• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Just deleting this ( unsure how or even if I can delete my own thread).

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
No. They've already mentioned several times Japan Studio constantly consulted with them during development, even before the game was officially green-lit.

With the help of Japan Studio, Sucker Punch also spent time talking to consultants and historians. It needed to know about the history of the invasion of Tsushima. It needed to know how Japanese people from that time lived and how they moved. Sucker Punch even flew in modern-day practitioners of the samurai sword-fighting style to consult on the game and do some motion capture.

Oct 25, 2017
Please let's never compare the other games you listed to the travesty that is Detroit.

That shit heap stands on a monumental pillar of its own.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

Did you watch the State of Play? It's clearly a love letter done with great care. Japanese VA, the Kurosawa mode, and so on.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
No, not really.

Even though English lip-sync with the Japanese voice over is annoying to me. But I get that it's expensive/it means more man hours.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Why can someone not make a game set in another place and time with recorded history to draw from? Assassin's Creed does it all the time, anyway.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Metal Gear is developed by a Japanese company. I can enjoy foreign takes on what is foreign culture to them. This can lead to unique insights.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Everything japan studio touch it became magic. A niche exemple No Heroes Allowed on PSVR, i mean japan studio help, and it was magical.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they're selling it as an homage to samurai films, not necessarily authentic Japanese history. And they're working with SIE Japan (and their parent company is Japanese). I think it's fine.

caphisuada

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else worried about Metal Wolf Chaos being made by a Japanese company and having the main character be the president of the US?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No.

Metal Gear is developed by a Japanese company. I can enjoy foreign takes on what is foreign culture to them. This can lead to unique insights.
There are millions of other examples as well. The premise of the thread is very strange.

Should studios only design games with content in their home country? It's bonkers.

Do we apply these same things to novels, movies, TV, theatre? The way gamers look at gaming is a bit wacky at times.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Im worried about Assassin's Creed, thousands working on it, lots of studios and not a single viking developer.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
If the game was about tackling issues such as the clash of Japanese modernization and the perceived betrayal of Japanese culture/abolishment of the samurai caste, such as Satsuma Rebellion, etc? Yes.

But a game that wears its inspiration on its sleeves as a chambara Kurosawa fantasy? No.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listen I'm excited for the game and will pick it up day one if I can but Sony has a weird history of having games (yes I know made by separate developers) that borrow oddly from other cultures or siphon history of rascism/marginalization.

It feels weird to play Horizon:Zero Dawn with how blatantly it borrows from Indigenous people's history/current issues and even using terms as designations without understanding the real life context/implications.

The same with Detroit: Become Human.. I mean this has been discussed to death here but it's cringy and nauseating how it borrows black history in America even using black characters to confirm how "reliable" the android's experience is....

I won't get into the Last of us 2 leaks Obviously but definitely worried about certain lgbtq+ tropes it could be curtailing.

Sucker Punch has already said that the game itself will be deviating from Japanese history intentionally with it's story...

Am I being to presumptive since the game isn't out yet?
Where's the poll?

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
JFC SMH YIKES

I think all three terms are applicable to this thread.

answer is an obvious No. Just like I don't give a fuck about JP devs working with Western settings like the USA, or EU devs doing something similar etc.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
You seem to be concerned about a lot of Sony games... and why did you have to through in TLOU2 stuff? It's like talking about spoilers without talking about them.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Nope, they even got japanese people helping with the japanese VA to nail the "ancient japonese" right. They do care about getting it right, and that's enough for me.

Edit: Nvm, I read the OP again. lol

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, as explained by Toumari.

Also your take on HZD is completely wrong. The game explains why and how the tribes are the way they are and why they use the terminology they do. It has nothing to do with that you've said.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll be a little bit inauthentic, but nothing that will be noticeable to most people.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why some folks are bashing the OP. It's a valid concern, even if it doesn't turn out to be true when the game releases.

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
This thread OP gives me these vibes all over:
e0hypbwr8e411.jpg

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Please let's never compare the other games you listed to the travesty that is Detroit.

That shit heap stands on a monumental pillar of its own.
This is true but Horizon is a major culprit of this in a different way.
You seem to be concerned about a lot of Sony games...
I know it's not a "sony" thing and I guess I should have worded it better. I've been playing through Horizon and it's very cringy in a whole different way than Deroit.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Sucker Punch just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with weeb culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.