• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I heard about the strike a week ago.

A few articles:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/15/amazon-prime-day-strike/
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/15/amazon-workers-prime-day-strike-begins-in-minnesota.html
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/14/...warehouse-employees-conditions-prime-day-2019

Personally, I'm not buying anything on Prime Day and not gonna touch any Amazon services.
In case you haven't watched John Oliver's excellent video on it.

And before you shit "Amazon Web Services" out of your mouth, that's a) not really possible to boycott because so many sits use it and b) we're talking about the warehouse workers on the bottom.

Consider this Unfulfilled if old.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i rarely buy from amazon. maybe a handful of times a year. i guess im already doing my part? i hate waiting for packages.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Im gonna be real honest and frank, doing some one day solidarity pat on the back means not shit when you turn around and shop on Amazon for the other 49 weeks of the year.

Performative activism is weak.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing, but I didn't really have anything I needed to buy from Amazon today anyway.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Im gonna be real honest and frank, doing some one day solidarity pat on the back means not shit when you turn around and shop on Amazon for the other 49 weeks of the year.

The workers specifically asked people not to shop on Amazon for this 48 hour period.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I never do Prime's Overnight Shipping anymore. Hard to beat some of their prices...but it's actually kinda easy to skip over them too. I've gotten enough fraudulent crap or mispicks that I try not to make them my No. 1 store choice. Hearing about the working coniditions makes it that much easier to ignore them.

Eugh..doubling down on this: I'm sure most companies around the world are involved in terrible (if not straight-up illegal) working conditions.

Our world is fucked up and we keep much too quiet about it in the face of what we want/need.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yup. Fuck amazon, don't use it ever. That said, starting that today is great.

About a year ago I fully cut myself off from them by selling my Kindle and at the time new Sonos Beam because of the shitty Alexa integration.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I'm not buying shit from Amazon during "Prime Days". I would cut them out of my life 100% but sadly I currently live in a place where the only viable stores are shitty big box stores. When I move back into the heart of LA that shit is donezo.

Oct 28, 2017
Something you can do regularly is not choose 1 or 2 day shipping if you really don't need it. If something really doesn't matter to you about when it comes in, choose the slower shipping option.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not going to pretend like Amazon has not been a useful part of my life, nor am I going to hold faux pity for these workers. I genuinely feel for the people in these warehouses who are overworked and underappreciated. I also realize that if I were to actively abstain from every product that is made by others in distress or dire situations, I'd literally be buck naked.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm broke anyway, so I can't really say I'm supporting them with the non-purchase request. Overall though, I'll always push for workers' rights, good working conditions, good pay, and anything to help close that wealth gap.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't buy anything from amazon
*like 99% of my days

otherwise honestly idc, i'll watch twitch today (but i've never paid for a sub) and probably use AWS somehow.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm not going to pretend I've done anything. I'm sympathetic to a point but I'm not about to stop using Amazon, and I'd be full of shit if I claimed to.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely if ever shop from them because I think they are gross.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Since amazon stopped with the video game discounts, I haven't really been buying anything from them and am gonna cancel my prime. The service is pretty shitty now, movie selection sucks as well as their music app.

I guess I'll just keep going to Walmart 🤷🏾‍♂️

Not really a better choice I'm not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.