• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

January 2019 Direct - Yes or No?

• Yes!

Votes: 425 79.3%
  • No...

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • Yes, but no one cares about Fire Emblem

Votes: 69 12.9%
  • No, but of course there's gonna be one in anotter month

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
So, it's that time of the year. January became a pretty important month for Nintendo in the last few years. We had Directs in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 (Mini) and the Switch event in 2017.

While last year there was...well, some hype in here, this time the situation seems pretty calm on the horizon even though 2019 is going to be twelve months of big releases for Nintendo and the Nintendo Switch (Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi, Daemon X Machina, the Final Fantasy series, Smash DLCs and maybe Metroid among others).

One of the reasons why this January seems a bit silent could be the Metroid Prime Trilogy accident from the TGAs, where some insiders predicted the announcement that never came (maybe for a change of plans or other reasons we don't know). After that, we basically didn't see any hints for new Nintendo/Nintendo Directs announcements by the people who usually have a foot, or at least a finger, in the industry.

So what do you think Era? Is there going to be a January Direct? Is this the calm before the storm? Is this the calm before the freaking nothing?

Is Phantom Thief the one and only Hype Master?

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, almost certainly. Possibly next Thursday (the 10th) I would guess given recent precedents.

Nov 13, 2017
I would love one! I had no idea there was a Luigi's Mansion 3. That's exciting.

I'm very curious to see the new Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing games.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
xBmbOcq.gif

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Almost definitely. We need dates filling in for the rest of Q4 past NSMBUD, as well as a general shape of the next financial year.

Not saying it'll be huge, but I'm fairly sure we'll get one.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
They've done a Direct in January right after the holidays as a taste of what's to come almost every year.

It's practically E3 Spring and Summer edition.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
No lol not a main one at least maybe another mini for sure. But I think this is PlayStation Month tbh.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
January lineup is very solid with Travis Strikes Again, SMITE, Tales of Vesperia, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Dragon Marked for Death.

But we have only a general idea of what's coming in the following months, with big games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, Fire Emblem Three Houses still without a release date.

So my money goes to a Direct near the end of January or first week of Feburary.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo better give me Metroid information by the end of January or I'm mailing a flaming Chibi-Robo to Reggie's office.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
This thread is going to get locked, isn't it ? There is a 99% chance that it becomes a "is there a january nintendo direct" 2.0 (but to be fair, we need a thread to stay contained)

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
We're expecting a Nintendo Direct from the second the last one ends to the moment the next one starts.

But yeah, a lot of already announced titles need more info and concrete release dates. A January Direct should help with that.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Seems likely and I can't wait to hear more about fire emblem. Also, we have no idea what February and March are gonna look like so I want to see what's that gonna be.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
it's kind of a given at this point, the real question is what they'll show

my guess is it'll be relatively minor reveals and dates, with maybe one bombshell capping it off. If I get Final Fantasy + Piranha Plant dates, I'll be satisfied.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
January 10th is my guess, they still haven't detailed any of the NES games coming for January and beyond. Those typically release around the 10th of each month.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It usually happens so yeah.

But will NintendoERA become extremely impatient for one like last year?

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda expect them to save Fire Emblem to the FE Expo in may i think? But we need to know more about Yoshi and maybe some new port/release.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible, but I see no real evidence to believe in one just because last year, there was that EA leak that led to an actual possibility of one. Granted it was a Mini and not a full Direct, but still it was something.

Oct 30, 2017
I think we will get a Direct after NSMBU Deluxe releases but still in the January. Basically the 3rd or 4th week in January

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There must be one coming within the next week or so. The Switch line up for the next 3-4 months is a complete mystery, and I'm still convinced Fire Emblem will be a spring title again, so they at least need to start making noise about that.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
There must be one coming within the next week or so. The Switch line up for the next 3-4 months is a complete mystery, and I'm still convinced Fire Emblem will be a spring title again, so they at least need to start making noise about that.
Not really, we getting NSMBUD,Yoshi and Fire Emblem within them months and probably 1 or 2 more ports.

How so compared to any other month? I really doubt Nintendo gives a shit who else is doing what this month if they have announcements to make.
They can still do one of course but I doubt they go out all this month so im thinking its another mini and main one follow up in early Feb.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
We still have no idea what the February game is so there will be most certainly a Direct this month.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Please give me Fire Emblem. Not knowing any major details about this game has been killing me inside lol. I just wanna know if we can still customize our own character and play matchmaker!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, it's that time of the year. January became a pretty important month for Nintendo in the last few years. We had Directs in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 (Mini) and the Switch event in 2017.

While last year there was...well, some hype in here, this time the situation seems pretty calm on the horizon even though 2019 is going to be twelve months of big releases for Nintendo and the Nintendo Switch (Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi, Daemon X Machina, the Final Fantasy series, Smash DLCs and maybe Metroid among others).

One of the reasons why this January seems a bit silent could be the Metroid Prime Trilogy accident from the TGAs, where some insiders predicted the announcement that never came (maybe for a change of plans or other reasons we don't know). After that, we basically didn't see any hints for new Nintendo/Nintendo Directs announcements by the people who usually have a foot, or at least a finger, in the industry.

So what do you think Era? Is there going to be a January Direct? Is this the calm before the storm? Is this the calm before the freaking nothing?

Is Phantom Thief the one and only Hype Master?
you too need to learn that Nintendo Direct speculation threads get locked within minutes

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Is there some sort of rumor about this going on or are people just saying it will happen because it happened before?

Status
Not open for further replies.