• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling
From a technical level, I feel like From Software should be embarrassed. Blueprint did an amazing job . Everything from the graphics, sound, and UI is amazing

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, one is multiplatform on last gen consoles and one is a current gen exclusive. Of course.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
From a technical level, I feel like From Software should be embarrassed. Blueprint did an amazing job . Everything from the graphics, sound, and UI is amazing

almost like one is a cross gen open world game, the other is a current gen much more linear game with much smaller areas.

but sure, From should be embarrassed.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
from did a huge, varied open world with some of the most gorgeous art ever in a game, releasing on old gen consoles also, but they should be embarassed, ok.

ER may not be the most technically incredible game, but its hardly an embarassment.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
You should be embarrassed with your post.

Seconded.

I never ceases to amaze me how little some people on a gaming hobbyist site can know about production and technical details.

Like, you just hook yourself up to the Imagination Machine and think really hard about the game you want to make, right?
They totally should have tightened up the graphics on Level 2. Come on! It's like they didn't even bother to hit the "Good Graphics" button!

"I should make games."
"Ok, do it."
"I'm really more of an idea guy."
"Ok, so what's your idea?"
"Better graphics."
"..."

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
In addition to what has already been said here, let's also keep in mind that Bluepoint built their version on top of the original. It's still FromSoft's game underneath it. Meaning there was A LOT less work on the development aspect they had to do, so a lot more time/resources could go to making it as pretty as possible. (Also, it had Sony backing it)

I look forward to a day when new games looking like Demon's Souls Remake is the standard but we're not going to be there for a long time.

Ilyahero

Nov 25, 2019
From should be embarrassed? They made one of the greatest and the most beautiful (in terms of art design) open world ever. What are you smoking?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From games never look particularly great to be fair. It just doesn't seem to be their focus. Which is fine...but yeah. Demon's souls looks insanely nice.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring looks fine, however if there is actually something they should be embarrassed about is their performance. I'm fine with the way Elden Ring looks but a game that looks like Elden Ring should not have the performance issues it has and there seemingly has been no work to improve it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, someone at From even said they were impressed with the remake, and were worried(?) about comparisons.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Elden Ring looks great overall. It has some rough spots but some areas in the game are breathtaking. Not to mention it's the better game overall.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
You're never going to get a From Software game that is a technical marvel. They'll have good, even great art design because that's their thing.

Which is fine because this pixel-chasing, texture resolution complaining obsession doesn't lead to better games or better work life balance for developers.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I mean, someone at From even said they were impressed with the remake, and were worried(?) about comparisons.

Yeah lol

bossrush.net

Elden Ring’s Hidetaka Miyazaki Impressed with but Pressured by Demon’s Souls Remake

Elden Ring Director Hidetaka Miyazaki is impressed but pressured by Bluepoint's remake of the game that made him a household name.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure our graphics-creation staff felt that pressure more than anyone else… And not just with Elden Ring, but with all the games we make. Graphical fidelity is not something we put as the top priority. What we ask for on the graphics side depends on the systems and requirements of the game itself, and it takes less priority compared to the other elements of development."

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls doesn't have to worry about crossgen performance, was developed with the intention of being a technical showcase for the console, and is about one tenth the size of Elden Ring.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I just did play Demon's Soul, sure the FX and light are amazing, but the art and sens of scale of ER is just... beathtaking

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm more amazed about is how the Demon's Souls gameplay DNA is very much alive in Elden Ring. Going in blind to Elden Ring surprised me. It feels like a bigger Demon's Souls.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
To be fair, a game shouldn't need to be a Technical Marvel to have good performance.

Sure, I'm not a huge fan of From games because they run like ass on the platforms I own, but I'm not going to bemoan them for not having better graphics than other games.

Which, is what the OP points out. He doesn't really single out performance.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty difficult to compare the two. From keeps making new games while Bluepoint essentially rebuilt the same exact game with modern visuals. I will give Bluepoint credit though, they have more technical prowess than Fromsoft.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe an open-world game designed for a multi-platform cross-gen release doesn't look the same as a 1st-party developer working for a single console.

Also nobody gives a fuck about how From games look. They didn't care in 1995, they didn't care in 2009 and nobody sure as shit cares now.

Also this narrative that ER doesn't (at times) look absolutely stunning is getting tiresome.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
since when have graphics ever been the reason a game was good?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah lol

bossrush.net

Elden Ring’s Hidetaka Miyazaki Impressed with but Pressured by Demon’s Souls Remake

Elden Ring Director Hidetaka Miyazaki is impressed but pressured by Bluepoint's remake of the game that made him a household name.

nobody is disputing that Demon's Souls looks better than Elden Ring, it's the part where From should be embarrassed that people have an issue with.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they made some actual changes on that Remake. I still can't bother to finish it and graphics definitely can't push me to do it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'm not a huge fan of From games because they run like ass on the platforms I own, but I'm not going to bemoan them for not having better graphics than other games.

Which, is what the OP points out. He doesn't really single out performance.

I mean sure, but easily performance is Elden Rings biggest issue and probably is what (even if they don't mention it), helps Demon's Souls feel so impressive.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
So it just looks prettier and sounds better? Must be nice to have an entire game already made that you have to just skin over.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
I mean sure, but easily performance is Elden Rings biggest issue and probably is what (even if they don't mention it), helps Demon's Souls feel so impressive.

It's much easier to make a pretty game when someone gave you the template for the thing over a decade ago and has been consistently making evolutions on that template in the time since.

Not to take anything away from Bluepoint as they're great at what they do, but once you think critically about the comparison it quickly breaks down.

From is also a company that has been putting out a game a year, sometimes multiple games in a single year, with limited budgets and resources for a long time.

I think people expect that because Dark Souls is successful and widely-respected, the budget is the same as other games that sell as well. They really aren't.

Hopefully with Elden Ring going supernova, they'll have more budget to fix those performance issues.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
So it just looks prettier and sounds better? Must be nice to have an entire game already made that you have to just skin over.

It is pretty nice. I'd love it if they could give Bloodborne the same treatment.

Shit, can you imagine Dark Souls 2 with a new skin? It would actually not look like utter garbage!

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
From software were never a studio known for their technical prowess, and you're comparing them to the best studio in the industry when it comes to remaking games. Ofc there will be a huge difference.
I mean, one is multiplatform on last gen consoles and one is a current gen exclusive. Of course.
ER would still look a generation behind at least even if it was a current gen exclusive.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring frequently looks gorgeous anyway, and delivered an easy 100+ hours of content. 1000% From should be embarrassed with that effort. Just pathetic tbh.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
from should be embarrassed for their technical incompetence but it doesnt take comparing to demons souls ps5 to make the case for it

btw dark souls 1-3 are still offline.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It is pretty nice. I'd love it if they could give Bloodborne the same treatment.

Shit, can you imagine Dark Souls 2 with a new skin? It would actually not look like utter garbage!
It wouldn't make DS2 a better game which is what you've been insinuating. Demons Souls isn't better than the original - it just has a pretty skin.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It wouldn't make DS2 a better game which is what you've been insinuating. Demons Souls isn't better than the original - it just has a pretty skin.

The character creator alone makes it better than the original

50566766908_52b82061f2_o.jpg

Should Bluepoint remake all existence next?

Yes please

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I'd say running at 60 FPS, having improvements to the rolling (the original didn't have the ability to roll in any direction), and having significantly better load times and other little QoL stuff does make the Demon's Souls remake better than the original. Unless you know, the game playing better doesn't mean anything.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Bluepoint is good at remasters but thus far have completely misunderstood the original works that they have remade and their interpretations have been awful.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
FROM shouldn't be embarrassed at all, they made a good game.

But the defenders here are hilariously hostile.

Status
Not open for further replies.