• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
If we go by the word on the street by WSJ, Switch Pro will be an upgrade from OG Switch like 3DS to N3DS. That's significant! In terms of suggested power from WSJ and based off n3ds, it's a bit vague, because it's a bit different than PS4 Pro and Xbone X consoles that specialized in upgrading GPU power (N3DS got 3x CPU and 2x Ram).Like the N3DS, we can expect significant framerate performance. But hopefully we get 2x boost all around in GPU, CPU, Ram, and bandwidth and have it in line as xbone base in overall power.

But is anyone really hoping they go all out like PS4 pro and Xbone, notably with older games? I bought Octopath Traveler and Doom and I actually am waiting for a Switch Pro update for 2x the resolution bump or even 2x the framerate (I really love when devs give these settings like PC settings) to play them. Nintendo isn't Sony and MS, but It IS the norm now with the pro revisions, and I'd be very dissapointed that they don't advertise it I would love to go back to botw playing 1080p docked with potentially 60fps or better draw distances.

Let's hope Nintendo doesn't half ass it like they did with n3ds.

Last edited:

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I don't think the boost is gonna be big enough to run BotW at double the framerate lol.

I'll get a Switch Pro because the Switch is my favorite console of all time and I want the best possible experience with it. But I'm not expecting anything mind blowing, especially for older games.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I expect them to treat it like a N3DS/2DS situation all around. They don't have a great track record of supporting incremental hardware upgrades. It would be nice if it changed, though.

Oct 28, 2017
Here is what I expect:

-Few patches for older third party games but all games will get loading time boosts. Also variable resolution games get a boost.

-Some but not all games on a go forward basis get a Pro boost with bigger boosts coming from games tied to certain engines (like say Unreal) that Nintendo will work with to improve before launch

-Nintendo will offer something like N64 games exclusive to the new unit plus going forward first party games will have benefits like full 1080p in docked modes for games that otherwise don't. Maybe a few patches for older games like BOTW to get to 1080p, but they won't touch games already at that plateau to add super sampling or something crazy like that

-Modders will crack it open and get it running GameCube games perfectly within a year

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect any technical options for any Nintendo developed games. Do you? Nintendo games often lack some of the most basic gameplay/control/visual options most other games have. There will likely be a patch for some games to make them run on the Switch Pro just the way Nintendo wants them for you to run and that'll be it. And I'm gonna buy it.

Some 3rd party games like Doom could get some of these options though.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I'll let ya know when it's announced. Hoping for the best though

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If it's real, I would be very surprised if it's significantly more powerful, so I'm not setting my expectations too high. Also, I bet there are just as many console players who vocally oppose graphics options as there are those who want them. See: "why don't you play on PC?" type threads. Some people seem to get super anxious about options.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I don't think the boost is gonna be big enough to run BotW at double the framerate lol.

I'll get a Switch Pro because the Switch is my favorite console of all time and I want the best possible experience with it. But I'm not expecting anything mind blowing, especially for older games.
Besides botw being made to tailor for the Wii U console, I think if the switch had say 50% more bandwidth, 1080p would have been possible.
If we get a 2.5x GPU performance boost as well as 2x CPU, I think 60fps is doable. Maybe not both.. but would be cool to choose between 1080p 30fps with better draw distances and fidelity VS 900p 60fps. Definitely not expecting Nintendo to have a 60fps option though.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is this a joke post?
Waiting to play octopath traveller for either a 2x resolution or 2x frame rate boost that an unknown upgrade probably won't give

That's one game that a 2 x resolution & 2 x frame rate boost would have little to no impact on due to the nature of the game and the art style

Can't take the post seriously, aside from the fact there is no indication of what a switch pro might actually mean except a random rumour

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As we know it there are two performance profiles on the existing Switch

handheld
docked

My assumption is that the Switch Pro will have these two:

handheld/docked, equivalent to OG Switch 'docked' performance applying to handheld games and to docked games created originally for OG Switch
docked+, higher peak performance for games that take advantage of it

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'd rather just hold out for a Swtich 2. games i care about fps/resolution i just buy on PC or PS4 Pro (barring exclusives, obvs)

though debut the thing with, say, a killer Metroid Prime 4 trailer and a reasonable price point i could see myself being budged the other way

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I don't expect any technical options for any Nintendo developed games. Do you? Nintendo games often lack some of the most basic gameplay/control/visual options most other games have. There will likely be a patch for some games to make them run on the Switch Pro just the way Nintendo wants them for you to run and that'll be it. And I'm gonna buy it.

Some 3rd party games like Doom could get some of these options though.
I'm not expecting PC settings. I'm hoping for 720p-900p games to go full 1080p for Switch games at least. And allowing devs to do the same and maybe go further if desired. 600-700p 30fps Doom/Wolfeinstein 2.to 900 60fps would be amazing.

Realistically right away we will see switch pro maximizing the highest resolution and framerate for games, without patches at least.

I just want docked performance in handheld mode, and more stable framerates.
Yeah same here, and 2.5x more power for docked so we get close to 1 TFLOP on docked mode.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I expect them to treat it like a N3DS/2DS situation all around. They don't have a great track record of supporting incremental hardware upgrades. It would be nice if it changed, though.

There's a huge difference in that the 3DS hardware and software was never equipped to do anything substantial with the boost n3DS provided. The Switch is built for that

I don't personally expect a boost mode at all. I would like devs to do what they did with FE Warriors and Darkstalkers by adding a performance/resolution mode. So you can have the game at 60fps or running at high resolution

Oct 25, 2017
We have some threads about the Switch pro, which might or might not exist at this point.

I just want it for the next Zelda and Bayo3

Status
Not open for further replies.