumb prick for the first couple hours but I imagine as I the game opens up and get into the groove of Yakuza then I'm going to start liking him a lot more. I actually really like that he pulls off all the Kiryu shit with flashy jumping kicks only he stumbles and falls while doing them unlike Kiryu. The way I'm seeing Ichiban right now is that if he weren't the protagonist he'd just be some random mook Kiryu knocked flat while wandering the city, and that's pretty great after seven games of titanic crime legends.

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
Lol I'm literally about to begin doing this trophy, about 35 battles in as well. At least now on PC I can use a trainer that lets me speed up the game somewhat, still not excited about the grind though
Finally finished this trophy last night. What is funny - my highest level fighter is 75, so I'll have to spend my EXP to get him up to 99. More disappointing for me is the fact that I haven't managed to get enough money through grinding 100 victories in KC to acquire all skills.
Best thing I can recommend on those Kiryu Clan missions is either just go through the mode and replay the easiest mission (its over with quick), or just do like I did and really get into the online side of things as it was bizarrely fun to do matches against higher level teams (especially if you dont use the "cheat" characters. Its not a quick way of getting to 100 but it didn't feel like a grind either for me. Getting to max level on spear fishing though... (people should be very thankful that 6's 100% isn't a trophy requirement)
I've thought about online, but unfortunately I'm not a fun of this iteration of KC. So I just got Daigo via codes with huge mana boost skill from the get go and powered through it, while watching some Repentance streams. Now four more hostesses to go. I totally agree with previous posts, I don't like hostess minigames generally, but in Y6 it managed to be even more repetitive.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also events from Y3 to Y5 happened in like 5-6 yrs. How the hell Kiryu and Saejima didn't know identity of Omi Aliance chairman? Tojo and Omi are portrayed as biggest yakuza organization in the country. Really hard to believe anyone who deals with Yakuza is completely clueless about chairman of Tojo and Omi. Saejima was in prison only for 2 yrs. So when he went in, Kurosawa would have been leading Omi.

I may be misremembering, but since he was using a fake name then he could get away with it assuming neither Kiryu nor Saejima know what he looks like. We don't exactly get a good idea how much they're filled in on the state of the Omi between 4 and 5, after all. Then again, you'd think that Watase or some of his underlings might have spotted the terminally ill Omi Chairman wandering around Nagasugai and started asking questions.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Seems like I won't be able to max out skills to 300 naturally on Yakuza 6. I'm on chapter 10 now. What's the best method to earn exp?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like I won't be able to max out skills to 300 naturally on Yakuza 6. I'm on chapter 10 now. What's the best method to earn exp?
Buy the stuff at Rizap, fill inventory, consume. Repeat. That's in addition to doing side stories. Its probably the two best ways of getting the XP though it can be costly. So couple that with doing the 100 Kiryu Clan wins and repeat later missions which give decent payouts. Its not a particularly fun way of doing it, but Yakuza 6 doesnt have a particularly good way of leveling up!

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird playing a Yakuza game in a slow turn based rpg lol i keep thinking "i could clear this area in 20sec with action fighting". Im still early but i hope it picks up some speed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
20 seconds? That sounds like a slow fight based on later Yakuza's. Also, that's slow for 7 as well, seeing as Eri alone can clear fights in about... 3 seconds assuming one of her moves is hot key'ed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And that's just an example. There's a few moves that have wide AoE's that take out groups of enemies at once. If you want to end fights quick in 7, you most certainly can. Granted, that's one thing that EX Hard mode curtails since enemies get more health. Still possible to take out enemies before they attack though, when you know how!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
By chapter 4/5 you sure can. You get pretty darn overpowered, really quick and then it stays that way for most of the game aside from a handful of boss fights. Fights were so trivial, and ending so quick that I started using bad weapons/armor/accessories in order to make the fights last longer than a couple of seconds. There's one moment in 6 that might trip you up, but if you get a lightning attack (easy to get), you'll be on easy street until around chapter 12.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
But im on Chapter 3 lol i ain't saying it stays like this just that of right now, very early in the game with one party member or alone it's been slow. That first dungeon on Chapter 2 really sticked out to me on that. It's not even a criticism or anything, because rpgs take time to get going, it just an observation.

Also what i can say right now is Ichiban is awesome lol thats for sure.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza has a habbit of that. Creating some amazing music, then using the tracks a grand total of once :( Heck, even the Pachinko Kenzan game gets some rather nice Karaoke song style tunes...

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
For those that played it, how controversial was Kiryu's moveset changes in the Dragon Engine? Because it seems people have finally finished making sure his OG moveset is in both Kiwami 2 and now Yakuza 6. For the community to do this to both games that feature the moveset change, I wonder if it's because of nostalgia or a real dislike of something that's been changed here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For those that played it, how controversial was Kiryu's moveset changes in the Dragon Engine? Because it seems people have finally finished making sure his OG moveset is in both Kiwami 2 and now Yakuza 6. For the community to do this to both games that feature the moveset change, I wonder if it's because of nostalgia or a real dislike of something that's been changed here.
Its because 6's move set is bloody awful. Missing a ton of moves he had, missing tons of weapons, and the combat just feels worse on the whole. Compare Yakuza 5 Kiryu to 6. You go from top form Kiryu who is incredibly versatile and fun to use, to... whatever the heck 6 was supposed to be. Kiwami 2 didn't exactly do a terrific job of fixing things either. A couple of extra Komaki moves added, a couple of changes here and there... still not good enough even compared to how many moves Kiryu got in the PS2 version of 2. Doesn't help that they didn't fix his Tiger Drop either (still sucks, have to wait until Judge Eyes to fix that...)

If you want a good comparison of how basic 6's combat especially is - load up a 100% save of 6, and then a 100% save of 3. Notice how Yakuza 3 (the first modern PS3 Yakuza game, all new engine) gives Kiryu a ton of moves - all the Komaki moves, a whole load of fun grab based moves for downed enemies, heat moves from various states (fallen down, rolling, smoking, drunk etc.)
Now notice how you have none of that in 6 (first new engine game on the PS4). All those heat moves? Gone. The fun grabs on enemies from the ground that leads to a load of other moves? Gone. A good Tiger Drop? Gone...

Thankfully everything turned a big corner when Judge Eyes was released and really improved things in a huge way. Tons of new moves, heat moves, two stances, moves off of walls etc. Unlike the previous two DE games it added so much and even brought a host of heat moves back. Hopefully any further brawler game has at least as much effort and depth placed into its combat as JE did.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ichiban hallucinating enemies as scary monsters is the best joke at the expense of JRPGs I've ever seen a game pull.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza has a habbit of that. Creating some amazing music, then using the tracks a grand total of once :( Heck, even the Pachinko Kenzan game gets some rather nice Karaoke song style tunes...
It gets weirder when so much music get recycled so much to the point of being repetitive yet we get music that play in very specific and short sections.

I was listening to the soundtracks of the series and I found my self wondering "where did this play" because of that. I guess it is another one of those weird decisions like not having instant replay in some side activities or having characters say stuff for every action (this in particular frustrates me. Like why would the game ask me if I want to pick up this key or do something when I already pressed the button to pick it or do the action?)

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
I may be misremembering, but since he was using a fake name then he could get away with it assuming neither Kiryu nor Saejima know what he looks like. We don't exactly get a good idea how much they're filled in on the state of the Omi between 4 and 5, after all. Then again, you'd think that Watase or some of his underlings might have spotted the terminally ill Omi Chairman wandering around Nagasugai and started asking questions.
Saejima was very active in Tojo before going to prison for two years. Like that prison sentence was him paying price for crimes and be "free". He was about to be named captain of Tojo upon return. If he doesn't know identity of Omi chairman he doesn't even deserve to be Yakuza.

It is all fun regardless. Not gonna stop me from enjoying series. It is a crazy video game but still tries to tell serious emotional story that spans 7 games. Oh man, that New Serena rooftop conversation between Kiryu and Saejima during finale in Y5 was something.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, seems like someone is working on an english patch for Kurohyo 2 as well:
gbatemp.net

Kurohyō: Ryū ga Gotoku Shinshō (Yakuza Black Panther) Translation Project

Yeah, I'm just trying it out at the moment. If I knew how to I would work on the substories for the first game but unfortunately I have no idea how to...

And maybe even fix the first game's patch while translating the sub stories. Hopefully it happens as that would be perfect because I doubt RGG is going to bother to translate it at this point (maybe a remake can happen but having the original version in english is good because a remake might change things too much).

I gotta finish the first game. I believe I am near the end now. Only reason I haven't finished it yet is the crashes (running into some of the sub stories crashes the game for me and this happened a couple of times so I had to replay a few chunks of the game). Aside from that I love this game so much.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished up Yakuza 3, which happens to be the first game I've officially finished on Game Pass since having it for the past 5 months or so lol. I didn't particularly enjoy the combat (and to be honest I think I would enjoy these games a bit more as a whole if random encounters just weren't a thing in them), but I did find the last couple bosses more enjoyable than I thought they would be (was expecting a constant block fest by the bosses, but the fights actually felt faster paced than prior encounters, which was a welcome change in pace). Also appreciated that the game wasn't too long as I finished the main story and a decent chunk of substories in under 25 hours (considering every other game I play these days seems to be in the 80-100 hours+ range, I definitely welcome games on the shorter side like this).

I found the main story enjoyable enough, and some of the substories were cool as well. I liked how some of the substories felt more involved with multiple steps occurring in both Kamurocho and Okinawa. Also thought 'Murder at Café Alps' was particularly neat for giving off some Phoenix Wright vibes, and also just felt like a nice change of pace from the rest of the game. Though one of the things I liked about substories in 0 and Kiwami 2 was I found quite a few of them genuinely funny in those games, but I don't think I ran into too many that were like that in 3 (though admittedly I didn't do every substory in the game, so perhaps I missed some that better fit that bill).

Anyways, guess I'm finally halfway through the mainline games now after playing through 0-3. Though at the rate I'm going (started playing the series in 2018), they'll probably be at Yakuza 9 or so by the time I get to 7 lol. I just like taking some time off between games to avoid burning out on them, though I'd like to see about finishing 4 and maybe at least get started on 5 before the end of the year.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
4's a short game. If your not 100%ing it you can get through it fairly quick. Though as always, its a better game if you want to do everything (or at least, do all the training). 5's a gigantic game though, so yeah, dont rush into that one!

Glad to see Murder at Cafe Alps mentioned. Its one of the best side stories in the series, Ishin tries to capture that genius in a side story of its own but its nowhere near as good. I loved the Legends of Ryuuku, Tuna Fund and perfect ramen side stories in 3 as well.

As for random encounters. Fun fact, the first two games in the series (NOT Kiwamis) would turn off random encounters for almost all the game if you hit a certain XP cap/level in the games. I never liked it myself, especially in 2, because that game wants you to pull off so many heat moves that can only be done in random encounters (and doing heat moves is tied to fighting Amon in that game...)
Later games replaced that system for an equippable item from what I remember (though Im not sure, I go out of my way to do every random encounter possible in these games...)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As for random encounters. Fun fact, the first two games in the series (NOT Kiwamis) would turn off random encounters for almost all the game if you hit a certain XP cap/level in the games. I never liked it myself, especially in 2, because that game wants you to pull off so many heat moves that can only be done in random encounters (and doing heat moves is tied to fighting Amon in that game...)
Later games replaced that system for an equippable item from what I remember (though Im not sure, I go out of my way to do every random encounter possible in these games...)
I always thought a good way to evolve that system is to replace it with a "respect" system.

You go around town and people attack you and every time you destroy them a bar fills then they stop attacking you. Of course during the course of the game this bar does decrease again and you would have to beat some more of them to fill it back up. It would be a good way to satisfy those that want to destroy everyone that dares mess with you and at the same time make the random battles less annoying when you just want to do something like finish the completion list or a mini game. While Yakuza 6 and beyond had another viable system (just run away) it still feels less badass than destroying people and teaching them respect.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine your fear if you're the one Kiryu is saying this to

1388590_20210410165438_1.png

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Now that I have played Y0 to Y5, have one question for long time series fans.

Is there any interesting story about how Majima ended up as second lead in Y0? Was he really that popular before Y0? Did he become legend after Y0?

In Y1 and Y2, he plays part of side content. His role in Y3 to Y5 is nothing but guest appearance. Saejima (another character from same timeline as Majima) got big role to play in Y4/Y5. If creators wanted to add second lead in Y0, wouldn't Saejima more suitable back then given how much exposure Saejima had in Y4/Y5?

In the end, I'm SOOOO glad Majima is in Y0. I wouldn't have liked Y0 as much if Saejima was second lead. He is my second least character to play as after Shinada.

If Yakuza team makes more spin-offs in future, I want one with Majima as a lead.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Finally almost done with Y3. I started Chapter 12 this morning at about the 56 hour mark. I'll be wrapping the game up tonight and starting Y4.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I have played Y0 to Y5, have one question for long time series fans.

Is there any interesting story about how Majima ended up as second lead in Y0? Was he really that popular before Y0? Did he become legend after Y0?

In Y1 and Y2, he plays part of side content. His role in Y3 to Y5 is nothing but guest appearance. Saejima (another character from same timeline as Majima) got big role to play in Y4/Y5. If creators wanted to add second lead in Y0, wouldn't Saejima more suitable back then given how much exposure Saejima had in Y4/Y5?

In the end, I'm SOOOO glad Majima is in Y0. I wouldn't have liked Y0 as much if Saejima was second lead. He is my second least character to play as after Shinada.

If Yakuza team makes more spin-offs in future, I want one with Majima as a lead.
So, first off ignore that side content in 1 and 2. That's added for the remake. NOT the originals, so it isnt related to the choice at all. Majima in 1-5 was always that of a series regular - like Detective Date if you fought Date in every game lol.

In the first game, he's notable for being one of the few characters that lives. Likewise, the sequel uses him as a main plot point as someone that not only returns, but gets a decent amount of screen time and a kick ass boss fight. 3, carries on his role from 2 in terms of plot and also plays the part of one of Kiryu's "trusted" allies (not quite sure if he can be completely trusted, he might still want to kill Kiryu). Only reason they switched up his story in 4 and 5 was because they realised he gelled incredibly well with Saejima, and made for some cool character moments. You also forgot to include Dead Souls and Kenzan, both of which have Majima as a main support character (Kenzan, amazing character arc) and main playable character (Dead Souls, best playable Majima). Basically, he's a fan favourite.
Back around when Ishin was announced RGGS revealed the results of a character fan poll. Kiryu and Majima were the two clear winners, with Saejima, Akiyama being third and fourth. I forget the rest... This was basically the time when Majima overload started happening. He probably gets the most screentime in Ishin of all the Shinsengumi (but hey, he blows up the Emperors front door, who can't love that!).

0 shows up as a prequel, and Majima is a playable character. Fans were happy, makes sense as a choice. They teased his 80s role in 4. I disagree with how they handled his personality in 0 though. Too distant to how he is shown in any other game/flashback.

0 is very warmly received (in case if anyone wonders, Japan loves it as well, going by its placement in many polls as recent as this year). And Majima was part of that. So RGGS pushes it. We get stuck with a drastically nerfed Dragon fighting style that requires you to fight Majima over and over. And don't forget that several plot scenes also add more Majima. "Majima Anywhere" might be the truest marketing bullet point ever for a game.

Then Kiwami 2 comes along. And instead of remaking Host Club Adam or any of the other bits that got cut, we get Majima. Again. Majima mini game, pointless Majima fanservice chapter that was completely un needed. Basically its around the remakes especially that they shoehorned Majima in anyway they possibly could. And on reflecting the remakes, I dont quite like it. For every one good scene, there's at least two negatives - a grind, a half baked playable Majima chapter, partially recycled mini games shoehorned in for MTX's, whose only redeeming features is a song and more wrestlers from NJPW to fight (assuming you bother to meet them in the arena, as the mode is too cheap to give you proper fights as part of the storyline).

Thankfully somehow sanity prevailed and Majima was used far less in actual new games. His use in newer Yakuza's is thankfully kept to a minimum, and in 7's case this lead to one of the best moments in the game. Though he legit should have gotten more screentime in 6, a complaint that can be easily leveled for basically the entire main cast of returning characters in that game.

Also, Saejima is in jail during Yakuza 0. How (and why) would he have even been used? That makes no sense.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
4's a short game. If your not 100%ing it you can get through it fairly quick. Though as always, its a better game if you want to do everything (or at least, do all the training). 5's a gigantic game though, so yeah, dont rush into that one!

Glad to see Murder at Cafe Alps mentioned. Its one of the best side stories in the series, Ishin tries to capture that genius in a side story of its own but its nowhere near as good. I loved the Legends of Ryuuku, Tuna Fund and perfect ramen side stories in 3 as well.

Yeah I usually don't get close to 100%'ing these games, but in terms of optional content, I try to do as many as substories as I can (unless it involves doing side activity/minigame that doesn't personally interest me). I think so much of the charm of these games for me is in the substories (as well as certain side activities like the Cabaret Club), so I like taking the time to do them. I think that's also why I like to take a break between each game to 'reset' a bit. I think if I tried to play them all in quick succession, I'd probably start getting tempted to rush through the main stories so I can get to the next game.

Also, that's interesting about how they handled random encounters in earlier games. Personally I think I was ok with how they did them in 0 and the Kiwami games where they'd show up on the map and it wasn't too hard to outrun them if you wanted. In 3 it just felt whenever I'd see a thug/Yakuza type they'd already be right next to Kiryu and difficult to avoid. The fights are typically quite short so it isn't a huge issue, but I did wish at the very least the game had some internal cooldown on triggering random encounters so you didn't get into multiple encounters back-to-back at times.

I always thought a good way to evolve that system is to replace it with a "respect" system.

You go around town and people attack you and every time you destroy them a bar fills then they stop attacking you. Of course during the course of the game this bar does decrease again and you would have to beat some more of them to fill it back up. It would be a good way to satisfy those that want to destroy everyone that dares mess with you and at the same time make the random battles less annoying when you just want to do something like finish the completion list or a mini game. While Yakuza 6 and beyond had another viable system (just run away) it still feels less badass than destroying people and teaching them respect.

Yeah I wouldn't a mind a system like this. I also remember one of the games (0 I think) had an additional system where you would see thugs harrasing someone on the street and it would give you the option to intervene (thus starting a fight) or just ignoring it and walking away. I thought that was a good system to allow people to do more fights if they wanted that. Felt like the equivalent of certain JRPG's having 'visible enemies' to engage in battle on the map if desired, in lieu of random battles (not sure what the precise term is for that concept, but hopefully that makes some sense).

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
So, first off ignore that side content in 1 and 2. That's added for the remake. NOT the originals, so it isnt related to the choice at all. Majima in 1-5 was always that of a series regular - like Detective Date if you fought Date in every game lol.

In the first game, he's notable for being one of the few characters that lives. Likewise, the sequel uses him as a main plot point as someone that not only returns, but gets a decent amount of screen time and a kick ass boss fight. 3, carries on his role from 2 in terms of plot and also plays the part of one of Kiryu's "trusted" allies (not quite sure if he can be completely trusted, he might still want to kill Kiryu). Only reason they switched up his story in 4 and 5 was because they realised he gelled incredibly well with Saejima, and made for some cool character moments. You also forgot to include Dead Souls and Kenzan, both of which have Majima as a main support character (Kenzan, amazing character arc) and main playable character (Dead Souls, best playable Majima). Basically, he's a fan favourite.
Back around when Ishin was announced RGGS revealed the results of a character fan poll. Kiryu and Majima were the two clear winners, with Saejima, Akiyama being third and fourth. I forget the rest... This was basically the time when Majima overload started happening. He probably gets the most screentime in Ishin of all the Shinsengumi (but hey, he blows up the Emperors front door, who can't love that!).

0 shows up as a prequel, and Majima is a playable character. Fans were happy, makes sense as a choice. They teased his 80s role in 4. I disagree with how they handled his personality in 0 though. Too distant to how he is shown in any other game/flashback.

0 is very warmly received (in case if anyone wonders, Japan loves it as well, going by its placement in many polls as recent as this year). And Majima was part of that. So RGGS pushes it. We get stuck with a drastically nerfed Dragon fighting style that requires you to fight Majima over and over. And don't forget that several plot scenes also add more Majima. "Majima Anywhere" might be the truest marketing bullet point ever for a game.

Then Kiwami 2 comes along. And instead of remaking Host Club Adam or any of the other bits that got cut, we get Majima. Again. Majima mini game, pointless Majima fanservice chapter that was completely un needed. Basically its around the remakes especially that they shoehorned Majima in anyway they possibly could. And on reflecting the remakes, I dont quite like it. For every one good scene, there's at least two negatives - a grind, a half baked playable Majima chapter, partially recycled mini games shoehorned in for MTX's, whose only redeeming features is a song and more wrestlers from NJPW to fight (assuming you bother to meet them in the arena, as the mode is too cheap to give you proper fights as part of the storyline).

Thankfully somehow sanity prevailed and Majima was used far less in actual new games. His use in newer Yakuza's is thankfully kept to a minimum, and in 7's case this lead to one of the best moments in the game. Though he legit should have gotten more screentime in 6, a complaint that can be easily leveled for basically the entire main cast of returning characters in that game.

Also, Saejima is in jail during Yakuza 0. How (and why) would he have even been used? That makes no sense.

Thank you very much. Appreciate all info about series. I am usually avoiding searching on the web for more information fearing major story spoilers.

Now I'm interested in seeing how original Y1 and Y2 looked and played. Don't have access to originals so time to checkout someone else playing it on youtube.

Regarding Saejima being in jail during Yakuza 0, this series has made one thing clear: expect logical thing in story until it isn't. Saejima could have broken out of prison, do some crazy shit, and have returned to prison in the finale. Easy. LOL!