• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This is on the front page of Reddit.

BLM Protestors Beat Man and Woman After They Attempt to Prevent Robbery. Unconscious Man Kicked and Beaten

I realize that half the country was not supportive anyway. I realize that a lot of Reddit is very conservative or flat out alt-right and racist. But Reddit front page has been fairly progressive.

The comments are floods of people saying they've started to change their mind on BLM, hundreds of people saying this.

I don't think this is a "it's Reddit, ignore it" thing. I see these responses on Era whenever folks bring up similar issues (ie Facebook turning into a QAnon propaganda machine). It's the front page of a website that people use every single day.

Friends of mine have been beaten by neo Nazis and arrested by cops for peacefully protesting (literally riding bikes and standing still holding signs). This issue still matters. It's going to be a long fight.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People have been saying they are nothing but violent thugs since the protest started, its nothing new.
Lots of "i don't agree with racism but the protests are so violent and unnecessary!"

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit has a very vocal crowd of racists, alt-right types, and bots who love to go in and shit up every thread about this topic, so I'm not sure if I would use reddit comments as a good measure of public opinion.

Sometimes these threads make it to the front page too just because of spam or algorithm-based bullshit, so I wouldn't put any weight on the fact that it made it to the front page either.

If public opinion is turning, I'd look to other news articles first. Reddit sometimes quite confidently puts up stuff that's quite far from the truth.

I sure hope it isn't, of course.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
They have to stay for the long fight, and endure every backlash they face if they want to see changes.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
There were a lot of opportunistic people who claimed they supported BLM in order to fit in with the masses but were waiting for the first moment that something "bad" happened tangentially related to it so they can immediately claim that BLM had gone too far and feel they have the moral high ground in dismissing it.

These were never actually BLM supporters.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I'm pretty sure that particular subreddit attracts alot of racists and those who want to discredit the BLM movement.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't true a place that hosted The Donald, Coontown, and other racist havens as a barometer on anything concerning race

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I think that "actualpublicfreakouts" sub reddit seemed like... eh focused on the kind of videos you'd expect somebody who watches Fox News to see. Maybe it's just something I noticed, but every time I've seen a post on the popular section, it's always something equivalent to "black guy seemingly attacks white person with no context" then in the comments, you see what you'd expect to see from a video like that.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
lol be sure the click on that link's op's profile and look at their posting history

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We don't find that this thread meets our sourcing guidelines for sensitive topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.