• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More or LessWorried

• More - They seem to be dropping the ball

Votes: 67 34.2%
  • Less- I am cool with what it seems like they are doing

Votes: 40 20.4%
  • Need more info to decide

Votes: 89 45.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has been fairly unclear about their backwards compatibility plans and the presentation yesterday did not really help matters. It certainly seems like we are going to need to buy new copies of Spider-Man and GTA 5 (after the free period) in order to get the enhancements which were discussed. In addition, the way the Destiny 2 announcement is worded, it makes it sound like upgrading to the PS5 version is something they are having to put a special workaround in place to accommodate. This is in stark contrast to how Microsoft is handling things with free upgrades to 4k60 and smart delivery. Are you worried, like me, that Sony is going to try to charge us for PS5 copies of older games in order to get the updates?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be fine. I'm expecting the vast majority of PS4 games to be back compat, which is bare minimum. I wish they would put in the work to at least make the digital PS1/2 classics playable as well, but that doesn't seem to be Sony's priority.

If legacy content is truly a big priority, Series X looks like it has a more solid offering, which is fine. They'll each have their own strengths.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The situation is a bit nebulous although we have some tentative confirmation. We know a lot of PS4 games have been tested and work on it. But it could be a PS2 Classics situation in the worst case scenario. Hopefully you can just pop the disc in and it will work.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda worried. I'm more worried about the smaller titles being playable on ps5. GTA V and Control getting ported doesn't concert me too much. I figure games that can be enhanced with ray tracing will get ported at some point.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
There is still an August event but with many of the games shown (so far) being 2021 and beyond I have to assume BC will be pretty robust

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I really don't feel like I have enough information, and that's coming from someone that will surely buy PS5 day 1 and has the majority of my 3rd party catalogue on PS4.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
That free Astro Bot game includes four main worlds, all based on the different PlayStation home consoles (PS1/2/3/4).

Probably not worth reading into too much, but ahhhhhh... y'know.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
No more no less, since it was not part of the communication in yersterday's event.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The whole point of the conference was for next-gen games being the reason to get a PlayStation 5

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda worried. I'm more worried about the smaller titles being playable on ps5. GTA V and Control getting ported doesn't concert me too much. I figure games that can be enhanced with ray tracing will get ported at some point.
But if we have to pay for those ports to get the new features, is that really backwards compatibility? I guess that is the heart of my question.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I have a feeling they are going to push selling remasters over enhanced backward compatibility.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It certainly seems like we are going to need to buy new copies of Spider-Man and GTA 5 ?

Nha, they already explained how its going to be, could be better but PS4 is enough for me. But I wish back compat with ps3 was real, I wish
Spider-Man we do not have certainly(yet) and GTAV is on R*. So nothing to be concerned, I think, they should give more information tho.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You do know GTAV and Destiny 2 are in the same situation with XSX?

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
The Spider-Man: Miles Morales definitely seems to point to some weirdness. Xbox Smart Delivery means my Xbox One games get a free enhanced upgrade for Series X. But potentially having to pay $60 for an enhanced Spider-Man version seems off compared to Xbox's offering.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Sony are bringing the games so they don't need backwards compatibility, it would sure be nice, but they don't need it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really trust Sony when it comes to this stuff. Atm I can't see them having their own version of smart delivery and that's disappointing.

May 19, 2020
Not enough info to decide. That said, I am not expecting every PS4 game I own to make the transition over nor should anyone else.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Honestly? I have no idea lol

The GTA is Online free for PS5 screams like: "Sony paid us to have free GTA Online for PS5 and here's 1 million in-game money every month until the game launches".

The fact that they talked about GTA ONLINE and not GTA V is not reassuring as well.

I don't know.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
If my entire PS4 library is not back compatible I will be very disappointed. I'm planning on giving my ps4 away to family as long as the new console can play all of my games.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
You do know GTAV and Destiny 2 are in the same situation with XSX?

On Destiny 2 they specifically say they will use Smart Delivery. I get that the end result is the same but the fact that they have to put a mechanism in place for the user to get an upgrade from PS4 - PS5 implies to me that Sony does not have a system wide feature supporting this in place.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well it definitely seems like they will have the lesser of the two solutions, otherwise they probably would have yelled from the rooftops already, so that's a little worrying I guess. Need more info though. Definitely makes me less likely to invest in their ecosystem if I can't bring all my purchases forward.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not worried, I just assume it won't be great. The PS4 support is probably going to cover the notable stuff but going further back is something I don't think Sony gives a shit about.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
more worried. it's a pretty big deal, and they purposely avoided talking about it yesterday.

there are millions of ps4 owners in this world that would like to just trade up and have all their games enhanced

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
The Jim Ryan interview that just released makes it pretty clear that BC is fine, no worries here. Now as for enhancements to those BC games? Who knows I guess we will learn more about that later, but I'm not really worried about it. The power difference between a Pro and PS5 should brute force some changes like the XSX is but I assume it's up to the developer if they want to do any patch related changes obviously.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same amount of worried. Sony doesn't seem to know what they want to do with BC. We still don't even know if two of the biggest releases this year (tlou2 and ghost) are going to be enhanced on PS5 or not.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On Destiny 2 they specifically say they will use Smart Delivery. I get that the end result is the same but the fact that they have to put a mechanism in place for the user to get an upgrade from PS4 - PS5 implies to me that Sony does not have a system wide feature supporting this in place.
IT'S A F2P GAME WITH DIGITAL LICENSES WHERE SONY HAS CROSSBUY FEATURES ALREADY.

Plum

May 31, 2018
As long as I can just sell my PS4 then I'm fine with it. I don't really care about PS1/2/3 BC since I honestly wouldn't use it in any meaningful way.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely a little concerned. I'm sure it will be mostly fine, but I really don't like this hush on specifics when Microsoft has already shown their hand months prior.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I really dont want old games at a conference to promote new gen, hell I still say BW is only useful for the first year of a console to help pad out the launch as its normally got less games because its new. Once that year is over there is less reason to go back. I havent touched my ps3 since ps4 launched.

May 19, 2020
Destiny 2 has an impetus to keep people on the hamster wheel hence a free upgrade to the client. It remains to be seen if Sony will have a system in place or not but I don't think Destiny is some great proof of one thing or another.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If I cant move my digital library from PS4 to PS5 I'll just get it at a later date, I'm not interested in double dipping on games I already bought.

They didn't say anything about it yesterday and that's concerning to say the least.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, nothing about any of that stuff yesterday was any different from what they have said- it's going to be backwards compatable with PS4, and your PS4 games are going to work on it. It seems like they aren't doing what Microsoft is- where they are going to do work to these games and make them better and free- but you are still going to be able to play your older games

The only thing is that if you believed the rumors that this would be BC with PS1-PS2-PS3, the fact that there is one that you can't put your discs into probably squashed that.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I really dont want old games at a conference to promote new gen, hell I still say BW is only useful for the first year of a console to help pad out the launch as its normally got less games because its new. Once that year is over there is less reason to go back. I havent touched my ps3 since ps4 launched.

I disagree. Getting to play through the old Gears games with enhanced graphics and frame rate before Gears 5 was a blast. Especially since it didn't cost me anything.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This cnet interview and jim dodging the disc version has me thinking there is a catch (digital only?).

Status
Not open for further replies.