• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
What's the point? By this point 99% of people of already brought the console and wouldn't the games be far better and push the new platform?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even understand the question why put out a game when the population is near its highest point? See GTA V or Last of Us.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I don't even understand the question why put out a game when the population is near its highest point? See GTA V or Last of Us.

So they do it to sell the most because of the big install base.

That's an interesting decision.

Make a game for the last year of current gen and benefit from the big installbase.

Or use that talent to wow and push the new gen.

Option 1 is probably the safer option

But option 2 would increase the chances for greater success with the new platform launch.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Companies like to make money , thats kinda their main focus .

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

Make a game for the last year of current gen and benefit from the big installbase.

But option 2 would increase the chances for greater success with the new platform launch.
New platform launch is meaning less and less these days though. They don't make a ton of money off console sales and with backwards compatibility, cross gen games, and services like XBL, PSN, Game Pass and PS Now they have plenty of revenue streams whether or not someone decides to upgrade

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
More sales from the established install base

Good will and confidence from customers that system support continues from the full duration and the old system isn't instantly dropped as soon as the next thing is in development. Withholding a game designed for a current system to try and artificially force people into buying new hardware isn't the kind of anti-consumer message anyone should be sending out at the start of a generation.

New console production can be slow and constrained so dropping a massive seller probably has negligible short term benefits if the system is sold out anyway.

BC and re-releases will mean the game is playable on the new system at some point anyway and can even benefit from double dippers.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
New platform launch is meaning less and less these days though. They don't make a ton of money off console sales and with backwards compatibility, cross gen games, and services like XBL, PSN, Game Pass and PS Now they have plenty of revenue streams whether or not someone decides to upgrade

??

But exclusives are one of the main reasons people buy consoles. So the more exclusives the better.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
More sales from the established install base

Good will and confidence from customers that system support continues from the full duration and the old system isn't instantly dropped as soon as the next thing is in development. Withholding a game designed for a current system to try and artificially force people into buying new hardware isn't the kind of anti-consumer message anyone should be sending out at the start of a generation.

New console production can be slow and constrained so dropping a massive seller probably has negligible short term benefits if the system is sold out anyway.

BC and re-releases will mean the game is playable on the new system at some point anyway and can even benefit from double dippers.

Yeah, I get what your saying.

For me personally, I'd rather they did TLOU2 exclusively for the PS5, I'm mean I'm getting a ps5 anyway, and I can wait a bit longer.
The game would be so much better for it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah they should just stop supporting the platform for a whole year and treat their customers like a bunch of suckers.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
For me personally, I'd rather they did TLOU2 exclusively for the PS5, I'm mean I'm getting a ps5 anyway, and I can wait a bit longer.
Thing is, most people don't buy the new system year 1, so the sales will be far worse. Let's use some examples:

-God of War 2: Easy, the Ps3 at launch was expensive, and the Ps2 install base was crazy
-TP and BotW: Nintendo released the two versions, so the fans that played the games on the older systems were happy, and the improved versions helped to sell the new systems
-TLOU 1: The Ps4 version was released a year after the Ps3 version, so they both sold a lot of Ps3 copies and a lot of Ps4 copies. I think they will do this with TLOU 2

So yeah, your "99%" doesn't make any fucking sense, maybe for dedicated gamers, but as lots of consoles are bought by parents to their sons or as a present, when the system is cheaper, lots of people waits for revisions or price drops/bundles... it doesn't make any sense to release the bigger games on a new system with a smaller install base, less now that most big games are re-released sooner or later. Also, as most console units are purchased by non-dedicated gamers, having a big title year 1 is not going to help that much compared to a price drop.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
What's the point? By this point 99% of people of already brought the console and wouldn't the games be far better and push the new platform?
Letting your business languish in the last year before your next console launches is the best way to let your competitors build mindshare and make you look weak. It also builds up unreasonable expectations among your faithful audience for when the new console launches.

See: Nintendo every generation after the SNES

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
because the next systems are mostly compatible. this is the first time in console gaming companies don't have to not sell to a huge installed base.

this should yield mature, refined games that can also be played on whatever is next

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

AAA games are not only made to sell consoles, they are also made to sell well themselves. ;) An install base of 100 million consoles will make pretty much sure of that.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Do you think developers are purposefully targeting the "last year of the gen" with their PS4 games? They aren't and it's not even the last year PS4 will be available for purchase. That is just how long it's taking to make the games they want to make.

Why would they scrap a game that they've made to target a current gen console just cause you think it would make a stronger case for the next gen launch? The actual game would not be better for it because they'd be shifting gears halfway through the process. At best you get better resolution and higher quality assets which will be happening on PS5 anyway with enhancement patches.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
A lot of people won't buy next gen in the first year.

And you can sell it twice later because a lot of people would be waiting for the next gen remaster.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Believe me, 99% of people don't buy the new console on release. How many did Ps4 sell in the first year? 13-14 Million? Let's say that PS5 does the same... That leaves 86-87 Million PS4 consoles out there. It'd be a bit dumb to skip them.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe just maybe think of the people who can't afford next gen until years later?

If a game is going to be made for PS4 then it shouldn't get cancelled because it would be better next gen. Backwards compability exists, use that.

More money, more people who can play it. They gain that.

Oct 26, 2017
Not a lot of people are going to buy the new consoles at launch, more so if they are priced at $500.

And you can make an ultra duper 4K edition one year later on new consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
So you are proposing they just hold the game for 8 or 9 months? Doesn't seem like smart business. There will be next-gen updates for all of these late gen games regardless.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I'm starting to realise that this happen for lots of practical reasons like dev environment of next gen console not even being ready.

It must be really hard starting a new gen for the platform holders.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
It's just anoying when a really good game comes right at the end of gen and it does not seems as good because the new hotness is the next gen consoles.

But that's life I guess.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any one that buys TLOU2 on PS4 will have to buy it again PS5. It will be no different from a pro patch. I guess you would rather have no big games after September of this year like Xbox is doing?
It was a joke. Because it happened alot last gen. GTA V for example. I love to see games coming all the time. Generations are going away.
Not sure what Xbox has to do with and september. Xbox has alot of games coming next year wich is great.

Oct 31, 2017

What would make it so much better ? It would still be the same game running better at the end of the day.

And most people don't buy a console day one: I still don't own a PS4 as it's too expensive :P

Oct 25, 2017
It was a joke. Because it happened alot last gen. GTA V for example. I love to see games coming all the time. Generations are going away.
Not sure what Xbox has to do with and september. Xbox has alot of games coming next year wich is great.

I meant AAA games. I mentioned Xbox because they seem to be playing out the generation with no blockbusters for the last year. Be it by choice or circumstance. Those kind of gaps aren't fun.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Some games do get swallowed by this, sadly. Gran Turismo 6 and Puppeteer come to mind.

Oct 30, 2017
For the companies because they want to make as much money as possible.

For customers because they want to get out as much as possible from the consoles the bought and invested in.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I meant AAA games. I mentioned Xbox because they seen to be playing out the generation with no blockbusters for last year. Be it by choice or circumstance. Those kind of gaps aren't fun.
Guess its just timing. I think Ori will review better then alot of AAA games tho. Good games are good games. Doesnt matter to me alot what kind of label it as.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a PS4 on launch day because the track record of the PS3.
The lack support for the Xbox 360 left a bitter taste on me.

I guess the strategy works.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
You must like posting in negative threads then..
No actually people posting here and telling you why there is a reason they still release games even in the last year of a gen is quite beautiful to witness. Because well LOGIC.

Nobody should have to tell you that just because a next gen platform arrives suddenly the previous one disappears into oblivion. What even is this thread?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not everyone is going to jump into a new platform in the beginning, and if you start treating your already big and established fanbase on the old platform as second class 1+ years before the new platform is even out, they may not even want to buy the new platform.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it entices people to buy next gen by showing how good the support and exclusives are for current gen even in it's final year.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea, why support your fanbase with games throughout the entirety of a consoles life cycle, especially towards the end when the install base is at its greatest...they should just stop supporting the console early instead. /s

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Depends on the situation. Sony will have more than 100 million potential customers for Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2. Nintendo basically had to do a dual launch with Zelda because the Wii U audience was so small. Plus as others have stated they can double dip in the new gen.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
No actually people posting here and telling you why there is a reason they still release games even in the last year of a gen is quite beautiful to witness. Because well LOGIC.

Nobody should have to tell you that just because a next gen platform arrives suddenly the previous one disappears into oblivion. What even is this thread?

Its a thread that you feel is worth your time.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

Option 2 in no way would improve the chances of success. I don't know if you're being purposely obtuse or if you genuinely don't understand how things work.

The PS4 has sold 91.6 million units as of last month. In it's first year, it sold 4.49 million. You have a potential install base that is 20.4 times larger in 2019 than it was at the end of the first year of the PS4 being on the market. It makes no sense that you'd reach greater success being a launch title than an end of the generation title.

Also, as other people have pointed out, cross gen sales will also improve your sales numbers.

There is absolutely no scenario in which being a launch title is more beneficial (from a potential sales perspective) than coming in at the end of a generation, especially in an era when there is going to be cross gen compatibility and inevitable remasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.