• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how will it work? Will I be able to use my digital right to play RDR2 on the PS5, or is it only going to work with physical copies?

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Given that so much of the player base uses the digital format currently, that would be a HUGE slap in the face to them if they didn't. The BC is going to work for digital or physical

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe people are still asking this question after they confirmed BC... Of course they will work the same as physical.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If P.T is somehow possible...
463326135883923478.png

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Could you imagine if ps4 disc are backwards compatible but digital ps4 games aren't, lol. The most backwards move ever.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
You have to pay Sony $25 and Mark Cerny comes to your house, gives you a disc, and calls you a sucker.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They are the same thing. The disc is completely installed on the HDD. It's only a dumb DRM check.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Lots of PSN games already had digital cross buy during the PS3-PS4 transition. BC will only make that easier.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Which is not every single 360 game, they are always adding more over time. So it makes me wonder if BC on PS5 Will be all titles out the gate or just a select few with that number growing over time.
I wasn't referring to the library but rather the process.
BC for PS4 to PS5 will be for all titles since the architecture from PS4 to PS5 is the same, this is how it'll be for next Xbox too wherein all Xbox One titles (and by extension all bc supported Xbox and Xbox 360 titles) will be supported on next Xbox. The reason why 360/Xbox to Xbox One is a limited and staggered release is because of architectural differences leading to making sure their Xbox/Xbox 360 emulator runs the game fine.

With PS4 to PS5 and Xbox One to next Xbox there is no emulation needed.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Both physical and digital media will be BC. There would be a veritable shitstorm if they left either of these consumer groups high and dry.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If it's physical only the decision would be on "Worse moments in gaming" lists

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
There is no real difference between digital and physical in terms of how it's handled on the console, you're installing all of it regardless. The disc is just there for DRM.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This was likely the plan from the conception of the PS4. It will be very unlikely that a game doesn't function on PS5, regardless of format.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it will. Part of the reason you do BC is so the PS5 essentially sells it self to those already invested in the ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.