• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Real life Flash here. I can't even imagine keeping that pace for 2 hours. Mad props.

Eliud Kipchoge ran a marathon in 1 hour, 59 minutes, 40 seconds, becoming the first person to break two hours for 26.2 miles in a special event in Vienna on Saturday morning.

"It has taken 65 years for a human being to make history in sport after Roger Bannister," Kipchoge said, noting the Brit who became the first man to break 4 minutes for a mile in 1954. "I can tell people that no human is limited. I expect more people all over the world to run under two hours after today."

He pointed to both sides of the crowd, slapped his chest twice as he crossed under the finish banner. He found the arms of his wife, Grace, watching him finish a marathon in person for the first time, and children. Then he moved onto his career-long coach, 1992 Olympic 3000m steeplechase silver medalist Patrick Sang.

Pacers included a Who's Who of distance runners, from Olympic 1500m champion Matthew Centrowitz to five-time Olympian Bernard Lagat, who is 44 years old.

Kipchoge ran 2:00:25 in his previous sub-two attempt on a Formula One track in Monza, Italy. He holds the world record of 2:01:39, set at the 2018 Berlin Marathon.

"Berlin is running and breaking a world record," Kipchoge said before the event. "Vienna is running and making history in this world, like the first man to go the moon."

NBCSN airs an exclusive replay of the Ineos 1:59 Challenge on Sunday from 3-5:30 p.m. ET and Monday at 2:30 p.m.

Source:

Status
Not open for further replies.