• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

On board with State of Play yet?

• Always was

Votes: 58 21.3%
  • Yes!

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • They're fine, still not great

Votes: 108 39.7%
  • They're okay, but I want live conferences back

Votes: 30 11.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 16.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I asked this after the last State of Play too, but given how hype this newest one was, with some actual major, exciting announcements, I want to know if you are now on board with the State of Play format.

I do think it has some rough edges Sony needs to sand out (such as spoiling announcements in thumbnails), but those are now minor details. Largely, I feel that State of Play as a format has come into its own, and I would like to see Sony stick with it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should give up on it but the presentation still needs way too much work. We've had what, 4 SoPs this year? It feels like they could cut those down to half.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think this one would've been amazing if RE3 hadn't leaked. But your direct shouldn't depend on one single reveal.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah, they're fine enough. I like info dumps like that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This one was great, but i honestly rather they just return to conferences, i dont like these being 20 minutes each

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Today's was decent but very short. Decent because the games shown looked good but nothing too interesting about them was shown. Every Nintendo direct feels like there is meat to the content. I can't even remember all of the games show and I just finished watching the video 30 min ago. Literally, I remember RE3, Ghosts, Predator, and some game with a whale in a tube which I'm not even sure they had a name for.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think this one would've been amazing if RE3 hadn't leaked. But your direct shouldn't depend on one single reveal.
It's going to vary by person, but personally KH3 Re:Mind was almost just as big, and more info on the next Square-Platinum project post NieR is definitely substantial news as well. Not to mention the updates on three existing first party games.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
This State of Play was kind of ruined by the RE 3 leak, but if they can get announcements on that level then they should be pretty good.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
They're alright, but I'm hoping that by the time the PS5 is announced, Sony will revert back to its reliance on live conferences, aka E3, TGS, PGW and PSX. These videos just don't do it for me like a live event.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're getting there, but they need to offer their viewers something to play immediately after the conference. That's what makes Nintendo Directs good, every one that isn't focused on one title has something that you can play immediately after it ends, whether it's a demo, dlc, or a game. That quick turnaround is a big part of getting consumers engaged ahead of and after the event.

I think the lack of a distinct personality or identity is also an issue. What they have now, particularly what we saw today, feels distinctly like a Nintendo direct copycat rather than being its own thing.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
No idea

Completely forgot about it

Don't really have the patience to watch these type of shows - better to read the highlights about it on sites like gematsu

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
They're fine, but really need to find their own identity now.

Oct 1, 2019
The RE3 leak really ruined this last one for me. In terms of content and presentation, it was ok. It's the end of the generation anyway so there's not that much to announce.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're really not good, mostly repeating content. Lets see next year, but i didnt even bother watching, i dont have any interest in VR, and apart from LoU, there's nothing interesting (dont care for Sucker Punch games). I dont think they've ever announced anything new (Sony related) either. With live events at least you know there's a chance for a big announcement, dont feel that way about SoP.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should just do away with them and find another format.

Just drop the trailers and info all at once and preferably before it all leaks.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They're fine. Personally I'd like to see interviews with the devs, more in-depth looks etc. Some of the games really deserve it. Basically something half-way between a State of Play and an Inside Xbox.

As an example, Babylon's Fall really didn't look too hot at all. Which was disappointing given I've been so excited to see more of it since its announcement last year. But perhaps with the director of the game briefly introducing it and explaining what makes it unique, might have sold me on it more. Doesn't need to go on and on, just a small bite-sized interview or something.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
They're fine but still not near the level of the Directs.

Course, it doesn't help that a lot seems to leak

banter

Jan 12, 2018
They've finally taken Nintendo's format (quick burst of info from game to game), which is good, now they just need better announcements. This was definitely their best so far though. RE3 and Ghost of Tsushima were their big things but RE3 had been leaked weeks ago and ghost of Tsushima was a whole bunch of nothing because it is really meant for the game awards.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean the duplication of Nintendo's presentation style has kinda made the shortcomings only more apparent.

Sony's cadence is still kinda charmless, and there's never this feeling that they could drop something out of left-field from internal teams. Sony's internal culture doesn't really evoke some nostalgic legacy, or rather they don't mine it in interesting ways, and even so, they're holding back a bunch of shit for next-gen so...

As for this last one, nearly all the games were known about save for Platinum's next thing, but even the trailer for that wasn't great at building some surprise. Like, they literally announced it with "Square and Platinum bring you _____. Here is a trailer." Really, Platinum's logo should've been the thing to capture your attention.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say yes I am. They aren't amazing but they've gotten better for sure.

I imagine they will get better once the PS5 is out and there's a whole generation of content to work with rather than a console that's over 6 years old.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Man, you really do make a lot of threads!

I was always on board with Sony copying the excellent Nintendo method. My only problem is Sony hasn't put out a SoP on par with a Direct yet. I'd also think it would benefit Sony to have indie specific SoP like Nintendo does. Instead of having indies and the big boy stuff sharing space. Does anyone remember what else came before Resident Evil 3 and GoT?

I was kind of shocked how long it took for someone to make a Babylon's Fall thread.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think Sony need to have at least 1 longer info drop on their list of announcement. Currently they're just showing a bunch of 2-3 minute trailer in succession.

What I think they need is for at least 1 title to have longer 7-8 minute of longer gameplay demo, or developer talking about the game etc. That will make the format feel more complete imo.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always was with them an Nintendo Directs. I hate the stupid conference stage shows, award shows etc. Just give me the trailers, release dates etc. in as quick an efficient a format as possible. Not some bloated show and having to wait to get news a few times a year rather than when things are ready to be announced, shown etc.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think how effective that RE3 reveal could have been if it hadn't been leaked beforehand, but that's not the fault of the State Of Play itself.

They're definitely improving, but they're still not there yet. A brief teaser of Ghost of Tsushima leading to the Game Awards doesn't strike me as a great idea, because it doesn't work as a reveal - we already know about the game and have already seen a bit of gameplay - and it doesn't - as far as I'm aware - give us any more information about the story, it's literally just a pointer to "go here for the real news". It's not been in limbo for quite long enough for me to simply get excited about the acknowledgement that it still exists.

As for the other games; a selection of quite interesting things, which helps. It's hard for me to get too excited about the KH DLC, but I'll completely concede that that's largely because I'm a long way behind on the series - the last title in the sequence I played being 358/2 days - so I've got some catching up to do before that's relevant to me. I really wasn't feeling the VR title, and I'm not quite sure why; I think it had a bit of a 'tech demo' feel to it; beautiful and alien, but hard to establish the concept of the game beyond 'watching something beautiful and alien'; it's a wee bit "early reveal of No Man's Sky" in that respect, but there's ample time to build on that.

Dreams is looking more and more intriguing whenever I see it, but it - indeed, most of these games - are always going to have a little bit of a stigma of "...do I really want this game on PS4" hanging over it; again, though, that's not the fault of the format as much as it is the timing.

I think that's a big elephant in the room here; it's hard to get too excited over big games because the context we'd need to think about them could change wildly in the next twelve months. The smaller and more indie titles do look quite exciting, although they could have done with rather more "Available Now!" things (and maybe less emphasis on "Available to preorder Now!", but that's the nature of the modern industry); I think the only one there was Untitled Goose Game, and I've already played that.

I'm a little surprised - in part after last State Of Play - that the didn't take a moment to make an announcement about upcoming Playstation Plus titles; it strikes me that briefly underlining "Hey, and here's what persistent Playstation loyalty will get you" would help a viewer feel involved in the ecosystem. Of course, this may depend somewhat on what they have available in the pipeline for PS+!

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're really not good, mostly repeating content. Lets see next year, but i didnt even bother watching, i dont have any interest in VR, and apart from LoU, there's nothing interesting (dont care for Sucker Punch games). I dont think they've ever announced anything new (Sony related) either. With live events at least you know there's a chance for a big announcement, dont feel that way about SoP.
They literally just announced a game lol

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
conferences are king if done right. iirc PSX2017 was pure hype, they need to get back to that.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
The format works. The content is lacking. Leaks killed this one, which may have been good without them.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I am 100% on board. I love the format and Sony has improved it with each one. People need to understand this is the end of the generation they aren't going to drop some megaton bomb in a 20 minute direct like when their entire focus right now is on PS5 outside of GoT and TLoU 2. Regardless love the format, loved the show today even with the leaks.

I still want conferences for hardware and megaton's but stuff like what they showed today is perfect for a quick State of Play.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I've always liked them. They're good for the little announcements that they're intended for. You're not going to hold a conference to say, "Hey we're releasing Untitled Goose Game and we have a full release date for Dreams". It's a really nice spotlight for the smaller titles that don't necessarily get that attention.

Some people have had unrealistic expectations for what State of Play should be. Maybe that's because people are really thirsty for that Sony news, considering they've skipped holding big conferences until the PS5 reveal. But chill out and enjoy these things for what they are.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
yes, i love the format and the hype surrounding it.

this last one was very weak but it's worth it to have.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They're fine. They are little info dumps, not blowout conferences. Like others have said, the leak ruined the RE3 surprise. They said they are still taking feedback so I expect it to still be a work in progress into next year. I do like the format though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to see a face. But I don't mind.

Actually, with the brief message from Kutaragi at the end, I wonder if that's a direction they're thinking of moving further in; often with a Direct you'll get the headlines for smaller titles (and often not that much smaller!), but have the deep dives and high-profile titles introduced with a live video of a presenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.