• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't research this that much to avoid spoilers but AngryJoe is preparing video about it and I saw it mentioned on Twitter few other times.

And of course avoid comments.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Maybe don't spend hours creating a video discussing leaks that have been illegally uploaded?

Edit: Thought it contains videos of the leak so yeah Sony's being a bit heavy handed here.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't spend hours creating a video discussing leaks that have been illegally uploaded?
As long as they aren't putting up footage they should be free to talk about whatever the hell they want.

Sony are completely in the wrong. They don't own a copyright on people's discussion.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
If I recall they did something similar when No Man's Sky leaked? I could be remembering incorrectly.
Shit is out there, Sony can't just ban people from talking about it. What are they? The chinese government? DMCA takedown are supposed to be used in regards to copyrighted materials, not people having a fucking discussion.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why do so many companies almost always resort to these heavy handed tactics when they are going through a PR storm? Abusing the DMCA system to prevent people from even talking about the leaks is wrong, and Sony deserve being dragged through the mud for doing so.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If I recall they did something similar when No Man's Sky leaked? I could be remembering incorrectly.

Shit is out there, Sony can't just ban people from talking about it. What are they? The chinese government? DMCA takedown are supposed to be used in regards to copyrighted materials, not people having a fucking discussion.
Sony still doesn't have right to issue DMCA takedown for talking about it because copyright content is not used.
People can talk about things
Yeah, that's not how it works. Sony can not legally order people not to talk about it.
As long as they aren't putting up footage they should be free to talk about whatever the hell they want.

Sony are completely in the wrong. They don't own a copyright on people's discussion.

Oh my bad I thought the video contain the leaks, instead of just a talking head. Yeah if it's just talking about it, don't see the problem.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I've seen multiple people claiming that this is happening, but have yet to see any specific names of content creators being affected this way. Anyone got actual sources?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That's dumb, it's not like they're showing the leaks. I guess they should takedown Giant Bomb's podcast since they talked about it.

But, it also seems like it's going to be the Streisand Effect, good job Sony.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that won't cause a spike in the leaks again, and people sharing them more subtly.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's ridiculous. This goes into some dangerous territory really, and makes it hard to sympathise with the company at all if they are prepared to use such a heavy-handed approach.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen multiple people claiming that this is happening, but have yet to see any specific names of content creators being affected this way. Anyone got actual sources?

As I said I didn't dig that deep because I am avoiding spoilers but if someone who saw them already is willing to dig deeper and post findings (spoiler free) here I will threadmark it and include in OP.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait till the game releases and all this is out for good. Until something else gets leaked and people start eating that up.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Any examples of videos taken down without showing any videos/pics from the leak? I'm not watching angry joe video when it contains spoilers.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's fair. Look at AngryJoe's new video thumbnail, dude basically gave away the expectation for the game from that image alone.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why do so many companies almost always resort to these heavy handed tactics when they are going through a PR storm? Abusing the DMCA system to prevent people from even talking about the leaks is wrong, and Sony deserve being dragged through the mud for doing so.

Well they obviously don't want the spoilers to spread further around and contacting every single content creator to ask them not to do it will take more time than there's left until the release.

Abusing YouTubes copyright system is most efficient, albeit scummy, thing to do in that case.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they don't issue a DMCA takedown for the Last of Us 2 Spoiler thread on this forum.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know when Atlus does this people usually just complained about it.

Why? All they wanted to do is stop people from being spoiled?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I get it, this seems a bit extreme, but I also have a hard time having any sort of compassion or empathy for the YouTubers that thrive on this shit. Angry Joe isn't usually one of those, although he's a dumb ass for other reasons.

You know when Atlus does this people usually just complained about it.

Why? All they wanted to do is stop people from being spoiled?

These situations aren't the same.

Imagine Microsoft doing this. The outrage would be huge. But it's Sony now, so it's cool and fair:

I think you meant to type gamefaqs.com.

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk though, who cares. Why support content creators that promote and spread spoilers from something illegally leaked online, aim to damage the game's perception, AND profit off it? Bunch of attention seeking leeches. Fuck em.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
AngryJoe openly talks about spoilers in his video and of course his followers are running behind him with 'SJWs ruined the game!' So stupid.

I hope he gets DMCA'd ASAP.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Sony damage control mode, few youtubers have said if the leaks are real they want no part of this game...

Status
Not open for further replies.