• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Oh wow what a great idea.
0273a8bad75e23385ca45c78570fbcad0009bb39_hq.gif

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Literally is he proposing how to fix the police or spruce up an old bedroom?

lol. What I love about Silicon Valley is that they were praised as these uber-geniuses that cared about the world (unlike those scum bag coke snorting traditional big business wall street types).

But I think I prefer the scumbags. They at least know they are pieces of shit. You don't see Goldman exec's trying to be woke in real time

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Symbolic interactionism is an important part of sociology - but we're dealing with something that needs to be addressed both in structuralism and Marxism first.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing a post you copied straight off of twitter with editorial that was also likely copied from the comments. You are one of the 6,560 talking about this, and that number just went up with your sharing, congrats!

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
The branding isn't the problem.

The relationship the police have to civil society is the problem. They're supposed to be civil servants who protect and serve people above all else. They don't need another name, they just need to actually do their job and not be racists or murderers or a mafia/protection racket while doing it. They just need to be fireable/jailable if they themselves commit crimes on the job.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guns will be renamed to Portable object shooters. Or POS for short.

Guardians will be carry POSs with them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Andrew Yang has a lot of takes. I'd say about 80% of them are pretty good, and about 20% of them are just like "Andrew, please, stop, you're embarrassing yourself."

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Andrew's actually super smart and it's not like this is some kind of complete platform for reform. Context of the quote matters.

He's 100% right in that if you train police as 'warriors' and use military jargon, the result is that you get a militarized police force that treats their job like combat patrols-with predictable outcomes. Branding and naming, along with the words that reinforce it, does actually matter.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb tweet, but it looks like he's posted a TON about this, including things like defunding the police and radically changing their roll.

This doesn't seem like a fair critique.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't just... change their name and give them a literal 'make-over'.

That said, in the Minneapolis PD disbanding thread, people have already said the replacement shouldn't even carry the name Police, and I did suggest Guardian, since it gets away from the taint of the current system.

It's a dumb tweet, but it looks like he's posted a TON about this, including things like defunding the police and radically changing their roll.

This doesn't seem like a fair critique.
Oh well in that case, he's in tune with everyone. So I don't see why we should drag him for this tweet.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
This guy generally seems thoughtful and well-intentioned but insanely naive. Also these Punisher-loving cops already think of themselves as "Guardians" of all that is good and white, the problem is they don't consider Black people and certain other groups of people to be part of the community they should be protecting.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the guy who said that Asian's should stop being so Asian then racism would go away?

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I don't like this take, but for some background the Guardian vs. Warrior style training and mentality is something that's been debated in law enforcement for a while and is the accepted terminology, not just a term Yang made up.

Edit: Read some more of his opinions on the issue and don't feel the OP's title is being fair to him at all. There's a lot in there, but the one take that could be poked fun at got pulled as evidence that he's a "fucking idiot" on police reform. Not particularly helpful or informative.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Andrew has too much Silicon Valley in him, he sees it as a branding issue. Oddly enough it's how Jared Kusher sees a lot of things

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, just change the name and the color to purple. Worked for Nashville public transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.