• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

Brie Larson has vanished.

A star of Avengers: Endgame, one of the biggest movies of all time, was completely excised from a modified pirated version of the film — along with everything else in the film seen as feminist or gay.

An anonymous fan edited out shots, scenes and characters in a "defeminized" version circulating now on an illegal streaming site. As well as losing Larson's character, Captain Marvel, the defeminized edit is missing a scene where Hawkeye teaches his daughter to shoot. ("Young women should learn skills to become good wives and mothers and leave the fighting to men," the editor opined in an accompanying document.) The role of Black Panther is minimized. ("He's really not that important.") Spider-Man doesn't get rescued by women characters anymore. ("No need to.") And male characters no longer hug.

"I think what we've seen, as fan culture and geek culture moves from the margins to the mainstream," [Suzanne Scott, a professor of film and media studies at the University of Texas] says, "is that a particular set — and I should note, a small percentage — of predominantly white straight male fans feel like their culture that they had ownership and claim over for many, many generations is sort of slipping away from them, as that culture gets bigger and inevitably more diverse."

A similar "chauvinist cut" of 2017's Star Wars: The Last Jedi removed key scenes of women making decisions, giving orders, having ideas and fighting in battle.

"It is borderline incomprehensible"

Edit: I see some people saying this shouldn't be signal boosted, but I want to stress three points why I think it's worth mentioning, even on this site. First, people should be made aware that this continues to happen; it happened with The Last Jedi and it's happening still. Second, that this is a thing that happens, as the University of Texas film professor points out, in "fan culture and geek culture" communities, which we have abundantly here. And, third, that because we have those communities here, that good people in those communities should police them, report users who keep bringing up how everyone hates Brie Larson, that she "broke the law" in Captain Marvel, that Holdo in The Last Jedi "acts irrationally", "is wearing a dress and not a military uniform," or "has purple hair, and who could take that seriously" as legitimate criticism, all of which has appeared here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being offended by the simple presence of these actors to this point.

Ridiculous, those aren't fans, they're the pettiest bitches on earth.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I wanna say why give these idiots even more exposure but it at least allows us to point and laugh at them. Got chills when these characters showed in Endgame, how the hell is removing them fixing anything.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The description reads like parody.

Who gives a fucking shit at this point, these people don't matter.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
I bet they didn't remove...

Black Widow's death scene.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
When women and minorities live in your head rent free so much you put in a full shift being a bigot

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't we have this thread and it was already shut down? There something new with this coming up again?

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
These people are a vestigial body part that needs to be disregarded till it withers away through evolution.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No one needed to edit a three hour movie to tell me nerd culture is bigoted.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
1d042d754730726cf6e2266d0eca9253.gif

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to believe this is parodying the alt right morons... but there's people out there that hate everyone that's not a white male so I don't know really know man.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i heard about this a while ago and found the torrent, and it had a whopping 7 seeders and less leechers

it's really just some moron and a couple of other morons

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Guys hear me out

If we ignore this

Maybe these people will disappear because we looked the other way

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so was this sincere or just trying to get a rise out of people?

probably both

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how these dudes are going to survive the next phase(s). We're almost certainly getting Captain Marvel and Black Panther trilogies, Black Widow is on the way, Feige says Ms. Marvel is on the way, and there will undoubtedly be more and more focus on women going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.