• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been a fan of Game of Thrones S8, as I am sure everyone knows by now, but I liked that finale.

All arcs are resolved, each character gets what they deserve, no one is too happy, and it feels like a satisfactory conclusion.

I think the ending is a good one (which makes sense, given Martin's insistence that it is very close to what he told D&D it would be in the books). I feel like this ending would have been more powerful had the preceding episodes not been botched so badly, but in and of itself, this was a good finale.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot disagree more, some of the most important storylines went nowhere. And why is there a nights watch, there is no threat of white walkers!

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
it wasn't a complete disaster, that's all I can say

I'm sure the execution in the books will be much better

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it pretty well for what it was. Can anyone tell me what Jon is doing though? And what Bran is doing with Drogon?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think if you boil the last two seasons down to the basic plot beats - it's a satisfying enough ending. The problem is the show lacked the desire, or ability to earn those beats through natural character development.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the FUCK wouldn't Greyworm kill Jon & Tyrion IMMEDIATELY????????????????????????????????????????

Godawful ending in every way.

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I cannot disagree more, some of the most important storylines went nowhere. And why is there a nights watch, there is no threat of white walkers!

Tyrion said that there will always be a need for a place for the outcast and the bastards to go to.

And I 100% agree OP. That was a great ending.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you boil the last two seasons down to the basic plot beats - it's a satisfying enough ending. The problem is the show lacked the desire, or ability to earn those beats through natural character development.
The problem is exactly this—I am sure Martin will properly earn these beats in the books, the show was too unwilling to do anything other than check the points off a bullet list.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
You can have an opinion without making a thread all the time, aint like any of them are ever good. Because holy shit that ending is bad.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Well everything up to Dany's death was good at least. Her death scene was great, and Kit Harrington probably brought his best acting forward this episode--you can tell he was really broken. It's a shame his character was shackled by "honor" the whole series.

Other half of the episode was fanfic bullshit. The North gets to be on its own because reasons? As if every other nation hasn't already bent the knee to some bullshit? Particularly Dorne? The chances that they'd allow the North to be independent AND stick a Stark on the throne are actually literally zero. George won't write that, or at least not with those houses being present for the decision. And Tyrion even being alive was insulting, much less being listened to and essentially deciding the king for himself given nobody else would have put his name forward. It was fucking dumb. And Greyworm letting both Jon and Tyrion live was dumb as well.

Bran comes off as having known what would happen and basically willingly sacrificed kings landing to get on the throne too. Sequel could easily write itself if George wasn't 70 with two books to still write.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I felt like my dedication and love for the show was thrown into the trash and stabbed and burned with this season.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I'm very satisfied with the ending and the series as a whole.

If and when the books come out it will be a treat to see the ending be the same-people will still be in denial.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It was fucking awful and made no sense. The only good ending was Arya's. And Ghost's because he got much deserved pets.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I'm very satisfied with the ending and the series as a whole.

If and when the books come out it will be a treat to see the ending be the same-people will still be in denial.
I don't think people will be in denial at all. The larger story beats are more than fine, the issue is in the execution of the show versus the books, in that the books are willing to take the time and painstakingly establish the foundation necessary to earn their beats, and the show just... rushes to them.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The end was the worst part of the worst season. At least last week's episode was entertaining. This was just a boring mess.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
This can go in the |OT|, and it doesn't need to be its own thread tbh

I don't see the point of a thread like this when the OT is discussing the exact same thing.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
As with every single storyline this season, I don't mind how it ended up, but how it got there made no sense.

Get ready, Star Wars fans.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And WHY would Jon need to take the black after the Unsullied leave????

They'll never know, just let him go free, even though he'd still choose the black anyway to live with the wildlings, but don't act like it's a sentence.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly am baffled how anyone could post this. This is easily up there with one of the worst endings ever

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
OP your need for attention and validation on this forum is worse than the finale was.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. It was so random, nonsensical and shoehorned .

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yes op, good finale. The first 30 minutes were intense and fantastic.
I really liked the ending and Ghost got the scene he deserved!

Just an incredible story overall.

I'm thankfull.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people will be in denial at all. The larger story beats are more than fine, the issue is in the execution of the show versus the books, in that the books are willing to take the time and painstakingly establish the foundation necessary to earn their beats, and the show just... rushes to them.

While I do agree that this season was rushed along-let's be honest. The most vocal detractors are the ones that didn't like how things ended-regardless. Another season or two wouldn't have made Danny fanatics calm down.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a night's watch. Jon didn't join the Night's Watch, he joined the people beyond the wall. The deal is a sham pretext to trick everyone.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I was satisfied with how it ended. There was some stumbles to get there but it left me ultimately happy and I'll look back at my time with the show as an absolute great one.
There isn't a night's watch. Jon didn't join the Night's Watch, he joined the people beyond the wall. The deal is a sham pretext to trick everyone.

I'm so glad people are smarter than me lol. I just seen it and figured he would just break his vows and stay with them but you're right. There is none. It was all the Free folk. Jon is free. It's actually quite beautiful.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It was rushed as fuck and honestly not really satisfying at all imo, but better than I was expecting and I'm fine with it overall I think.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We went from Jon killing Dany to the series ending with "all matters resolved" in what, 40 minutes? Look, I'm sure this all worked just fine in D&D's delusional minds, but this season was an absolute chokejob.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I do agree that this season was rushed along-let's be honest. The most vocal detractors are the ones that didn't like how things ended-regardless. Another season or two wouldn't have made Danny fanatics calm down.
As someone who's a Dany fan through and through, I have never had an issue with the "Mad Queen" plot as much as I have had with its execution.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seemed like a sensible, logical and coherent ending... without the spadework necessary to really make it land.

This series was so hobbled by its shorter length.

Status
Not open for further replies.