• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
You'll very likely recognize Lia from the older React channel videos. She has long since departed that scene and made an attempt at becoming an actress. It's fair to say though that things...aren't going well for her as you can see here:

Watching her I realized she is really not far off the exact sort of mental breakdown that Etika suffered. She also freely admits she is on drugs. She says it's just weed and booze but from her behavior I think it might be a bit more than that. Regardless she clearly needs help before she does something really bad to herself.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unable to watch the video right now but will take your word for it. Hopefully this community is more supportive than last time.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is something that affects many people. We should be concerned about mental health in general. It's just that people who are more visible due to celebrity have more people notice when they're facing issues, obviously. If anything, it's easier for people to notice that they need help. I'm more concerned about those who don't have anyone to look out for them and don't know where to turn.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we're going to sadly see a lot of this. A lot of late teens/early 20's folks chasing clout and having an inflated ego as a result of their taste of success and chasing it further, more desperately. I just hope we can catch as many of these fall from graces and get these people some help, love and support. Before it becomes an epidemic, and people are made aware because it keeps happening. :/

Take care of yourselves, and even if you see someone making a dry joke about self-harm, suicide or about their mental health. Reach out. Please.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're going to sadly see a lot of this. A lot of late teens/early 20's folks chasing clout and having an inflated ego as a result of their taste of success and chasing it further, more desperately. I just hope we can catch as many of these fall from graces and get these people some help, love and support. Before it becomes an epidemic, and people are made aware because it keeps happening. :/

Take care of yourselves, and even if you see someone making a dry joke about self-harm, suicide or about their mental health. Reach out. Please.
Honestly this is a similar type of scenario as all those child actors that had breakdowns when they got older, although its even worse because when you have internet fame it can disappear in an instant and you have no career options

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure this is the kind of forum where we should be predicting internet figures' mental breakdowns. It just feels uncomfortable.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
We should be concerned about making our system take mental health issues more seriously, overall.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not sure this is the kind of forum where we should be predicting internet figures' mental breakdowns. It just feels uncomfortable.

I think its a side-effect of mental health being stigmatized for so long. Its uncomfortable to talk about largely because we don't have the mental health infrastructure to actually reliably help these people.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think social media is helping these folks, sadly. It may be making it worse.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think its a side-effect of mental health being stigmatized for so long. Its uncomfortable to talk about largely because we don't have the mental health infrastructure to actually reliably help these people.

Right. That's true. But the other reason it makes me feel uncomfortable is that we can't do anything about it, so sitting on the sidelines pointing at people and going "that one, that's the next one who's going to fall apart" feels...really callous and kind of sociopathic to me, even if it does come from a place of empathy.

We don't actually know other people's struggles or how they deal with them or what their support systems look like off camera, so I just don't see the benefit in trying to "call" who's going to be the next one to have a breakdown.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wow I remember her from React, seems so different now.

If she is having mental issues I hope she can get help and get out of the situation that put her there.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But the ResetEra forum is it? As sad as it is an internet forum is not the appropriate place to discuss the wellbeing of internet celebrities and spear head their mental health care.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
While we should all take mental health seriously, making threads just to speculate on the mental health of popular streamers is not something we should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.