construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i really hope they increase the tourism fees and completely remove tax free on purchases. i don't know how significant of an impact it would have but the current situation isn't helpful

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
My bank doesn't do conversions, does anyone have experience with doing it through AAA (in Massachusetts if that matters. I can't find any fee info.)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'm playing persona 3 reloaded and its wild on the TV sometimes how it'll mention how the USD is high (or low I forget lol) at 116 yen to the dollar

i lived in japan in the 90s briefly and I remember it was like 100 yen to the dollar crazy difference in 30 years

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
i'm playing persona 3 reloaded and its wild on the TV sometimes how it'll mention how the USD is high (or low I forget lol) at 116 yen to the dollar

i lived in japan in the 90s briefly and I remember it was like 100 yen to the dollar crazy difference in 30 years
Yeah, back then the simple conversion was to just remove the two zeros from the yen for the dollar equivalent and three zeros from the SK Won. That was so ingrained in me that I was freaking out when I went to Japan recently.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I remember importing some merch from Japan back in '08 and the exchange rate vs EUR was almost near identical to the currency we had before EUR, it made comparing prices very easy. Went to buy some more four years later in 2012 and the prices had nearly doubled, and now it's back down to the same rate as it was in '08. What an absolute roller coaster.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Yeah, back then the simple conversion was to just remove the two zeros from the yen for the dollar equivalent and three zeros from the SK Won. That was so ingrained in me that I was freaking out when I went to Japan recently.
I'm pretty sure that's like the easiest rule of thumb for conversion. It is still used in recent games where in-game JPY and WON to USD conversions are used to this day.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
My bank doesn't do conversions, does anyone have experience with doing it through AAA (in Massachusetts if that matters. I can't find any fee info.)
Will this help?

northeast.aaa.com

Foreign Currency | AAA Northeast

AAA has over 70 types of foreign currency available for purchase before you travel so you’ll be prepared for taxis, tips, and souvenir shopping.

I'm not familiar with AAA, as I used TD Bank.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's like the easiest rule of thumb for conversion. It is still used in recent games where in-game JPY and WON to USD conversions are used to this day.
Gotcha! Feels good knowing I'm not too far out of touch lol.

Edit: I use TD Bank and if you find a bigger main branch they most likely do currency exchanges same day. You'll need an account to utilize the service though. I recently did a conversion and while the current exchange was at 64 they were give 68-9 and a once time fee of $7.50. It's way better than cash exchanges from forex at the airport and tourist spots but around 7% higher than what you'd get from using your card in that country.

Last edited:

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Will this help?

northeast.aaa.com

Foreign Currency | AAA Northeast

AAA has over 70 types of foreign currency available for purchase before you travel so you’ll be prepared for taxis, tips, and souvenir shopping.

I'm not familiar with AAA, as I used TD Bank.
I was already on their website, it only mentions a fee to ship, never gets into whether they charge a conversion fee in general. Might just use the advantage of a half day to stop by the local office and check this Friday.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Edit: I use TD Bank and if you find a bigger main branch they most likely do currency exchanges same day. You'll need an account to utilize the service though. I recently did a conversion and while the current exchange was at 64 they were give 68-9 and a once time fee of $7.50. It's way better than cash exchanges from forex at the airport and tourist spots but around 7% higher than what you'd get from using your card in that country.

Wait! TD Bank charges 7% higher + a one-time fee of $7.50 for the cash, than what would normally be if done with a foreign credit card + currency exchange fee in Japan?

My currency exchange fee is 3% of the amount used. Now, I'm wondering if I should keep using my credit card or still stick with TD Bank and use the wholesale cash exchange.... 🤔

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
i really hope they increase the tourism fees and completely remove tax free on purchases. i don't know how significant of an impact it would have but the current situation isn't helpful

Yeah. I really hope they can help their citizens because they seem to be hurting right now.

If folks want to take advantage to vacation there, they should pay the price to help the folks who live there.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Wait! TD Bank charges 7% higher + a one-time fee of $7.50 for the cash, than what would normally be if done with a foreign credit card + currency exchange fee in Japan?

My currency exchange fee is 3% of the amount used. Now, I'm wondering if I should keep using my credit card or still stick with TD Bank and use the wholesale cash exchange.... 🤔
It depends. The fee will always be there but sometimes the difference was closer to 5%. I was just there and cash was still king and allowed me to haggle at certain shops as well. I'll be going back in Oct so it could go up it could go down but at least I can hedge against going up and if it goes down buy more at a steeper discount while not touching my card limits for higher tier purchases like watches or more watches. It also helps me save money for the trip in a roundabout way because I'm impulsive as fuck. At the end of the day Japan is still a G7 nation so I have doubts the yen will just freefall and with BoJ indicating intervention while pushing for higher wages they're really trying to right the ship. Japan had a very late start opening up for tourism but now that it's in full swing with the weakened yen I see more upward potential.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the recent movement is Dollar Milkshake even after the BoJ intervention... DXY has been flirting with an upward trend again.

1 USD = 157 yen New
OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
We're back!

3Go3k8q.png

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I was in Japan on my honeymoon when it stumbled.

so much wagyu.
I should have bought more clothes :\