• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
AOE_Roadmap_Full_1920x1080.jpg

Following the first (rather small) patch for Age of Empires IV, the developers have released a road map for what is coming up next: XBox Wire Article. There is a stream coming later today, at 2:30PST, which will probably have some additional details, you can watch at https://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires.

More details about that Winter 2021 Update:

• Make the choice to turn on and view in-game player scores! Based on community feedback, we've made the decision to implement in-game scores for those who wish to have them. We know that using this feature can change the way you choose to play the game, and so we want to empower you to make the choice for yourself – starting with our Winter 2021 update, you'll be able to enable in-game player score on a case-by-case basis for custom lobby multiplayer and skirmish matches.
  • We've moved the Chinese Dynasty button and user interface to a less prominent position on the screen. You'll now find it in the lower left-hand corner.
  • The ability to view the map post-match is something you've asked for, and we've begun to make changes to allow you to do just that. Starting with the Winter 2021 update, you'll be able to pan across the map of a completed match after finishing up your game – we'll be looking to fold in additional options to allow you to easily switch back and forth between the completed map view and post-game stats in Spring 2022.
  • Refinements made to the in-game mini-map to improve readability are also coming in Winter 2021. Improvements include reducing the size of icons, ensuring the Wonder icon on the mini-map matches the icon displayed in the HUD, increasing the size of the Primary Town Center in comparison to other Landmarks, and adjusting the color of certain resources
On balance changes:

For balance and bug fixing, we've got loads of changes to share with you in our release notes when this update lands, but here are a handful of adjustments our balance team is particularly excited about:
  • French Hulk ship tweaked to no longer rule the high seas.
  • Crossbowmen, Spearman and Elite Crossbowmen will pose a greater threat to Cavalry.
  • Significantly reducing the cost of the Chinese civilization's Repeater crossbow.
  • Fix to HRE Prelate unit to allow them to continue inspiring after being pushed.
  • Mongol "Superior Mobility" adjusted to ensure the speed modifier is appropriately applied. Thanks to the community for calling this out!
  • Fix issued for the Rus civilization to eliminate infinite Relic duplication
On the Spring 2022 Update:

• User Generated Content and tools allow you to bring your ideas to life. Not a mod maker yourself? No worries, you'll still be able to enjoy the work of others — sampling their vision for unique maps, modes, and more. This will provide just another way to truly make history your story in Age of Empires IV.
  • Spring 2022 will also see the start of Ranked Seasons. Ranked Seasons will span 12 weeks, allow players to compete head-to-head, climb the ranked ladder, and earn exclusive in-game rewards based on performance. We look forward to sharing more about Seasons in 2022, and if you're looking to get some practices in ahead of time, we'd encourage you to brush up on your knowledge with the Art of War challenges, Campaign or play against AI and other players!

We'll also be finalizing some minor improvements to the post-game map in Spring 2022, introducing the Patrol move you've been asking for, as well as exploring the inclusion of other features and fixes based on player feedback.

This is great to see, though I must admit my feelings will differ quite a bit depending on when in 'Winter 2021' this actually happens.

Infinitely duplicate if old.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Very nice to get a roadmap of planned additions and changes, but personally my biggest gripe is the presentation (Unit models, Animations, Camera Distance, Missing effects, ect...) and that's not mentioned anywhere which is a big bummer :(

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

What’s Next for Age of Empires IV?

Winter 2021 On Monday, November 15, we launched Patch 7989 to introduce fixes to Xbox Account linking, an issue with Mongol Town Center behavior, performance impacts when panning the camera and some other tweaks. While this patch was smaller and more pointed, we're happy to share that we're...

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
No plans for new civilizations yet?

Let's start with balancing the 8 we have before adding new ones.. lol.

It's a good roadmap, though some things which are detailed in the blogpost as coming 'somewhere in the future' like the hotkey improvements and waypoint indicators would've been a welcome addition right now.

But it seems they've pinpointed the most important things. The Chinese civ UI is really annoying and the mini-map continues to be useless. So happy to see improvements there.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this but the stuttering on panning the camera, a core essential action in an RTS, was irritating as hell. I heard they tried to address this, is it truly fixed now?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like support will be continuing for a very long time. This makes me happy.

OP
OP
Rodelero

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

What’s Next for Age of Empires IV?

Winter 2021 On Monday, November 15, we launched Patch 7989 to introduce fixes to Xbox Account linking, an issue with Mongol Town Center behavior, performance impacts when panning the camera and some other tweaks. While this patch was smaller and more pointed, we're happy to share that we're...

God knows how my search didn't pick that up ;/ though looks like not many saw that thread.

Lock it down

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Another bare bones 'roadmap' that offers nothing substantial.

What?! It offers the most important fixes asked by from the community. Sure, there are still some other annoyances I would've liked to see addressed (the user experience for groups is a mess, just like the notification system). But overall, if they implement all these things listed well it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.