• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
It's a given that PS5 will support HDMI 2.1, this opens never before seen possibilities for games:

• HDR+4K+60FPS
  • HDR+120FPS OR
  • HDR+8K30 AND/OR
  • Ray Traced Remasters

At least for PS3 games, I expect some 8K games:
8K Motorstorm
8K MGS4
8K Killzone 2
4K60 Bloodborne

How about ray traced half remakes?

I think we're gonna see some crazy things next gen!

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would just settle for them making 60 FPS a standard across the board. Let developers pick and choose what resolution they think they can hit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd expect that kind of thing in a patch, like games got for PS4 Pro.

Sony actually had a policy preventing people for charging for PS4 Pro upgrades.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I would just settle for them making 60 FPS a standard across the board. Let developers pick and choose what resolution they think they can hit.
This so much, I couldn't give less of a shit about 4 or 8k. The ramofications of a fast ssd and 60fps is the real gamechanger as it affects gameplay and design.

Slash SeveN

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be satisfied with games running at 60 FPS, and don't even expect that for anything with ray tracing.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nobody ever needs 8K in anything.
If they really focus on this nonsense than I definitely know who I support next gen.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
None of this is happening.

People really need to read up on RTX, it's getting fucking tiring.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Ray tracing requires more powerful hardware than what the PS5 will have. I don't know why Cerny brought it up.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
8k in PS5 will be the same as 4k in base PS4 as said last gen. It just means they will support the HDMI standard but it will not really be able to output it in games.

8K is four times the amount of pixels of 4k (twice the size in both directions). It probably wont happen on base PS5/NextBox

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
There is absoutely no way it's going to be powerful enough to play PS4 games at 8k/120 with hardware based RT. That's insane, how much more powerful do you think the PS5 is going to be than the Xbox One X that can't run many multiplat games from this gen at 4k/30?

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just expecting a native 4k/30fps/raytracing gen. Anything else seems very unrealistic. Hell, i'm not even buying the fact that they got backwards-compatibility yet until they show us that shit for real.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, like maybe Nicalis can release Cave Story yet again for it, and that could probably run at 8k; 8k games would probably have to be around the graphics quality of a switch game, if not less

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
8K, 120 FPS Ray traced remasters won't happen at all on next gen, I'm 100% sure about that. We might finally get 4k 60fps, even that might be a pipedream, depending how much devs want to go with ray tracing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
How many people are actually reading the OP?

I don't think the OP expects all these things together. He/She outlined different, seemingly mutually exclusive options.

They're not expecting 8K/120fps/RT all in one package.

OP
OP
Segafreak

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
8K, 120 FPS Ray traced remasters won't happen at all on next gen, I'm 100% sure about that. We might finally get 4k 60fps, even that might be a pipedream, depending how much devs want to go with ray tracing.
Not all at once, but I'm expecting a variety, a flavor of ray traced remasters, a few at 8K, some aiming 4K60 etc.

edit: I forgot to add VR Remasters too.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
8K on PS5 will be like 1080p on PS3. I'm ready for the rest though. Hoping for hardware accelerated RT so it can be meaningful. 120hz output would be good for less graphically intensive games with focus on fast paced action.

Ray traced remasters would be my literal dream but implementing that would mean drastic changes to the renderer, so it may not be feasible in most cases. Considering Spider Man was mentioned in the Wired article though, I think the chances of that getting a raytracing implementation are pretty high. They're probably using it as a testbed for next-gen tech.

People saying we won't get raytraced games at 8k 120fps need to read the OP. He describes the individual scenarios that are possible.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
We're not getting games natively rendered at 8K. Rendering that many pixels is extremely resource intensive for a gain over native 4K that just isn't worth it (especially if you've got a good AA solution running on top of your 4K output).

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
😂 that title. You're gonna get a lot of flak OP but I agree that we will see some nice things next gen.

The one thing I hope for is that devs will add more performance and graphics options to their games next gen.

I want to be able to choose between 1080p/120fps to "8k"/30fps and other combinations in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.