• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Conversations I've had with people are "Now Ubisoft is changing their mentality big time." Now it's all about [how] you have to pitch your game as being super unique, having some unique aspect to it. It all sounds really wild. It's this really crazy atmosphere.
  • Gods and Monsters had a very tight deadline. The team working on it was most of the team behind AC Odyssey which came out in late 2018. Schreier had heard people at E3 talk about how it was shaping up to be pretty messy.
  • Watch Dogs Legion was originally planned to release this fall but was pushed back to March. The cause for this delay is probably just because the main system is really complex.
Reddit
Ubisoft formula started to get really boring after years of incremental changes. This's what they need right now even if it's gonna take years to see the results.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
People loved the finally version of Wildlands and Breakpoint is a giant step back in almost every aspect. For me Wildlands was just fun so I was excited to try the beta of Breakpoint. It literally made me nauseous due to the really weird camera angle. Add to that boring vehicles, boring shooting, boring missions, boring story... it just wasn't fun. I'd rather just replay Wildlands honestly.

TLDR - make a sub-par game, get sub-par sales

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"Okay.... in our game you are the cat on board of a pirate space ship and the story takes place during the second galactic war"
"we do love the unique aspect of it, but can we make it open world and add some towers and collectibles?"
"umm... we kinda thought it would be a linear narrative, pretty story-driven"
"we would like to underline our appreciation for the uniqueness... you said something about pirates?"
"*sigh... we'll just make Black Flag 2..."

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The OP doesn't reflect that the source is Jason Schreier talking in the Kotaku SplitScreen podcast, which adds weight to the rumour.

In any event, it's the right call. One of the trends Ubisoft needs to counter is that the same mechanics are bleeding into every game. They can't differentiate on theming alone.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that sudden of a turnaround?

3exfgd.jpg

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can someone explain to me how during a gen where studios are releasing fewer games and taking longer to make them, this studio convinced Ubisoft and their customers they made a worthwhile new entry in 2 years?

I honestly thought Breakpoint was a DLC. Had no idea it was a full game allegedly.

Seems like theY made it crazy fast after Wildlands.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Great. They're perfectly capable of making good games. They just need to get back on the right track.

Oct 24, 2019
Great. They're perfectly capable of making good games. They just need to get back on the right track.

you say that as if they haven't been. Since 2017 alone we've gotten AC Origins, South Park 2, Mario+Rabbids, Far Cry 5, AC Odyssey, and Division 2, which have all been excellent. They've been far more good than bad lately

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
you say that as if they haven't been. Since 2017 alone we've gotten AC Origins, South Park 2, Mario+Rabbids, Far Cry 5, AC Odyssey, and Division 2, which have all been excellent. They've been far more good than bad lately
Not really. It's what some people say. But lately they have been putting to much of the same aspects in too many games. I think we can agree on that. And if you don't agree, many others certainly do. I'm a fan of many Ubisoft games myself. Loved Division 2 and Watch_Dogs 2 this gen. Still want to play South Park and Mario and Rabbids. I've heard Origins is good but i can't stand playing that anymore. Feels too much like a chore to me and takes too much time. Although it does look good.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Remember when Ubi said that GaaS was their present + future and that smaller titles weren´t in their cards anymore? That statement can´t be older than 2 weeks. I can´t believe I say this but Breakpoint was godsent in disguise. Here is my pitch: Rayman 4 on the Switch with Michel Ancel producing. Basically Breath of the Wild as a jump & run with a huge interconnected world like in Jak 1.

There is no way that the long lost Wild will survive the Ubi restructuring. You heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.