• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video is amazing.

As someone who studied a lot of entertainment law in Law School this scam is very very interesting to me on how he structured it but on a base level fuck this guy for scamming talented people.

Always always read a contract and consult a lawyer if your not sure what a contract means… it will almost always save you money in the long term.

youtu.be

How A New York Times Reporter Scammed Hundreds of Musicians

If you were contacted by Ian or Synesthesia, do me a solid and fill this short form out! https://forms.gle/d2CAtWSZHNpehgyB6- Update/Correction: Found the no...

the video does get a bit wonky if you don't know what sync, master, etc licenses are just fyi

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna dive in, but this needs a TL: DR cliff note
I put one in this thread :)
www.resetera.com

How A NYTimes Reporter Collects Royalties From Hundreds of Musicians | Benn Jordan Entertainment

20-minute video. Wild stuff... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk872ERRVxA tl;dw - NYT journalist contacted hundreds of musicians, praising their work, telling them he wanted to collaborate on a soundtrack for his new book. However, the contracts are written such that the musicians -- doing...

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I put one in this thread :)
www.resetera.com

How A NYTimes Reporter Collects Royalties From Hundreds of Musicians | Benn Jordan Entertainment

20-minute video. Wild stuff... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk872ERRVxA tl;dw - NYT journalist contacted hundreds of musicians, praising their work, telling them he wanted to collaborate on a soundtrack for his new book. However, the contracts are written such that the musicians -- doing...

idk how I missed this. sorry!

mods can lock

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Benn Jordan as in The Flashbulb? Whoa. He's one of the best around. Didn't expect him!

edit: okay, watched the video. This is such an obvious scam that I'm glad Benn is exposing.

Last edited:

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to update the Wikipedia page for Ian Urbina showing this scam. Pretty sure Ian himself wrote the entry for Outlaw Ocean Music Project and Synesthesia Media.

What a piece of shit.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
There's a lot of frustrated musicians and creators on youtube that complain about being demonitized because people make unfounded copyright claims. It's become a regular scam. Of course youtube does nothing, and going to court over copyrights is expensive and frustrating.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.