• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

Only this tweet as source, but I don't see a reason why someone would lie about this. Holy shit.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
AAA industry at work. What did folks at Bioware call it? Bioware Magic! Followed by Stress casualty.

Time to unionize to avoid tragedies including extreme losses like this.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the actual fuck. Literally getting to the point of unionize or die.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100 hours a week! Sometimes I work little less than 60 hours a week, and that feels like hell.

100 hours seems impossible.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? How the hell would they possibly be able to cover this up? You'd think somebody there would have sent some some anonymous tip to a journalist or something o.O

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm pretty ashamed to support an industry that allows this to happen. Dying at a desk because of work overload is just disgusting of these huge studios and publishers

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to default to believing this is untrue.

We're going to need more evidence/proof than this one Tweet.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean crunch is terrible but unless we know what actually caused his death attributing it to overwork seems premature.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible. Crunch is horrible, and should disappear.

RIP

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
If that's true, at least it won't be for nothing. There's no a union isn't formed or some new safety regulations aren't put in place as a direct result of this. Unfortunate that it had to get to this point.

I mean crunch is terrible but unless we know what actually caused his death attributing it to overwork seems premature.

Also a fair point. If it's a direct result of crunch or an aggravation of a pre-existing condition due to it, it will hopefully spark change.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't we wait on more information on this? It's just a tweet. Y'all don't think this would've came out YEARS ago?.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like... Not figuratively?

Someone actually died finishing a video game??

Hopefully, we're just another step closer to the business unionizing. It's desperately overdue.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why the hell was crunch needed for this game? It's an awful practice to begin with, but the game come out in April (not in the busy fall release window that typically involves heavy crunch).

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
People dying at their desk happens. It could have just been from natural causes instead of work conditions.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
This has been a known quantity in Japanese work culture for years so it's unfortunately not surprising that it would creep into American industries.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
As horrible as this is, we don't know for sure that this person died "at their desk" or if it was because of crunch of unrelated.

Regardless, it's sad and folks should unionize, but it's easy to read a thread title and jump into conclusions because the emotional weight of what is alleged.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane if true, but even if it isn't, the entire story is mad stuff. Every day working until midnight or later with barely any overtime pays if at all, with literally mandated crunches for years at a time. This industry is fucking rotten.

OP
OP

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
There's the possibility that it was unrelated to crunch, but still, the whole thread is reallllly fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.