• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you for or against freedom of speech?

• Yes, I am for freedom of speech.

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • No, I am against freedom of speech.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am against it in its current firm.

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the title asks. I'm not going to bias anything with my opinions in the OP. Please share your views though.

Edit:to be clear I mean as far as the 1st amendment goes. Does it need an overhaul?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wtf does freedom of speech even mean
If that means you're allowed to promote nazism then fuck that version of freedom of speech.

Sep 12, 2018
To quote something I just saw in another thread:
I like Hbomberguy's take on free speech

Q: In all seriousness I would love to hear you say you support free speech. You never have said it​
A: Boy howdy do I love free speech. I use it every day. Free speech is very good.​
I don't talk about free speech very often because I think I can support my ideas a little better than 'well technically i have a RIGHT to say this!'
If my ideas were really shitty and hard to defend I guess I'd photoshop some tape over my mouth and pretend someone was trying to silence me, that seems like the trick. I'll keep that one in my back pocket for when I become a racist​

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like answering this is a trap. Real freedom of speech yes.

Garbage shit like "I'm a nazi but you shouldn't be able to ban me from your social media or YouTube's"...NO

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The best things in life are of balanced.

Freedom of speech is good of course....but uncontrolled freedom of speech? That will be literally anarchy with no order.

I all for having some sort of moderation where the moderator is an AI powered by a neural network of machine learning algorithms.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Depends. Should nazis get to spew their bullshit? Should it be allowed to threaten and harass other people? I'd bet most people draw a line somewhere.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Define Freedom of Speech, cause there's nuance to what is considered free speech. I do not support the United State's definition of free speech, as it allows hate groups to organize and spread hateful propaganda which always leads to the death of innocent lives.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
What in the ever living fuck is this? Of course, yes.

First Amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The GOVERNMENT itself will not limit one's freedom of speech.

I think that people sometimes get confused. Corporations, LLCs, etc., are free to ban shitheads like Milo, Alex Jones, etc., because they spew hate speech. Corporations are not the government.

I DO think that hate speech should not be tolerated, even by the government, but that requires a Constitutional amendment, which basically requires a miracle nowadays.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I am 100% for Freedom of Speech. But here is the handy guide for those who forever make the same fucking mistake when it comes to Freedom of Speech and its meaning.

free_speech.png

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You have to define freedom of speech. We do not have true, completely open freedom of speech in the United States and arguably some things should be restricted based on the potential outcome that some speech can have.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
The phrase 'freedom of speech' doesn't mean anything and doesn't exist anywhere in the world. Blasphemy, threats to the government, threats to other people, verbal abuse etc, none of these are universally permitted.

Try harder.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The poll needs more options. This isn't a binary choice.

Very few people are for complete free speech. Even those who constantly complain about "muh freeze peach" when people call them out on their bullshit have their limits.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes. You should be allowed to say whatever you want but that also mean you have live with the consequences.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
the term "alt-left" is the most egregious bullshit in the world, creating a false equivalency where there is none. The "extreme" ideas of the left are a more even distribution of wealth, tolerance, affordable or free healthcare and education, while the alt-right wants to establish kleptocracies and burn all the jews and muslims to death.

miss us with this bad faith shit OP.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very loaded poll with these binary options for such a complex issue.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm for the freedom of speech.

Except the peculiar thing about freedoms and rights afforded to human beings is that they end where equivalent freedoms and rights (or those of equivalent importance) of others begin.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the term "alt-left" is the most egregious bullshit in the world, creating a false equivalency where there is none. The "extreme" ideas of the left are a more even distribution of wealth, tolerance, affordable or free healthcare and education, while the alt-right wants to establish kleptocracies and burn all the jews and muslims to death.

miss us with this bad faith shit OP.
Thank you. Anyone that uses the term "alt-left" doesn't deserve the time of day. You know exactly what shitty opinion they're going to have. Such as making this dumb thread.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Freedom of speech as in not being put into prison for it by the state. But in a private context, people are allowed to throw you out of there non-public homes, organizations or platforms.

But there should always be some restriction on hate speech, since there isn't anything worth protecting there and it always tries to undermine the rights of others. I like our rules in Germany, but they should be enforce stronger in the public online space.

OP
OP
tommy7154

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What options can be added to the poll?

For example of craziness that was tolerated in the US (by the government) , the Westboro Baptist Church made "God hates fags" signs and if I'm remembering right they protested at a gay person's funeral. Is that OK with anyone?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for it, as long as it's not pure hate or selling bullshit as "science".

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am hard against freedom of speech and anyone who outwardly supports it.

Fuck you.

All of you.

What you wan't isn't free speech. What you want is freedom of consequences. Neither of which, by the way, any of us ever actually had. You just want to dead name/ misgender people or say nigger/faggot/jew without any repercussion. This slippery slope picture yall always try to paint as being a consequence of hate speech laws is a stupid hypothetical that always ignores the fact that we would have the courts that could determine whether or not a hate speech violation is just.

Most of the freespeech fuckwits just want their speech to trample over the speech of others. They ultimately want the government to force platforms to have them. They call this the marketplace of ideas and they always extol the virtues of giving everything a platform and letting the audience decide for themselves whether or not an idea is valid. This isn't free speech. This is just a means to protect bigots and their shills. Nothing more. So I say again... fuck you.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean I have to agree, listen, or treat you the same.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
You can say whatever the hell you want. But don't expect freedom of consequence. Hateful shits needs to be called out. Everyone who leans on that is an asshole or racist who just wants to say f***** up things without fear of reproach.

And yet, they're the first people to complain when a POC starts talking about white privilege.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a piece of advice. I don't hink ERA is the place for you. You'll save everyone, including yourself, a lot of time if you just leave instead of making disingenuous threads.

Oct 25, 2017
What options can be added to the poll?

For example of craziness that was tolerated in the US (by the government) , the Westboro Baptist Church made "God hates fags" signs and if I'm remembering right they protested at a gay person's funeral. Is that OK with anyone?

That's hate speech, I'm super against that.

Fuck religious bigotry in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.