• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I think this thread will be closed because its relation to CP2077 (also, I think this is not new? I feel I've been seeing this the entire past week, I don't know if there was a thread), but I think it touches a very interesting subject in QA teams and how they work.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
This is what you get for outsourcing QA. Do it inside if its possible and I'm sure you're capable of it CDPR

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it doesn't really matter if there were issues with another company they used. In the end, it's the execs that signed off on the product for release. (And the claim itself is a bit dubious too)

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
a) A thread on this topic was made earlier and closed because of the source (a Forbes contributor article), but b) this thread should also be closed because all CP2077 news goes in the OT and not in its own thread and c) some poor QA firm gets thrown under the bus yet again. Zero chance CDPR was all "whoops! We released it like THAT? Wow, news to us!"

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly so fucking bullshit.

1. In big AAA products there are more than one QA contractor working on the game, this mf here is telling me that not only Quantic Labs lied but also all QA contractors?

2. CDPR at the end of the day is the one who should be supervising the state of the game and it would be pretty fucking obvious if Quantic Labs waa lying.

This has been going around my QA circle and literally everybody agrees it's pure bullshit.

Source: Me, someone who worked in a QA contractor company for AAA games.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
not sure why other thread was locked simply because of it being a Forbes contributor article

Paul Tassi isn't some random

but yeah there isn't much info to go on here
No Cyberpunks 2077 threads allowed. Want to talk about the game, go to the OT. Those are the rules here in ERA.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's more to the twitter thread, just open it if you wish to see.

QA are already very harassed whenever a buggy game comes out, fuck this "whistleblower"

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be the right person to ask my next questions:

1- How much does it cost to have an internal QA department?
2- Does the big studios double check after outsourcing QA?

1. A lot. It's literally a department with hundreds of testers. Many studios prefer to just outsource it.

2. Of course. QA outsourcing is always working side by side with studios to align the priorities of bugs and what areas should be tested and what not. Also literally all bug reports go to (or SHOULD go to) the Studio JIRA, they have 100% access to all bugs written.

I know you didn't ask me but I'm answering anyway since I worked on a QA contractor for AAA games.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Almost all of them, and not just QA but art, animation, audio, etc etc. It's the done thing.

Yea, big organisations also have centralised teams not only for QA, but also for 3D art, 2D art, animation, audio, localisation, and so on.

So, let's say a AAA studio comes out and says that they've had 200 people working on the game, they usually exclude mentioning that they probably had another few hundred people at least working on the game from the centralised teams. :)

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Please please please consider the source. They're problematic AT BEST.

NvfPfhL.png

I'd go as far as to say they're gamergate adjacent

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
1. A lot. It's literally a department with hundreds of testers. Many studios prefer to just outsource it.

2. Of course. QA outsourcing is always working side by side with studios to align the priorities of bugs and what areas should be tested and what not. Also literally all bug reports go to (or SHOULD go to) the Studio JIRA, they have 100% access to all bugs written.

I know you didn't ask me but I'm answering anyway since I worked on a QA contractor for AAA games.
A lot to the point massive studios can't afford it? Or they consider it not worth it?

And for the second point CDPR are bullshitting then. If the outsourcing work side by side then how it is possible for the outsourced QA to lie to them?

Feel free to answer even if I didn't ask you. I'll take more knowledge thank you

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
A lot to the point massive studios can't afford it? Or they consider it not worth it?

And for the second point CDPR are bullshitting then. If the outsourcing work side by side then how it is possible for the outsourced QA to lie to them?

Feel free to answer even if I didn't ask you. I'll take more knowledge thank you

Blaming outsourced QA is typically deflection done by a game studio in order to take the heat off themselves. As mentioned earlier, every game in existence these days uses both internal and external QA teams, for big projects some studios even employ multiple QA teams.

A AAA game I worked on had easily over 250 QA people work on it at various points from my company alone and there were two other external QA houses on the project plus internal developer QA and internal publisher QA.

QA require diverse skillsets and diverse environment checks plus it's always a numbers game.

Even if this external QA company did a horrible job, CDPR is still managing the project and responsible for fixing the bugs that were getting reported, plus they undoubtedly had other QA teams on it.

It's not like an external team is handed a game build and then left alone either, as a Senior or Lead on QA projects I was in constant contact (including morning and evening check ups) with project managers from the developer and publisher side.

External QA is sometimes so granularly managed by Developers and Publishers that they request certain testers at an external QA company be brought on or taken off the project, for whatever reason they choose. In addition to that, external QA companies have KPIs to hit weekly, monthly, quarterly on every project involving bugs written, their severity, dupe rate, bug writing quality, areas of focus and more.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017

I also work in the industry. You usually have a small set of test leads and a central QA team but you outsource the bulk of it so you can scale up and down as needed. You tend to use external teams you are partners with that you've worked with for many years and trust, you don't usually give things to a brand new partner just like that. If they're a new partner, you embed yourself in their team for a while and manage more closely until you're comfortable and even then there are plenty of processes in place and gates in place to smooth out the test cycles.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Blaming outsourced QA is typically deflection done by a game studio in order to take the heat off themselves. As mentioned earlier, every game in existence these days uses both internal and external QA teams, for big projects some studios even employ multiple QA teams.

A AAA game I worked on had easily over 250 QA people work on it at various points from my company alone and there were two other external QA houses on the project plus internal developer QA and internal publisher QA.

QA require diverse skillsets and diverse environment checks plus it's always a numbers game.

Even if this external QA company did a horrible job, CDPR is still managing the project and responsible for fixing the bugs that were getting reported, plus they undoubtedly had other QA teams on it.

It's not like an external team is handed a game build and then left alone either, as a Senior or Lead on QA projects I was in constant contact (including morning and evening check ups) with project managers from the developer and publisher side.
I can't imagine how stressful this can get! CDPR wants to bullshit their way out of it then
Just suck it up and say you fucked up. People are not stupid especially when people like you knows what goes in there and how it works

Appreciate your time and the info. Thank you very much :)

I also work in the industry. You usually have a small set of test leads and a central QA team but you outsource the bulk of it so you can scale up and down as needed. You tend to use external teams you are partners with that you've worked with for many years and trust, you don't usually give things to a brand new partner just like that. If they're a new partner, you embed yourself in their team for a while and manage more closely until you're comfortable and even then there are plenty of processes in place and gates in place to smooth out the test cycles.

This just proves it even more. CDPR throwing the blame on the outsourced QA! Even if they did really lie its still isn't fair to let them take the whole responsibility of this fuckery since you GOT TO BE IN THERE TOO and monitor whats going on

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have enough experience in the gaming industry to answer this with 100% certainty (I worked for only 4 months as a QA), but I would think it's the former. Normally it's not worth it unless you have an QA team under your banner like Blizzard does with Raven. But take this answer with a grain of salt.

Exactly. During my 4 months stint on a contractor, management was pretty bad and they made me go around to 3 different AAA projects and ALL of them we had direct contact with the studios through our QA leads and supervisors. Also this thread here:

Basically confirms it.

For AAA games the workflow is like this (generally):

QA Contractors write bug reports > An internal QA department of the studio (normally like 5-10 peoples) screens the bug report > The bug report is sent to the developers.

The tweet confirms that CDPR had internal QA screening so they definitely knew about the state of the game, and also the devs knew if you see the twitter thread.

This article is just pure bullshit and is harmful for QA, they get enough shit as it is. I've been seeing a lot of people upset about this report in my QA circle during my stint as an QA.

Status
Not open for further replies.