• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With Sora's announcement today,we just barely avoided what has become one of the biggest criticisms of Smash Bros' roster, too many characters who use just their fists, bodies and perhaps a tool unsuitable for battle to fight with. has been proven true yet again.

While I'm happy with Sora as a character for bucking this trend, Smash's DLC offerings have not been far outside the status quo for the series. Apart from a huge lack of diversity in skintones, the fact that a majority of fighters follow a single archetype is a shame, especially when the series has such potential for different fighting styles. Characters like Sepiroth, Sora, and Joker really showcase a unique style of play, and yet most of the DLC roster, feels extremely safe.

Yeah, rant over, it's just, why has the trope of the angry fighting personbecome so ubiquitous in video games? I get that the rise of videogame culture and fighting games have made many of these characters huge stars, but I feel like Smash has gone so hard with the safe picks it loses some of the things that made it special to begin with.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I see what you did there lmao. I agree though, the 'swordfighter' critique was always irrelevant to me. Now, the number of FE characters that look similarly was a problem IMO

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, the biggest thing I hear about Smash character dis-enjoyment is all the disjointed hitboxes from "anime swordguy/gal" being a huge chunk of the roster

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not create reaction threads. Feel free to post in the existing threads discussing this content. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.