• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/26/us/girl-scout-cookies-south-carolina-man-cold-trnd/index.html

dk4200647xi21.jpg

It was a chilly winter night in Greenville, South Carolina and Emerson and Maya were on Girl Scout duty selling cookies outside a store.
At one point, a man approached the stand and bought seven boxes of cookies worth $40, and told them to keep the change, according to cookie manager Kayla Dillard.
Then, he went back to the table and said: "Pack up all of your cookies. I'm taking them all so y'all can get out of this cold," Dillard said in a Facebook post. He spent $540 on cookies, she said.

"What an amazing soul. It was about 34 degrees outside that night and we were there for about two hours already before he came," Dillard told CNN.
"We all were shocked. The girls were very excited and thankful."
Dillard said she does not know the good Samaritan. But his act of kindness surely earned him a place in the girls' hearts for a long time.

As a Girl Scout Dad, this guy is a hero. I've done booths with my daughter in the freezing cold - people will walk by and the Girls will cheerfully ask "Would you like some Girl Scout Cookies?" And so many people are just rude, give dirty looks, etc. When you see someone so kind and polite-it's heartwarming. Even if they aren't buying but they come up and talk about how they used to sell Girl Scout Cookies as a kid, it's always nice.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017

I feel so bad for you lol.

Im always polite and nice, and buy cookies when i can, typically i just give them cash for no cookies, but 90% of the time im like omg please dont talk to me i just want my sandwich from this wawa and its fucking freezing.

ive always thought "the girls and that dad hate this much more than me" though

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a nice dude. I think it's hilarious how much taller he is than the girls and has to stand/crouch to make the picture work.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Hate to be a downer but thats not exactly a great life lesson and completely defeats the purpose of the Girl Scouts selling those cookies.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Girl Scout cookies are delicious. If I had the money I would buy all the cases off of the Girl Scout that is selling them if I could. Good on that guy.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I feel so bad for you lol.

Im always polite and nice, and buy cookies when i can, typically i just give them cash for no cookies, but 90% of the time im like omg please dont talk to me i just want my sandwich from this wawa and its fucking freezing.

ive always thought "the girls and that dad hate this much more than me" though

It's complicated. It is a major hassle to pack up, unpack, setup all the cookies, keep track, order more, etc-and then it takes up all your free time. My wife is the Troop Cookie Manager- she manages the entire troops inventory and money for the cookie season-I have barely seen her at all since January. It's a full time job plus.

But on the other hand-the girls learn so much, bond and really develop confidence. My daughter has gone from being completely shy and almost anti-social to basically a really impressive showman and comedian. She makes little jokes with the customers and it's really fascinating to see how her confidence has grown.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Hate to be a downer but thats not exactly a great life lesson and completely defeats the purpose of the Girl Scouts selling those cookies.

You are a downer... they most assuredly picked up that good people are out in the world. That's a good enough lesson.

Think that's fine... sure they also picked up that they had to put in the work out there - regardless of how long they were really there.

clayfu

Jan 29, 2019
They always get me. 6-7 years ago a Girl Scout and her mom knocked on my door to sell cookies. She told me she was so close to meeting her goal. I asked how many more?

She looked at her mom and her mom sheepishly said "45 boxes"

I appreciated that the girl was going around knocking on doors instead of having her parents do the leg work or sitting outside a market with her friends. So I became the proud owner of 50 Girl Scout cookie boxes.

Felt like Oprah the next day at work.

YOU GET A GIRL SCOUT COOKIE BOX. YOU GET A GIRL SCOUT COOKIE BOX.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I mean why do we have kids selling shit out in the cold to begin with

Girl Scout Cookie season is always only one time per year-the actual start date/end date is dependent on the region-but for the most part-it's always February of every year. I agree-it sucks that they do it in the winter season.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
You are a downer... they most assuredly picked up that good people are out in the world. That's a good enough lesson.

Think that's fine... sure they also picked up that they had to put in the work out there - regardless of how long they were really there.
Lol I know I am. It is a nice story for sure don't get me wrong.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dumb feel good story. They should be outside waking around and getting the exercise. No one is going to just pay you not to work. Does this money at least go to a charity?

Oct 25, 2017
Nice gesture but since when does South Carolina get cold lol? I was stationed there for 2 years...never got cold...hot af though? YES!​

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This guy is amazing but can we also not have kids out in the cold selling cookies? They don't even have hats on.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Team Samoas.

All other flavors are drink coasters 'cept mint.

Samoas and Thin Mints are by far the two most popular kinds. I don't care for them personally-I don't like mint flavor or coconut texture. I'm more of a Tagalongs/Dosido man myself.

Also-I just asked my wife why Cookie season is always in the cold season-and she's sure there's an official reason, like to make sure the chocalate cookies don't melt in hot garages, etc. -but she's not sure.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Samoas and Thin Mints are by far the two most popular kinds. I don't care for them personally-I don't like mint flavor or coconut texture. I'm more of a Tagalongs/Dosido man myself.

Also-I just asked my wife why Cookie season is always in the cold season-and she's sure there's an official reason, like to make sure the chocalate cookies don't melt in hot garages, etc. -but she's not sure.
Most organized activities are concurrent with the school year I believe? Makes sense to do this in the lull between all the holidays and what not.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Shame on the parents for not keeping their kids warm. If you're even going to do this then make sure they're bundled up appropriately or even bring a space heater. Embarrassing.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb feel good story. They should be outside waking around and getting the exercise. No one is going to just pay you not to work. Does this money at least go to a charity?

Not sure if serious?

The Scouts have only certain designated areas where they are allowed to sell. The stores have to approve it and then they provide certain shifts that GS can sell there. Then all the local troops have to basically have a lottery to determine who gets what booth/shift.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As a Girl Scout Dad, this guy is a hero. I've done booths with my daughter in the freezing cold - people will walk by and the Girls will cheerfully ask "Would you like some Girl Scout Cookies?" And so many people are just rude, give dirty looks, etc. When you see someone so kind and polite-it's heartwarming. Even if they aren't buying but they come up and talk about how they used to sell Girl Scout Cookies as a kid, it's always nice.
People don't like sales pitches out of nowhere and might be resentful a bunch of kids are out in the cold at the behest of adults trying to sell things, I can't blame people for letting their annoyance come through, especially if they are having a bad day. People just want to get their groceries and get out. Obviously people should not take that too far and say anything mean to the kids or whatever, they are just doing the work for their troop.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Shame on the parents for not keeping their kids warm. If you're even going to do this then make sure they're bundled up appropriately or even bring a space heater. Embarrassing.

Again-more misinformation. As a parent, I always bring a coat and hat for my daughter to make sure she wears it-but if the kids decide they're too hot, they will take them off for a bit.

Don't be so judgmental when you don't have experience.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Girl Scouts have it made. When I was in Beavers/Cubs; the Canadian equivalent of Boy Scouts, we had to sell apples in the cold.

Do you think somebody would roll up and buy a barrel of apples? Nope. Girl Scouts have the mint product, no pun intended lol.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man how cold could it be in Greenville South Carolina this time of year?

Come to fucking Michigan a few weeks ago and watch them girls sell in a polar vortex.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Again-more misinformation. As a parent, I always bring a coat and hat for my daughter to make sure she wears it-but if the kids decide they're too hot, they will take them off for a bit.

Don't be so judgmental when you don't have experience.

Not specific to you. The children look underdressed for the weather from the link.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Man how cold could it be in Greenville South Carolina this time of year?

Come to fucking Michigan a few weeks ago and watch them girls sell in a polar vortex.
Is this cold-temperature gatekeeping? haha 34 degrees is still chilly, especially down there! I've been told people from Florida or CA will put on sweaters when it's 60 degrees, they probably aren't used to it.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Era members come in and buy all the cookies except dosidos and be like good luck have fun in the cold learning some life lessons

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
what the hell is this post?
34F is still plenty cold, especially if you're standing in one spot for hours. There's no need to compare lol

LOL I love how defensive people from the Northern states get about their monopoly on cold weather.

The other morning, my car door was frozen shut, and I'm in SoCal. Welcome to climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.