• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tweet seemed harmless enough to David Karpf. The associate professor of media and public affairs at George Washington University took a story that bedbugs had infested the New York Times newsroom as an occasion to dig at his least favorite Times writer, the conservative columnist Bret Stephens.

"The bedbugs are a metaphor," Karpf wrote Monday. "The bedbugs are Bret Stephens."

The tweet got nine likes and zero retweets, Karpf said. So the professor was surprised when an email from Stephens popped a few hours later.

Then, he noticed his provost at GWU was copied on the email. And Stephens was furious.

"I'm often amazed about the things supposedly decent people are prepared to say about other people — people they've never met — on Twitter. I think you've set a new standard," Stephens wrote. "I would welcome the opportunity for you to come to my home, meet my wife and kids, talk to us for a few minutes, and then call me a 'bedbug' to my face. That would take some genuine courage and intellectual integrity on your part."

Sauce

Lock if bedbug

Status
Not open for further replies.