• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Lockhart negatively impact next gen games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
With the recent leak that Lockhart is back from the dead do you guys think that this would negatively impact the scope and/or visuals of next gen games as it is supposed to be much weaker than PS5 and Scarlet?

kotaku.com

Sources: Microsoft Is Still Planning A Cheaper, Disc-Less Next-Gen Xbox

In June, Microsoft announced Project Scarlett, a new iteration of the Xbox that the company said would “set a new bar for console power, speed and performance.” What Microsoft didn’t say is that it is also working on a lower-cost, disc-less version of Scarlett, code-named Lockhart, according to...

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Nov 5, 2017
California
Yes. It would be like if PS3/360 developers had to accommodate a Wii version with every single third party game.

Edit: let me add that this is under the assumption that Lockheart has a significantly weaker GPU and slower CPU as the rumor suggests

Last edited:

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If it is true, and that's strictly if here, there's no way it wouldn't lower it. They would have to code for that lower system. Of course, just how much weaker would matter, as well.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voted yes, although I'm not up to date on the rumors. No disk drive and / or lower clocked gpu or whatever from the same series wouldnt change anything, but if it's cutting costs in other places like cpu absolutely.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It depends on how it's weaker. If it has less RAM and GPU then it probably won't. Its easy enough to scale down textures and resolution.

If it has a weaker CPU, then it absolutely could. One of the biggest things next get is better game systems like AI / economy / concurrent events etc. and that is much harder to scale down.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything solid about it being that much less powerful? I thought it would just be the same without a drive?

xem

Oct 31, 2017
It will be largely invisible because we will be wondering what was without knowing. The only comparison will be direct exclusives to PC and PS4.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
With the recent leak that Lockhart is back from the dead do you guys think that this would negatively impact the scope and/or visuals of next gen games as it is supposed to be much weaker than PS5 and Scarlet?
Yes... unless it's a online-only Project-XCloud running console. I have a feeling it could be a portable device like the Switch. 🤔

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be the baseline, it will be lower than if it was Anaconda or PS5. So, where next-gen games means games that are next-gen only, yes is the only possible answer here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything solid about it being that much less powerful? I thought it would just be the same without a drive?

No there isn't. But you know people need to speculate.

I find it hard to believe Microsoft will release two systems that fit into the same generation of power. Makes no sense to do so.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If the point is to make your platform accessible as possible, including low as you can go pcs, it would be advantageous to lower the baseline.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Console folks who don't know how scalable modern engines can be will say yes, but the answer is no. Supporting weaker hardware does not, in any way, project the limitations of said weaker hardware unto faster systems. The enemy is not separate configurations with differing specs, the enemy is the attachment some devs have to parity between configurations in terms of visual suites.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The real question is if it will screw up some multiplats for the higher end system like what is happening with some games right now that run better on the Pro than the X, since the X versions are pretty much just the weaker XBO versions scaled up and not actually enhanced.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it won't. Every game is developed with different graphic settings, they will just tweak some things and run it at lower resolution.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
If lockhart is the same machine but only digital and focused on 1080p, I don't see it having much impact on next gen games.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

If no one buys it, why take it into consideration?

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
MS software prowess and advanced tools. Devs will fully code for Anaconda with no compromises. Games will auto scale down to Lockhart. It'll be fun looking back at these "concern" threads.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it'll lower the baseline, but I think it'll have an affect on Lockhart to Scarlett games... Probably few and far between but the launch of The Outer Worlds comes to mind when thinking about Xbox One/S to Xbox One X. I have to assume PS5 will be the lead development platform after this generation. Who knows.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
no
games are scalable
just look at pc
with these things being even closer if not just flat out pc architecture at this point it should be even easier to make it work across multiple variants of hardware and settings in software.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Does a GPU from 4 years ago prohibit devs from building features for new RTX cards?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It cannot compromise on ssd tech or cpu, else it probably will. Next gen is more than resolution. These upgrades will allow so much more on components like AI, physics, world loading etc. It will need to be able to do that, else I hope third parties drop it like the wiiu.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Console folks who don't know how scalable modern engines can be will say yes, but the answer is no. Supporting weaker hardware does not, in any way, project the limitations of said weaker hardware unto faster systems. The enemy is not separate configurations with differing specs, the enemy is the attachment some devs have to parity between configurations in terms of visual suites.

Even though you argue "no." You realize you're a firm "yes" right? All be it in a situational way (Devs) the answer is still yes.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If that is the case Sony first party games will be the best looking next gen console games

It would be a big blow to Xbox

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
yes, it has a slower CPU per the verge and the weaker GPU will most likely mean it can push less polygons regardless of resolution so models will be made with a lower polygon count.
and then you have MS pushing developers for lockhart to be 1440p60, which basically means no gains gen over gen in terms of graphics.
MS software prowess and advanced tools. Devs will fully code for Anaconda with no compromises. Games will auto scale down to Lockhart. It'll be fun looking back at these "concern" threads.
you should talk to a developer on consoles once before speaking nonsense.
The CPU and RAM will be the same look for a lower GPU specs. Everything will be fine.
the verge reported the CPU is slower.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, so here's hoping that the rumor it's not real. I really don't need my multiplat games to be held back by it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Many people quoting the scalability simply aren't taking into account that many developers will get their game running on the lowest common denominator of the systems. Then they would essentially upscale for the higher end versions, hampering a lot of extra details and resources that would be available if they only had to code for the higher end system.

Nobody is saying (at least, they shouldn't be) that the higher end versions won't run / look better. They're saying that they're not going to look as good as they could if they only had to build for the higher end model.

EnvyMKII

Nov 3, 2017
Considering PC development is usually built around a variety of system setups etc. I don't see why it would be an issue. Game's have been built around multiple platforms for a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.