• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A stray thought. Ive been seeing some lingo typically reserved for console wars talk be used around this recent discussion of having different storefronts other than Steam on PC. A lot of it reminds me of the embarrassing Bayonetta 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider discussion.

"Money hat this!", "Money hat that!".

As if exclusives aren't a common part of the industry. Typically it's a good practice to avoid console wars and port begging, but what exempts the PC space from these labels?

Is complaining that [Game] not coming to [platform] more acceptable if the discussion is PC Centric? By all means, but whatever you will wherever you will, but it seems so silly to me when consoles are multi hundered dollar investments and downloading a new launcher, no matter how good or bad, is free.

Shouldn't there be less incentive to "port beg" so to speak? I really just don't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the focus on "pro-consumer" discussions would paint any inconvenience to the end user as anti-consumer and thus awful.
I would think competition would be a good thing especially since it's not like competing streaming services that you need to pay to access exclusive content or having to buy a new console, you just install a new platform.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Don't recall RotTR, but Bayonetta 2 is a special case. If it wasn't for Nintendo, the game wouldn't exist.

Anyways, the problem here with Epic is that they didn't help fund those games. They were ready to be released on Steam before Epic came in. And since Epic store is quite barebones, and doesn't allow people to buy the game from other stores (GMG, Fanatical, Amazon), they basically control all sales of those games.

In case of Bethesda, their store and launcher are a complete mess. People, for good reason, don't want to trust their personal info to a company that has such a buggy software that that info is leaked easily.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A stray thought. Ive been seeing some lingo typically reserved for console wars talk be used around this recent discussion of having different storefronts other than Steam on PC. A lot of it reminds me of the embarrassing Bayonetta 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider discussion.

"Money hat this!", "Money hat that!".

As if exclusives aren't a common part of the industry. Typically it's a good practice to avoid console wars and port begging, but what exempts the PC space from these labels?

Is complaining that [Game] not coming to [platform] more acceptable if the discussion is PC Centric? By all means, but whatever you will wherever you will, but it seems so silly to me when consoles are multi hundered dollar investments and downloading a new launcher, no matter how good or bad, is free.

Shouldn't there be less incentive to "port beg" so to speak? I really just don't get it.

As far as I know, neither the Epic Store not Steam are platforms. So it's not platform warring, and there's no portbegging involved.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
1. It's not because something is part of the industry that it's something good. Online paywall is a common part in the industry on consoles. I'll riot if someone tries to bring that on PC.
2. Steam isn't a platform. Neither is the Epic Store. That's the administration stance. And if it was, a LOT of shit posters would have to be banned. And not the ones you're accusing of port begging.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Soon as epic makes their own PCs that can only run the Epic Games store. Sorta like Steam tried with Steam boxes.

Oh what that would make it a console?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People don't think content is a feature. So they are upset and think inconvenience is anti-consumer.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit weird that these things should be labelled wars, and a discussion about the shift that Epic has brought on shouldn't be able to be discussed with pros and cons of what this means for us a customers.

Some of these terms, alongside the fanboy comments that has been thrown around as well, seem to stem more from some peoples urge to label things and people, and as a tool to easily dismiss posts and arguments, rather then something that actually contributes to the discussion.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
When a client becomes a walled garden that works on specific hardware.

I don't see it as port begging, tbh.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

console portbegging is a thing because console exclusives happen all the time. thats the one new feature the epic storefront has, console-style 3rd party exclusives.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This topic is likely to just pit people against each other and kickstart a conversation about platform exclusivity and PC storefronts that is already happening in multiple threads. This thread is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.