• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we need to get Jason Schreier on the case here? This is far worse than the Mass Effect Andromeda debacle where they actually managed to launch a game in five years. Rocksteady was unable to create even a realtime cinematic for this, and likely had a CG trailer house make this trailer for them. So technically, after five years, the studio has yet to show anything they have been working on. Geoff Keighley already confirmed that this was a CG trailer on twitter and Rocksteady has yet to deny it. We are approaching Anthem levels of red flags here with a 7 year dev cycle; a traditionally single player studio trying to make a coop game while promising that their narrative will not take a hit. (If Anthem is any indication, it will)

Jason seemed to know the name of this game going back a few years when he denied it was superman. So it's been in dev for a while. How can you not produce a gameplay vertical slice after working on something for 5 years? For reference, Arkham Knight was released in 3.5 years. Arkham City 2 years. Is it because they are moving away from their wheelhouse by working on new online coop elements? Not to mention designing the entire game around it. (forget about puzzles and elaborate weapon focused dungeons btw) Or did this game just start dev a year or so ago after some other game got cancelled mid development?

lol....This just showed up in my YouTube suggestions and then I saw this thread.

yep. this is a huge part of why the game wasnt received so well. Had they shown an amazing gameplay demo with next gen visuals (Whatever they are, who knows at this point), destruction, physics and sick combat, people wouldve been far more impressed.

Last edited:

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they had a game that was canceled.

But yeah, these companies need to get there shit together.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Game development is hard lol
Also pretty sure they likely had a project scrapped.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not having any kind of gameplay shown was really disappointing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're trying to tie the press cycle of this game in with the new Suicide Squad movie, so I would expect them to be doing more of a slow roll than an instant blowout.

They probably want the new movie to do a lot of the legwork for promoting the game, in the same way that The Dark Knight (2008) really helped get people hyped for Arkham Asylum (2009).

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Weren't they working on a Superman game that was canned? Or was that just a pitch? Either way, Suicide Squad: KTJL hasn't been in active development for 5 years.

Feb 23, 2019
Probably a cancelled project, maybe Superman.

The length of time since their last release is really concerning. Suicide Squad may be a make or break game for them as a studio, much in the same way God of War reboot was for SSM after a failed project

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think the timeline would look like this:

Arkham Knight -> Mid 2015
Arkham Knight DLC -> Late 2015
Arkham VR -> Late 2016
(2017: Concept explorations. Superman doesn't get off the ground. Suicide Squad adopted)

Rumours had Suicide Squad targeting late 2021. Push that back 3-6 months considering lockdowns / work restrictions for a 2022 date.

So 4 years for Suicide Squad. Gameplay will probably be shown a year out from release (mid 2021?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
AegonSnake

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol....This just showed up in my YouTube suggestions and then I saw this thread.

yep. this is a huge part of why the game wasnt received so well. Had they shown an amazing gameplay demo with next gen visuals (Whatever they are, who knows at this point), destruction, physics and sick combat, people wouldve been far more impressed.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Game development is not a smooth process as a lot of people think. Projects get cancelled and/or rebooted all the time and this is on top of the increase in development time it takes to make a modern AAA game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As much as i want to believe its not, this tweet has been up for over 12 hours and has not been corrected.

I dunno I could easily see PS5/XSX reaching that level of fidelity. It didn't look outside the realm of possibility that that was in-engine.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Video games take time and the game isn't even out until 2022 and I doubt it will even be Q1 2022. We will see gameplay next year with HUD elements and stuff I am sure.

Chill.

There is a lot going on at Rocksteady though, I will agree to that.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow these's motherfuckers at rocksteady need to crunch harder

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go, another round of baseless speculation and gamers creating game development drama based on very little fact.

Let's just wait and see?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You've not been around for many first-time-reveals of high profile games, have you? This is normal? (Not good or desirable but completely normal)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever they were originally working on got canned so clearly they haven't had as much time to work on this new project.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Here we go, another round of baseless speculation and gamers creating game development drama based on very little fact.

Let's just wait and see?
Impossible. I must know every little detail because game development is always smooth and perfect, isn't it? Only a CG trailer? Get detective Schreier on the case, there's probably been a murder.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That trailer was good tho and it got me hyped up pretty good. So idk... maybe it's a you thing? Game will be shown next summer I'm sure.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perplexing that I've seen this "not CG" sentiment quite a few times already. It is CG, and if it wasn't it would've been stated as much, that's how this works.

More annoying is they felt the need to officially announce it when it's still such a long time out, considering more and more publishers announce games close to their release dates. That's really what annoyed me the most about the reveal. You're already working with characters that, you know, don't exactly generate the same amount of hype as Batman. You've got Superman in there, but you don't play as him (as far as we know), and then yeah, it's all CG. 🥱

And it's not like everyone didn't know what it was already, no pressure anyway.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Do we need to get Jason Schreier on the case here? This is far worse than the Mass Effect Andromeda debacle where they actually managed to launch a game in five years.

If Andromeda had had another two years in the oven, it probably would've been a better received game.

. We are approaching Anthem levels of red flags here with a 7 year dev cycle; a traditionally single player studio trying to make a coop game while promising that their narrative will not take a hit. (If Anthem is any indication, it will)

Ya'll keep mentioning Anthem in relation to these games, not understanding that the primary failing of Anthem isn't "there isn't enough of a story", but rather the game doesn't work. It doesn't even do the thing it's supposed to do. No other GaaS game can ever be Anthem without doing that. Constant crashes, loot that flat out doesn't work, and a roadmap not even adhered to.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
We are in the middle of a pandemic, every single dev working on this has been working from home for many months already, the game has a release date of 2022. What about showing some understanding of the situation? Covid affecting game dev will only become even more obvious in 2021, maybe it's time to get used to it.

Gotham Knights did show some pre-alpha gameplay. which was basically completely created working-from-home, yet there are people out there who only focus on it looking not polished.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
Ironic you want to call for Schreier to investigate the horrible malfeasance of *checks notes* a AAA video game taking a long time to make, when if you had read the rather deep and incisive book he actually wrote about the topic of game development, you would know that game development is really friggin hard and it's a small miracle when any game ever ships on time, let alone manages to be something that lives to the expectations of crazy fans.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really gross to effectively suggest having a Journalist investigate a company strictly because they didn't give you a gameplay trailer when you wanted it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Open World AAA TPS game with a complete new set of character + new engine switch being developed by a studio of less than 250 people.

Welcome to game development in the year 2020.

Avengers is taking 4 years and 4 studios are workng on the game.

4 S T U D I O S

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You've not been around for many first-time-reveals of high profile games, have you? This is normal? (Not good or desirable but completely normal)

It's not though considering the game doesn't come out til 2022. It would be normal if it were released say 3 years ago. But, 5 years and the only thing you can show is a CG trailer for a game 2 years out, well then clearly there was development trouble.

And as we know from Jason, it does appear their original project got canned and then rebooted thus explaining the oddity of a CG trailer this late.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by some reactions from my friends about Gotham Knights how they thought it looked buggy and framerate was bad when i clearly stated to them it was pre alpha. I totally get why devs are scared of showing gameplay or ingame stuff early.

Status
Not open for further replies.