• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
With today's announcement that Doom Eternal is delayed to March 2020, it's made me go back and take a look at all of the games that are currently known/heavily rumored to release next year, and there are so many of those that are all expected to be extremely good. So many in fact that if you asked me to guess what games will end up in my top 10 for next year, I could probably do that (in no particular order):
  • The Last of Us: Part 2
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Doom Eternal
  • Elden Ring
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Subnautica: Below Zero
  • Dreams
  • Assassin's Creed: Vikings
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong

And that's not even mentioning other games that I'm excited about, like Watch Dogs: Legion, Psychonauts 2, Animal Crossing, and Nioh 2. It just seems crazy, I can't think of another time when I was able to fill out a whole top 10 list of games for a year before that year even started. Obviously any of the games I've mentioned here could undergo any number of problems through development and come out compromised, but for now, looking both at what we've seen of these games as well as their developers' track records, it's pretty crazy just how many heavy hitters seem to be coming out next year.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Those all seem like quality games, yup. I don't want to make predictions since lots of games we don't know about will still release, especially from Nintendo and new console launch titles, but it's shaping up to be a quality year.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
No, I would have never guessed Undertale would be fighting Mario Odyssey for my Game of the gen until now.
I love it when some surprise games reach my best of the year lists, while also its pretty common to be really hyped for a game but then getting bored by it (like RDR2).

I think the only one that I'm SURE I will love is hollow Knight Silksong.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Last of us 2
3. Elder ring
4. Watchdogs 3???
5. AC Vikings hopefully

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Strictly speaking of AAAish, big obvious titles, then yeah. There's always those smaller title that'll sneak in, though.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Nintendo has barely announced anything for next year. We have no clue what's coming for next gen consoles. Ask this question AFTER E3 2020.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
No all of those could suck. Your expectations might change. They could get delayed again.

Seriously tho, yeah it's looking like 2020 will be a strong lineup. I like the modern trend of all the big games being early in the year. This year started hot with 2make, dmc5, sekiro. And I still got stuff I want to try from this year.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, pretty much. Maybe not a top 10 already but a top 5, provided these games don't disappoint but I don't think they will.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm looking forward to FFVII and Yakuza but the other stuff I'm not as sure about. Cyberpunk and Last of Us look good but I can't say with certainty that they'll live up to the hype.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Top 3 yes:

1. The Last of Us Part II
2. Elden Ring
3. Cyberpunk 2077 or Ghost of Tsushima

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
It's shaping up to be a great year, and is yet another fantastic swan song for the PlayStation.

I really, really, really hope we're playing the sequel to Breath of the Wild in 2020!

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
There's gonna be a quality year next year for sure.

Hollow Knight 2, Last of us 2, Ori 2, Doom 2 all of these sequels is very likely to hit my top 10.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I suspect (hope) Animal Crossing nails my GOTY! But yes, overall it's shaping up to be an insane year all around.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I always think I do based on my most anticipated titles of the year, but then random bangers just seem to drop straight out of nowhere and blow me away, completely disrupting my Top 10.

This year, Overcrowd: ACEM, Automachef, Eastshade, Amid Evil and more completely knocked my socks off and I had no idea they were a thing in 2018.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Not at all. Indie games and Nintendo games are much of what I play these days and outside of Silksong I have no clue what will end up on my GOTY list for 2020 right now. Then there are all the games I'm interested in but certainly not 100% sure I'll love (Sakura Wars, Yakuza, Brigandine, etc).

Oct 30, 2017
No, I need to know the next gen games first. And I don't like going into a year expecting games to be 10s and 9s. Learned that the hard way in 2017 when I dropped almost all of the big titles.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
hype factor doesnt always match up actual goty picks so no I can't. I mean games like CP2077 and TLOU 2 are obviously prime candidates but stranger things have happened.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I can typically guess my GOTY order with pretty high accuracy. 2020 will be something like:

1. Elden Ring
2. Hollow Knight: Silksong
3. Cyberpunk 2077
4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
5. Final Fantasy VII Remake
6. Doom Eternal
7. The Last of Us Part 2
8. ???

...assuming all those games are released in 2020 of course. Cyberpunk I could see possibly being higher or lower... #2 or #4.

#1-4 all have a very strong chance of making it into my top 10 of all time.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
2. The Last of Us 2
3. Cyberpunk 2077

I expect a huge chasm between these and No. 4, whatever that turns out to be.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is both very early and also framed as a list thread, please review FAQ on thread creation, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.