• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i was just thinking this morning how wild it is that theres barely any snow outside even tho its winter rite now. we used to get a ton of snow now it doesnt look much different from fall

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Shame humanity can't get its shit together. Deflection of blame and denial don't work against pandemics and catastrophic ecosystem changes.

Worse: there is no vaccine against global warming, or coastal and island destruction, or species and forest extinction, or ocean acidification, or desertification, or civil war, or famine, or genocide.

Cool cool cool

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
I guess we just have to accept fact that future will be bit of a nightmare to live in :(

Damn, you'd think Covid would have at least temporarily reversed the trend.
I think any progress that is going to be made won't actually show up until decades later. Even if we manage to cut dramatically our emissions our planet will still get warmer. It will just be better in the future. At least that's how I have understood the issue.

i was just thinking this morning how wild it is that theres barely any snow outside even tho its winter rite now. we used to get a ton of snow now it doesnt look much different from fall
Same here. We used to get lasting snow early november, some times even in october. These days there won't be lasting snow until mid january if even then.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Compared to the average person in the US that likes to travel and do shit, I have a bare minimum footprint, especially now during Covid.

I have no clue what I am even able to do as an individual that's pretty environmentally conscious.

The biggest issue I believe, is the fact that corporations are overproducing everything. Literally everything.

We need to produce less, meaning fuck all the trinkets and version 7 of the new console (part of my soul dies when I see gaming cheering for console sales), we need to end planned obsolescence and the endless torrent of new product.

Even electric car companies have convinced people that they 'need' an electric car to change the environment, but really, we, meaning all countries, need fixed public transit infrastructure.

My guess is that the damage is done and there's not much we can do but frantically pick up the scraps. Even when doing that, things are getting worse.

Don't even get me started on all of the underreported oil spills lol

This rest of this century is going to be some WILD shit. Pandemic is going to be a small blemish in history compared to what comes next.

I'm really worried about the water crisis that's looming. You know things are bad when investors start eying water resource indexes on the stock market.

Just rambling, but these are the little anxieties I have, and I'm a little convinced that they're at least justified.

Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I easily believe it. This winter has been so freakishly warm, it's gd January and I'm still occasionally overheating. There's only been maybe, like, one or two instances so far where I can recall being actually cold this year. Which is really wild because I'm really sensitive to the cold and usually winter is pure, huddled under a blanket 24/7 suffering. Last winter here wasn't quite this warm, but I still recall it being warmer than usual, too.

This shit gives me such background anxiety cuz nothing I can do will stop it and too many people just don't care.

Deleted member 82064

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Compared to the average person in the US that likes to travel and do shit, I have a bare minimum footprint, especially now during Covid.

I have no clue what I am even able to do as an individual that's pretty environmentally conscious.

The biggest issue I believe, is the fact that corporations are overproducing everything. Literally everything.

We need to produce less, meaning fuck all the trinkets and version 7 of the new console (part of my soul dies when I see gaming cheering for console sales), we need to end planned obsolescence and the endless torrent of new product.

Even electric car companies have convinced people that they 'need' an electric car to change the environment, but really, we, meaning all countries, need fixed public transit infrastructure.

My guess is that the damage is done and there's not much we can do but frantically pick up the scraps. Even when doing that, things are getting worse.

Don't even get me started on all of the underreported oil spills lol

This rest of this century is going to be some WILD shit. Pandemic is going to be a small blemish in history compared to what comes next.

I'm really worried about the water crisis that's looming. You know things are bad when investors start eying water resource indexes on the stock market.

Just rambling, but these are the little anxieties I have, and I'm a little convinced that they're at least justified.
Yes, our insane desire to consume will destroy us. I'm also afraid that we have been blinded by technological solutions, from green energy to nuclear/fusion. We trust there is solution that is clean and we don't need to alter our way of life, but I just don't believe that. We keep trusting manna will drop from heaven eventually.

Not to mention the separate issue of our dwindling natural resources and the damage we do to our planet in order to get them.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
2021 is gonna crush. In Toronto there haven't been many days that didn't go below freezing in December and January.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
We got work to do. Hopefully with Biden they will take climate change seriously. We're already behind in that front, we just need to try to stop it from getting worse in a hurry.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Any changes are gonna take time to reflect. I️ think emissions and what not were down this year, but that won't effect anything for awhile (or at all since it's just gonna be a temporary thing)

Correct, there is a lag with the effects of carbon emissions. Either way, the reductions in the past year would merely be a blip on the radar.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, you'd think Covid would have at least temporarily reversed the trend.
That's not how the climate works. It's big, long-lasting changes. Even if we stopped ALL greenhouse gas emissions TODAY, climate change would still continue (for decades onwards) with the "momentum" it has gathered. It's a self-feeding cycle at this point that we can try to hold back as much as possible (which, lol, we aren't doing anything to do so) or we can just keep pushing it into worse & worse territory with our inaction.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Doom posts are general dumb defeatist junk, but this is the one subject I can feel confident in saying: we are doomed.

Climate change is completely fixable, just not for our society. The amount of radical long term change needed will never, ever happen in my opinion. You basically have to kill the free market, which won't happen.

Maybe when entire states and countries start going underwater, it will become a popular enough political point to start making the changes needed to the market to kill over production and consumption.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_lwsooepaom1r8yy5to1_500.gif

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not going to try to do something about this until it gets really bad, I mean really really bad. And by then it'll be too late.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
This despite the fact that 2020 also had the lowest carbon emissions due to the pandemic.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
This despite the fact that 2020 also had the lowest carbon emissions due to the pandemic.

That wouldn't have had much of an impact at all, if any. There is a lag time associated with carbon emissions.

earth.org

The Time Lag of Climate Change | Earth.Org

One of the issues regarding climate change is that there is a significant time lag between action and effect, lulling us into a fake sense of complacency.

Status
Not open for further replies.