• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
www.forbes.com

A New Covid Variant On The Loose: B.1.621

Despite not having the official label of Variant of Interest or Concern, it should be noted that B.1.621 has certain characteristics that suggest it may be worth watching, as it could become a variant of interest or concern in the near future.

A group of seven residents in a Belgian nursing home died after infection with a new variant, all of whom were fully vaccinated according to virologists on the scene. Though the vaccine used in these residents was not made public, it was likely either AstraZeneca or an mRNA vaccine such as Pfizer and Moderna, among those most frequently used in the country.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
only a matter of time. if its not that variant, another will soon follow (that will sidestep the vaccine).

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Nursing home residents dying sucks (as does any death form COVID), but I wouldn't panic just yet if you're not elderly. Old folks dying to COVID, even if vaccinated, isn't necessarily a new thing.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, yeah, COVID is here to stay. Hope you're all ready because this is the rest of our lives. I'm moving to New Zealand.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not at the point of worrying about up and coming variants. There's a lot of COVID out there and statistical anomalies happen. Most of the most dire predictions about previous variants have been bunk-- Delta is about twice as contagious as the original, but most other extreme statements about it are on much dodgier grounds.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I should prob giving up on dating, settling down, having kids, etc. if this virus is gonna keep on fucking up life.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
4b74f1e72dee69110fbb3f261b9fa9e7.png

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Delta variant already has a higher percentage of getting people with the vaccine sick from what I can see. Totally just anecdotal evidence on that but I know three vaccinated people who got sick from COVID in the past month and none that got sick prior to Delta taking over. Not surprised further variants will be even stronger.

I know some people don't want to admit it because of how much of a struggle it's been to get some people vaccinated, but we need to go back to social distancing and masks.

Oct 27, 2017
The variant already accounts for around 2% of coronavirus infections in the United States, and as much as 10% in Miami, according to Carlos Migoya, CEO of Jackson Health System. The variant can be traced back to identification in samples from Colombia in March 2021 and according to the GISAID coronavirus database, the variant has been identified in as many as 28 countries, but potentially more.
It's already too late for USA

Argos7

Nov 20, 2020
I'll wait for more people that aren't already on the edge of death to die from it before I panic.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the doomposts. I think it's irresponsible in case people are reading who suffer from severe depression or anxiety. In my view, wait and see. It wouldn't be the first time some posters have called the vaccine being defeated.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Nursing home residents dying sucks (as does any death form COVID), but I wouldn't panic just yet if you're not elderly. Old folks dying to COVID, even if vaccinated, isn't necessarily a new thing.
It is depressing that the elderly get bundled together in care facilities like that. It obviously makes sense to provide the services. But with nurses and other workers going in and out of the building daily, some of whom may be anti-vaccine, elderly are sitting ducks.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Delta variant already has a higher percentage of getting people with the vaccine sick from what I can see. Totally just anecdotal evidence on that but I know three vaccinated people who got sick from COVID in the past month and none that got sick prior to Delta taking over. Not surprised further variants will be even stronger.

I know some people don't want to admit it because of how much of a struggle it's been to get some people vaccinated, but we need to go back to social distancing and masks.
Yep- my wife's boss- 66 and his wife, both vaccinated had Covid 2 weeks ago. Other attorney at their firm who is 39 and vaccinated just got it on Friday. Terrified my wife and I in our 30's will now get it-
Both of us are vaccinated!

We have our Aruba trip next month too.. FFS

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017

I can also imagine vaccinated people getting sick because they assume they're "safe" now and start ignoring all the recommendations they paid attention to pre-vaccine.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Not to sound insensitive but unless there are people under 65 who are fully vaccinated dying, I'm not going to worry to much about this. People that old are extremely vulnerable to everything.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Noted. Hopefully this one won't be more deadly than what we're dealing with now but we should montior and prepare for it regardless.
We shouldn't event spread news like this. Only gives ammo for antivaxxers.
I wouldn't worry about them too much. They already have all the "ammo" they need and its not like experts were trying to hide the fact that there wouldn't be more potent variants.

Capt_Shanu

Oct 27, 2017
Thought for sure this was going to come out of Alberta. Now I'm worried that Alberta will be the place that makes it worse.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know. My area is clocking about 300-400 new cases a day and our total amount of delta variant cases is less than 120. OG COVID still going strong.

Oct 26, 2017

The problem with these kinds of comments is that the WHO complains but has yet to provide a viable solution to the issue of vaccine distribution. Complaining about booster shots won't change the issue of vaccine distribution, especially when the inherent problem is the requirement of buying vaccines. Unless Pfizer, and Moderna agree to publicize the instruction set for their mRNA vaccines and open it up to be produced by other people (which will likely never happen with IP laws and capitalism, and potentially safety concerns if a company decides to cheap out on mRNA components).

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
We shouldn't even spread news like this.
You aren't serious, right? I recall people saying similar things about B.1.617.2 (Delta) when news of that first started surfacing earlier in the year which is now becoming the most dominant strain worldwide.

No good will come if we bury our heads in the sand.

Last edited:

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, so it's best to live your life as best you can instead of constantly listening to fear mongering.

Pray tell what part of the message the poster you quoted is fear mongering? What he stated is simply a fact, COVID will very likely be a part of our lives going forward because of how fast it mutates.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rapidly getting to the point where i'm running out of fucks to give.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I still keep my mask on even after being vaccinated.
Enough nice people out there ripping of their masks and telling us "I did my part".

also now we should try to get the vaccine into poor countries and what not.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The article points out this is 10% of infections in Miami..

7 people dying in the same nursing home is tragic, but seems like a huge outlier for a variant that has been known about for 4 months and has yet to be listed as a concern by any health orgs.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This variant has been around for months now and is already in the states. It's not a new thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.