• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who would you like to make KOTOR 3?

• Obsidian

Votes: 242 59.0%
  • Larian Studios

Votes: 66 16.1%
  • Bioware

Votes: 41 10.0%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 26 6.3%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Someone else (please specify)

Votes: 23 5.6%

• Total voters

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR is one of my favourite game series of all time. The lack of a KOTOR 3 makes me deeply sad. I know that there is a much rumoured remake being made but as far as I'm aware this is not a full KOTOR 3.

So, hypothetical: you are the big boss person at Disney / whoever is in charge of such things. You have a big budget and can approach any game developer to make the dream KOTOR 3. Who would you pick?

My personal vote goes to BioWare but specifically the team behind The Old Republic. SWTOR has had some of the best Star Wars stories ever. No jokes: the Star Wars stories in SWTOR are legit.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Obsidian ideally, but if that wouldn't work out then Spiders.

EDIT: A Monolith Soft KotoR would be fascinating but the story and art would probably be a big tonal shift from the previous ones.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
A reminder to people voting Obsidian outright; you're hiring the Obsidian Entertainment behind Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Grounded, and The Outer Worlds, not KOTOR II.

I voted Larian simply since they haven't not delivered yet since their D:OS glow-up.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I want every IP in the form of divinity original sin 2.

My biggest knock against divinity is that i don't care all that much about the lore. The gameplay, mechanics, questing and just overall experience is incredible though.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's all theoretical, but I'd seriously go with Aspyr. They have some seriously skilled devs on their team right now, and they know KotOR and the "BioWare RPG" style all too well. It's no wonder they're apparently making the next KotOR.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I want to say Larian or Obsidian but I have not played any of their recent games. Larian haven't done a third person game yet?

Dec 12, 2017
From that list? Obsidian. Larian can do the remasters for the first two. Obsidian has at least proven they are willing to try new things and break molds they are comfortable with. they also have the Xbox infrastructure supporting them

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
None of these companies, in their current forms, really jump out at me.

I'd honestly want to hand it to the creators of Disco Elysium or something. I'd want someone who could write something interesting.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually going to go with a dark horse option and say Tactical Adventures. With Solasta, they've proven they can work within an established framework without having to reinvent the wheel too much, made a really good system for handling player made character personalities with party banter that I think would fit really well into what KotOR does, and them taking on KotOR wouldn't seemingly have to compete with a bunch of other projects.

Failing that, Larian is obviously a good option given they're already doing Baldurs Gate.

I don't think Obsidian really has it in them anymore, nor do they seem particularly interested in revisiting that space anyway.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian I guess but at this point KOTOR 3 will never happen because it's been too long and rather than doing a third one they told it in that Revan novel (which was awful) and SWTOR. Makes much more sense to reboot it which is what the rumours seem to indicate.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, KOTOR 3 should be available on all platforms, so, from this list, Bioware and Larian would be the most capable of creating a worthwhile successor. Aspyr's also a fairly promising possibility, which makes their rumored involvement quite exciting.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
You say this like it's a bad thing...

Seriously, was that post supposed to sound like a bad thing?

People are more likely to assume that the brand name 20 years later = the quality and people behind what a 2023-2024 KOTOR III would look like.

It's like saying you would want Bioware to take over the third one since they made the first, excellent game in the series without, you know, knowing who's still at the company and what they've done to almost every RPG franchise since KOTOR.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Obsidian, but I've hired the people from Square that did FF7R's battle system and they're just putting that in it.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Modern day Obsidian? No. A lot of what made KotOR 2 great was the writing and I don't think I need to say anymore about that...

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Obsidian as the main development team, but with consultative support from Bioware.

Imagine how hype a reveal trailer would be for a KotOR 3 with both of the original developers on the project in some capacity.

A new KotOR done right would be the equivalent of Final Fantasy 7: Remake for older Xbox/WRPG fans.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Japanese studios, I'd love to see what a team at Square lead by Yoshi-P could do with it.

Or Yoko Taro. That would be hilarious.

Team Cherry on a WRPG would be incredible.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Square Enix Business Division 1 (behind FF7R) with Jennifer Corbett, Paul Dini, and Dave Faloni writing… Ludwig Goransson as composer.

I have issues with FF7R, but love how Midgar was represented. Would love a SW game with that detail and battle system.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
People are more likely to assume that the brand name 20 years later = the quality and people behind what a 2023-2024 KOTOR III would look like.

It's like saying you would want Bioware to take over the third one since they made the first, excellent game in the series without, you know, knowing who's still at the company and what they've done to almost every RPG franchise since KOTOR.
I have more faith in the Obsidian that exists now than the one that made Kotor 2 tbh(not to say I have/had little faith in old Obsidian, just that I trust them more with each release).

Dec 5, 2017
A reminder to people voting Obsidian outright; you're hiring the Obsidian Entertainment behind Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Grounded, and The Outer Worlds, not KOTOR II.

I voted Larian simply since they haven't not delivered yet since their D:OS glow-up.
Pillars 2 is one of the greatest rpgs ever made though. I wouldn't trust Larian with a game where writing matters however.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like Obsidian is the obvious answer. I'd honestly rather Inxile than Bioware too, and I don't want to see a turn based KOTOR from Larian. I'm already disappointed enough that Baldur's Gate 3 went that route.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I'd be interseted to see if BioWare of 2021 could still make a game like Kotor. I guess we will kind of find out when the new Mass Effect comes out.

I'd like to see inXile give it a go.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
My first choice would have been Obsidian, but since they are owned by Microsoft -> BioWare.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think Bioware fit best of those listed. Cinematic presentation mixed with RPG choices is important to KotOR.

Frankly I think the other option would be CD Project Red, since they picked up a lot of the style that Bioware started with KotOR, but I'd rather stay away from them.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the breakdown on this is going to be 1) The people who say Obsidian and 2) The people who want to say Obsidian but are Playstation console gamers.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I feel like the breakdown on this is going to be 1) The people who say Obsidian and 2) The people who want to say Obsidian but are Playstation console gamers.
Accurate, although its odd since a kotor game has never been on playstation so a new one being xbox and pc exclusive wouldn't really change anything lmao

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
Respawn is an option, Jedi Fallen Order isn't too far away from an RPG anyway. You'd think that having an engine and assets and writing a decent story is easier than hiring the best story people and hope they also make a decent game, but who knows.

The downside is that EA looms over a graveyard of failed and botched franchises.....

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Square Enix Business Division 1 (behind FF7R) with Jennifer Corbett, Paul Dini, and Dave Faloni writing… Ludwig Goransson as composer.

I have issues with FF7R, but love how Midgar was represented. Would love a SW game with that detail and battle system.
This just seems like it would be a drastically different RPG though, so at that point why have it be KotOR?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, they seem all pretty talented. Not sure I would want turn based again though.

I would hope Lucasarts would allow it but considering they are doing that Old Republic or whatever it is, they might feel like it's their ground now.