• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've always just dabbled in Animal Crossing games, but I was hoping to make New Horizons the first one that I really sink my teeth into since my Switch is my most-played platform by a country mile. That said, all this time as new footage has slowly trickled out (culminating in today's Direct) I've had this nagging feeling of disappointment with the game's shift away from small-town life to a deserted island theme.

mr-resetti-will-be-on-the-job-hunt-for-animal-crossing-new-horizons.jpg

Establishing a camp on an island is cool, but I worry about losing that cozy, small-town atmosphere.

I haven't see anyone else mention disapproval of this shift, but I was wondering if anyone else around here felt the same. As a deserted island starting from nothing, it feels like something more akin to a survival game than an Animal Crossing game. And I really, really don't enjoy survival games. Yes, I realize that it's still very much Animal Crossing, mechanically, but that "moving into a small town" vibe has always been one of the biggest draws of the series for me.

Anyone else feel similarly, or am I truly alone on this island? šŸ˜

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same worry myself, but given the control you can clearly have over the island I think it's better to few it more as having a blank canvas on which you can construct your own small cozy town, which I'm now really looking forward to.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Let's keep discussion on the game in the Direct thread for now.

www.resetera.com

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct - Feb 20 @ 9am ET

Features new to the series! Life on the Island: Nook Inc. confidently recommends a trip to a remote deserted island. And thatā€™s not just because itā€™s the only company that offers this type of package! On the island, life is as peaceful and relaxing as it gets. Since the island is deserted, you...

Status
Not open for further replies.