• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So in a lot of threads people are talking about what the death of Tony Stark means for the MCU, being the original superhero in it, the most popular, making the most money overall in his solo outings, and generally being the leader / quasi leader of the team and the bedrock for the identity of the MCU going forward.

Also at the time of posting numbers are still coming in but it's looking like Endgame is going to be a financial monster, grossing hugely in its opening weekend and busting down records. It's a given that it will be breaking the 2 billion mark at this point. Some posts have pointed out how difficult it would be to replicate that level of success again. Others have pointed out how 'unprecedented' most of the MCU has been in terms of critical and commercial success.

A recap-

Phase 1-
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
Avengers

Phase 2-
Iron Man 3
Thor - The Dark World
Captain America - The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers - Age of Ultron
Ant Man

Phase 3-
Captain America- Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Thor- Ragnarok
Black Panther
Avengers- Infinity War
Ant Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Avengers- Endgame
Spider-Man Far From Home

So there has been muted talk that the 'phase' concept is not what they are doing going forward, and that they are collectively calling Phase's 1-3 as "the Infinity Saga". Also the concept of phases is kinda marketing BS but whatever. What I think is more interesting is how they are all structured- Obviously Phase 1 has your origin movies, then a big world ending drama with Avengers. After Avengers, you have Iron Man 3 but a relatively muted instalment in that series that is much more personal and intimate, and less world ending and cosmic or crazy. From there you have seen Marvel actually make sure that it's not too many films where everything is too samey coming out together. A definite criticism of Phase 1 is everything looks a bit samey, and it's kind of true- I actually think Iron Man has a nice feel and look to it but Captain America and Thor aren't exactly huge lookers of films and Avengers directed by Whedon... love or hate the film but I think we can agree it's not the most unique looking film.

But after that they have clearly heard the criticism and made changes, So you see Thor 2 and Winter Solider coming out, followed up by the tonally different Guardians which also looks and feels very different, then Age of Ultron, then Ant Man. Phase 3 is the same, people say "superhero fatigue" but look at the differences in plots, stories, motivations, characters, visuals, sound, villain, heroes and tone between films like Guardians 2, Dr. Strange, Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther.

So we've had a few big cosmic films the last couple of years- Thor Ragnarok, Infinity War, Captain marvel, and Endgame. We are getting (assumably!) a palate cleanser in Spiderman Far from home. But lets look at what's been announced so far-

Confirmed-

2020- May and November
2021- February, May and November
2022- February, May and July.

They've also said at one point they have 20 films in the works in some sense but remember films can be changed (Civil War with Spidey, Avengers 3 becoming 2 films), cancelled (Inhumans) or pushed around (Guardians). Another point is things like say, Thor- After Ragnarok much was said about potentially doing more Thor films, whereas before you kind of assumed 3 was it for now. Now who knows? Another Thor flick? "Asgardians' of the galaxy? You get the idea that Marvel will follow a thread if it is working out better than expected.

Those release dates I'm not sure if they include Spiderman films though as well as technically they are done by Sony.

So 2020 May is basically confirmed as the Black Widow film as that is starting shooting in a bit over a month. 2020 November is looking like it's going to be the Eternals as it's due to start shooting in August. Of course the 'missing' third movie is Guardians 3 thanks to the Gunn controversy.

2021 films are heavily rumoured to be Dr. Strange 2, Black Panther 2, and Shang-Chi. All have deals done and directors signed, with Shang-Chi yet to be cast.

2022 is just light rumours at this point but since Gunn is filming Suicide Squad Reboot he should be done in time to do a Guardians 3. Taiki Waititi has talked about continuing with Marvel also. Surely Captain Marvel 2 at some point.

But does this mean it's potentially another 3 years, maybe more? Until another Avengers film? I can't see them doing it sooner to be honest, and what would the roster look like at this point?

So what is next? What films are coming up? People are very focused on the Fox property characters coming back but Feige has said that the plan for the next 5 years doesn't include them. Can we trust him? I think the next couple of years it'd be naive to expect them but I'd be surprised if say, Dr. Strange 2 passed us (Or Eternals!) without at least a post credits teaser, even if it's just of silver surfer, galactus, dr. doom, or something like that depending on what's being planned. But how will they introduce the X-Men? Gamma Burst from the stones being used so many times on Earth and the 5 year period having mutants in there? Fantastic Four banding together post snap to try to explore space? Dr. Doom ruling a country near Sokovia and turning evil due to the things happening?

And what non fox things will they do? Will they make the jump and generate a new superhero for the roster, not from the comics? Side characters / characters 'taking up the mantle'? Miles Morales? Kamala Khan?

And that's saying nothing of the Disney+ Shows announced in Wandavision, Hawkeye, Loki and Falcon & Winter Soldier. Can these type of shows going forward fill the gaps in that weren't being filled so far? The best example I can see is WandaVision- you have only seen these characters in 3 films, and they go from being introduced, meeting and then dying for eachother in the same of perhaps 20 minutes of actual relationship screentime. A show in between would have sold it a lot better, and they might have that in planning in the future.

So what's next? Who will the next avengers team be? What films will be announced? What fox properties make it in first? What is the next big avengers film and who is the big bad? What cool ideas could the series introduce or flesh out?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
all that matters is Guardians now that they have Thor and Gunn
This. Throw in Throg, Frog of Thunder too.

DrcUG6uUcAAiIYi.jpg

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I can see secret wars as the next thing they build toward. Can have a big crowd pleasers by bringing back someone like Evans or Downey Jr, depending on when it releases.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I think Galactus is probably a threat that needs to be addressed.

Hold off on Dr. Doom. The MCU has only managed to do villains well on two occasions. I don't have any hope Doom could be done with any level of justice right now.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I want to see some damm Auteurship.

Edgar Wright's Ant Man was probably going to be the closest to something like that, but Feige had to shut it down. I respect Feige for what he has done for the MCU but i really want Marvel to start taking risks.

I want to see a MCU movie rival this

Batman-the-dark-knight-7358651-1600-1200.jpg

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Black Widow, Eternals, Black Panther 2, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Spider-Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Captain Marvel 2, and then perhaps the first team-up movie? Those would be the movies needed to get a status update on all characters and start the motions for the next big arc. (And then Ant-Man 3 after the team-up as per tradition.)

Oct 31, 2017
I'm with you on the timeline for the next 3 years

2020 = May Black Widow, November Eternals, Disney+ = What if season 1, Falcon and WInter Soldier season 1
2021 = Feb Black Panther 2, May Dr. Strange 2, Disney+ = season 2 of above if needed, season 1 of WandaVision and Loki
2022 = Feb Captain Marvel 2, May GoTG3, July Ant Man 3, Disney + = season 2, 3 of above if needed, season 1 of Hawkeye and other originals

Beyond that it is tricky. I expect to see Namor in BP2 and/or Dr. Strange 2. He'll take Loki's place for the next few years. They pretty much started the groundwork for him in Endgame. Derrickson posted a pick of him and Dr. Strange before deleting. Coogler mentioned there were characters he wanted to use in Panther 1, but didn't. He is going to be the antagonist/protagonist for the next 5 years. People hoping for Doom will be disappointed.

It's hard on where to peg FF and X-Men movies, but I think not before Fall 2023 at the earliest. Character introduction and teasers before then is possible, but they won't rush it. My guess is FF and X-Men are putting on ice as they go through with their previous plans and allow us to wash the bad Fox taste out of our mouths as they slowly and organically introduce them. I am also not sure how they will deal with SM. They want him to be one of the faces going forward along with CM, BP, and Strange. I guess it'll depend if they get the full rights back or if the deal with Sony is extended post FFH. I'm also not sure where they'll put Deadpool 3 in the slate. We all know he is coming and will be part of the MCU. I kinda expect a Marvel MAX/Knights label that is part of the larger MCU to be introduced for R rated affairs.

I don't see them going to 4 movies a year until at least 2022 though. With Disney+ and plenty of series a-coming it's going to be tough going to 4 without sacrificing quality. If they do, I would guess Deadpool 3 is one of the prime candidates to take the 4th spot.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
phase 4 will he split in two

a part of the phase that just exists

And a part that is building to Avengers 5

black widow
eternals
guardians 3
other cosmic stuff
dead pool 3
any reboot of fox stuff will have little to nothing to do with Avengers 5

now
ant man 3
spider man 3 and maybe 4
captian marvel 2
black panther 2
And Dr strange 2 will all build to an Avengers 5

Avengers 5 should be dark avengers/ masters of evil/ thunder bolts

this evil team should have 6 to 12 members

3 main members being namor ( 1st set up in black panther 2, he gets redeemed by then end of Avengers 5)

moon stone ( set up in captian marvel 2)

And Norman Osborne ( set up in the spider man movies we are getting evrey other year.)

Avengers 5 will release 2024

the gap between endgame and it will be the longest leaving us hungry for Avengers by then

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Evans is up for it, I want Captain America stories set in the 50s and 60s.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm getting the Shang-Chi movie I begged for, so now how about a Death's Head trilogy?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Guardians with Adam Warlock fucking finally. Some sequels until I'm guessing Fantastic Four is announced, and then they bring Deadpool in since DP 3 is already in early production.

Honestly, I hope we get a Silver Surfer movie before F4.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Stinks that the Gunn fiasco means we're not getting Guardians 3 next year, but probably 3 or 4 years from now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Beyond that it is tricky. I expect to see Namor in BP2 and/or Dr. Strange 2. He'll take Loki's place for the next few years. They pretty much started the groundwork for him in Endgame. Derrickson posted a pick of him and Dr. Strange before deleting. Coogler mentioned there were characters he wanted to use in Panther 1, but didn't. He is going to be the antagonist/protagonist for the next 5 years. People hoping for Doom will be disappointed.

Namor is in a rights quagmire about on par with the one the Hulk has going on. Don't expect to see him.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Young Avengers/Champions team with Shuri, Stature, Spider-Man, and Kamala.

Captain Marvel sequels alongside a solo Kamala Khan film.

Dr. Doom or Kang for the next bid baddie to go along with the new Avengers team.

Oct 31, 2017
Namor is in a rights quagmire about on par with the one the Hulk has going on. Don't expect to see him.

That's internet urban myth. No one besides insiders know for sure what's going on with his rights. What I have read previously was, Mavel owned production rights, Fox had veto rights due to mutants, and Universal had rights of first refusal similar to Hulk. If that's the case it would explain why he was never used and why he could now be used in other movies like Hulk. However we do not know for sure.

What we do know is that he's been teased by Dr. Strange 2's director, Black Panther 2's director, and Endgame. We also know MCU's head honcho said it's a matter of when, not if. "When" IMO and from what I have seen starts in 2021 with Panther 2 and Strange 2.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Dr. Doom
Silver Surfer and Galactus
Phoenix

One of those 3 being the big ultimate bad would be A-OK with me.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Well, for one I really want to see the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom introduced. Beyond how the next phase/series of phases will be set up, I want to see Marvel really push some of their movies. Stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't need to be tweaked, but I'd love to see a dark fantasy Dr. Strange movie. I want to see Black Panther go against Dr. Doom or Namor (or some threeway scheming/war). I want to see a fun Sam Alexander Nova Corps movie that has some of the same Shazam crowd appeal. I want to see a Thunderbolts movie. I want to see a psychological thriller Moon Knight movie.

More than all of those (besides a proper Doom), I want a Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel movie.

Okay but for real the movie I want the most is Squirrel Girl.

As for the new Avengers team: I don't know man. Just change up the dynamics. Like, it would be neat to have a couple as part of the Avengers and not relegated to star crossed lovers or subtext, but just a playful, nice couple. It's going to be damn near impossible to find a similar caliber of chemistry between the "leaders" of the Avengers the way RDJ and Chris Evans had. Tony Stark and Steve Rogers are iconic, and I'm not sure where they go next.

It's probably a really stupid idea, but I'd like to see Shuri make her own "Ironheart" suit and be a version of Iron Man.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I want mutants sprinkled in before we get xmen. storm in new black panther. Iceman/ bobby drake in spiderman as peters old friend etc..

I can also see magneto being one the first mutants. Makes sense that nazi's would first test the affects of the stones, on jews in concentration camps first. They can they them freeze magneto and unfreeze him sometimes in the 60/s70s and have him be the father of wanda and pietro. the reason why their powers also awoke because of the stones...

Oct 27, 2017
Panther Doom and Namor going after each other with the FF4 and bits and bobs of whoever is left after Endgame would be awesome.

Then Galactus? I want godamn Silver Surfer back on screen.

melonrabbit

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere
I want mutants sprinkled in before we get xmen. storm in new black panther. Iceman/ bobby drake in spiderman as peters old friend etc..

I can also see magneto being one the first mutants. Makes sense that nazi's would first test the affects of the stones, on jews in concentration camps first. They can they them freeze magneto and unfreeze him sometimes in the 60/s70s and have him be the father of wanda and pietro. the reason why their powers also awoke because of the stones...

Rogue appearing in CM 2 as a villain seems like a no brainer.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
The five years would actually be a good time for someone like doom setup his own country.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus.

I expect Cable and Deadpool to play bigger roles.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It all leads to Secret Wars.

Stark and Rogers come back thanks to time travel shenanigans.

Obviously the integration of the X-Men and F4 will be massive.

Lots of cosmic stuff. Surfer, Galactus, Adam Warlock and Nova will play a big role.

And if Feige really wants to do the thing... Ultimate Marvel Cinematic Universe.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Please discuss this in one of the dedicated OT or community threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.